Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-30-2015, 12:10 PM   #57
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
They are trying their hardest to tempt me into a sixth gen. Had a blast with my 1LE at the track last weekend and am excited about the prospect of something even better becoming available. I would love to keep my fifth gen and add a V6 sixth gen for a daily driver.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:15 PM   #58
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
plastic suspension pieces? I'm all for saving weight... but I hate using plastic for structural parts... looks like my old Green Machine handle... which broke

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_smVBx1O3ze...hine%2B037.jpg
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:19 PM   #59
RaceAir

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE w/RS
All my brothers, please be careful about all the moaning about an interior. Remember that the majority of interior accoutrements are not optional from Chevy.They jack up the price of a vehicle and are harder to clean (and modify). Keep the engineers focused on power and handling, not about silly accents in the dash or stitching on a seat.

Never forget the Camaro is a muscle car. Lose sight of that and you get a diluted mess of a "world car" like the Mustang (which has seriously lost its way). Fight the urge to rice it up, Chevy, and keep our prices (and curb weights) low.
RaceAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:19 PM   #60
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
plastic suspension pieces? I'm all for saving weight... but I hate using plastic for structural parts... looks like my old Green Machine handle... which broke

FYI composite doesn't mean plastic. An M1 Abrams tank armor is made of composite materials.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:23 PM   #61
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post

Think sway bar end links like the one pictured by GM. Most of their small and midize cars use composite sway bar end links. You won't see composite a-arms or suspension sub frame work (which they said the suspension framing is aluminum).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:36 PM   #62
Jbryant910

Drives: 2014 Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Look at the caption for the first picture on the right in the gm article. Specifically says "curb weight"
Ok, thanks!
Jbryant910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:38 PM   #63
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceAir View Post
All my brothers, please be careful about all the moaning about an interior. Remember that the majority of interior accoutrements are not optional from Chevy.They jack up the price of a vehicle and are harder to clean (and modify). Keep the engineers focused on power and handling, not about silly accents in the dash or stitching on a seat.

Never forget the Camaro is a muscle car. Lose sight of that and you get a diluted mess of a "world car" like the Mustang (which has seriously lost its way). Fight the urge to rice it up, Chevy, and keep our prices (and curb weights) low.
I'm sorry but if I'm paying 40+ grand for a car, it better have a damn fine interior in it. I'm not even going to get started with the muscle car comment. Those IMO were made in the 60's.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:46 PM   #64
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
This is great news. -200 lbs curb weight and 455-465 horsepower lt1 this thing is going to be a blast to drive.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:46 PM   #65
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
I'm sorry but if I'm paying 40+ grand for a car, it better have a damn fine interior in it. I'm not even going to get started with the muscle car comment. Those IMO were made in the 60's.
This

At least means that in certain trims the minimum expected savings is 200 pounds and in some configurations it could be more. I would not interpret this to mean 200 as the best comparison with some being less.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:47 PM   #66
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPODFAN11 View Post
Think sway bar end links like the one pictured by GM. Most of their small and midize cars use composite sway bar end links. You won't see composite a-arms or suspension sub frame work (which they said the suspension framing is aluminum).

I've installed lots of sway bar links... I'd never buy some cheap crappy looking plastic parts like they show. what they save... 2 ounces for a crap looking part? it's a cost savings sold as some weight savings miracle... hopefully they put that crap on the V6's.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:54 PM   #67
69RSSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS/RS
Are we ready to start guessing at the cost of the 6th gen? The thing sounds like it is going to be amazing. With an updated interior (we're hoping for), and the lighter weight (more expensive materials???), do we think GM will be able to keep the Camaro at the same price point it has been at?
69RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:58 PM   #68
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
A 3500lb weight would put in classic Muscle Car territory.
I'm not too worried about design changes because I'm thinking Chevy wants to continue selling more cars than the rest but when I read all the whining that went on because of the tail light improvements on the
'14-'15 models I can only imagine what's coming in May. If you already have an earlier model and think it's the Cat's Meow then keep it but models do change over time save for the old VW's and perhaps the 911 Porsche which remained the same forever. Keep up the good work Chevy!
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:12 PM   #69
redjerry

Drives: 2012 2SS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody6.2 View Post
Comparing two cars that aren't even in production yet, awesome.
hahahahahaha!!!!! noice
redjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:15 PM   #70
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
The PR post specifically says "reduce total curb weight for the new Camaro by more than 200 pounds". My curiosity is whether they are referring to each variant from 2015 to 2016 or if only the top model or bottom model has shaved over 200 lbs. Those with the composite suspension members will have the most weight savings, but those probably only come with the heavier/stiffer pistons on the performance variants to keep them highly competitive on paper.

Personal note 1: Looks like the center console will be going to a more traditional affair with a normal center stack in the dash. I think this is a good thing. I'm looking forward to something more ergonomic and easier to customize.

Personal note 2: My fear that Gen6 is going to end up looking like a Scion FR-S competitor have not yet been quelled. I hope it has all been epic misdirect with the front clip, hood and those lights. "Body by Veilside, lights by APC, bred for the '95 Eclipse, now available in American RWD"? ;o(
My thinking is/was that the composite pieces are for the V6 or lower trim levels as I would think they are weaker compared to the aluminum.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 camaro pounds, 2016 camaro spy, 2016 camaro spy photo, 2016 camaro spy photos, 2016 camaro spy pics, 2016 camaro weighs, 2016 camaro weight, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2016 chevy camaro pounds, 2016 chevy camaro weight, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen camaro weight, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation