Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-25-2020, 01:46 PM   #1
puppykat33

Drives: Black 2019 ZL1 M6,
Is Tune necessarry???

So i contacted a vengeance to install an borla cat back s-type exhaust and told them that i would be putting on a CAI myself and they told me that i really should tune it after. I ask them if it was absolutely necessary and they said that with every upgrade ie: exhaust= tune, CAI = tune ect even though the manufacturer states it doesn't. What is everyone consensus on this? I am not going to tune it until warranty is up so do i just wait on the CAI and other bolt on parts till then?
2019 Black ZL1, M6, CF Hood and Dash, Nav System, ZL1 Addons rock guards and lift points, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, DD Smoked Marker Lights, Ceramic window tint, Gtechniq 9yr ceramic coating. JL Audio stealth box 12W6, Dyanamat trunk, Dead pedal cover, Soler TB/TC, Green Filter, Carbon-fiber Borla S-Type
puppykat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:54 PM   #2
Tank22

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 1LE
I can tell you many of my dealers install GM Performance Exhaust (Made by Borla for GM) and none of them tune the car.

Depending on the intake you choose that could create the need for a tune. If your car is under warranty DO NOT TUNE THE CAR. Its not worth voiding your entire engine warranty. The gains from an intake on a ZL1 are not worth flushing your warranty down the drain.

If you were to change supercharger, do a cam, head work, long tube headers... then do an intake because your warranty is gone.
Tank22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:07 PM   #3
puppykat33

Tank

I'm not going to tune it. The intake is the cold air inductions carbon elite and it states it doesn't require a tune but neither does any cat back exhaust i have seen that's why i am wondering why vengance is saying otherwise? I respect them and i know they know what they are talking about. I am just confused as to the difference in information from manufactures to them.
2019 Black ZL1, M6, CF Hood and Dash, Nav System, ZL1 Addons rock guards and lift points, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, DD Smoked Marker Lights, Ceramic window tint, Gtechniq 9yr ceramic coating. JL Audio stealth box 12W6, Dyanamat trunk, Dead pedal cover, Soler TB/TC, Green Filter, Carbon-fiber Borla S-Type
Old 09-25-2020, 02:21 PM   #4
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
No tune required for a CAI or exhaust!
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:21 PM   #5
puppykat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
No tune required for a CAI or exhaust!
Thats what i thought too
Old 09-25-2020, 02:22 PM   #6
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppykat33 View Post
Tank

The intake is the cold air inductions carbon elite and it states it doesn't require a tune but neither does any cat back exhaust i have seen that's why i am wondering why vengance is saying otherwise?
I hear you about Vengeance - they built my cam/bolt-on 5th Gen car. They build some awesome cars. They are also in the business to sell, install and tune performance parts so they will have a strong bias to recommend tuning anything that comes in their shop. It helps that the voided power train warranty falls on you not them.

If they don't want the exhaust work unless you let them tune it - I'd go elsewhere. It's you car and your money.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:23 PM   #7
Tank22

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Tank

I'm not going to tune it. The intake is the cold air inductions carbon elite and it states it doesn't require a tune but neither does any cat back exhaust i have seen that's why i am wondering why vengance is saying otherwise? I respect them and i know they know what they are talking about. I am just confused as to the difference in information from manufactures to them.
I can't speak to the reputation of that shop. I can only tell you what my dealers have done. I am a field rep for GM Performance/GM Accessories and have 27 Dealers in my Region that routinely use these parts. You can always use the GM Performance intake and not worry about warranty. An aftermarket one can be an issue... and if it does throw a check engine light or has issues with throttle body... sensors or tuning it could be blamed on your aftermarket intake and thus not warrantied.

Just trying to look out for ya.
Tank22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:46 PM   #8
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
So i contacted a vengeance to install an borla cat back s-type exhaust and told them that i would be putting on a CAI myself and they told me that i really should tune it after. I ask them if it was absolutely necessary and they said that with every upgrade ie: exhaust= tune, CAI = tune ect even though the manufacturer states it doesn't. What is everyone consensus on this? I am not going to tune it until warranty is up so do i just wait on the CAI and other bolt on parts till then?
Not every upgrade requires a tune. So that's a bunch of BS.

A tune for a cat back system? Hell no. Removing the cats requires a tune? Hell no.

A cold air intake.....eh. Only if it will mess with your air to fuel ratio then maybe so but more than likely....hell no.

Even combining a cat back exhaust and a cold air intake doesn't call for a tune.

When it comes to headers, pulley swap, head swap or a cam. Yes, you need to get a tune.

You can tune a stock car and get a few extra ponies out of it but if you have a warranty and want to keep it, there's no need.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:48 PM   #9
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank22 View Post
I can't speak to the reputation of that shop. I can only tell you what my dealers have done. I am a field rep for GM Performance/GM Accessories and have 27 Dealers in my Region that routinely use these parts. You can always use the GM Performance intake and not worry about warranty. An aftermarket one can be an issue... and if it does throw a check engine light or has issues with throttle body... sensors or tuning it could be blamed on your aftermarket intake and thus not warrantied.

Just trying to look out for ya.
Does the GM Performance intake work on the ZL1? I thought it was designed for the SS or other trims, and I thought it comes with a tune. But seems like the tune only works for the SS, or ZL1 owners would get this for extra power with GM warranty.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:04 PM   #10
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Cat Back of any brand or Roto Fab intake (not the big gulp) will not need a tune.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:16 PM   #11
puppykat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Does the GM Performance intake work on the ZL1? I thought it was designed for the SS or other trims, and I thought it comes with a tune. But seems like the tune only works for the SS, or ZL1 owners would get this for extra power with GM warranty.
cold air inductions makes the gm performance intake but i don't see one through gm for the ZL1
Old 09-26-2020, 04:49 AM   #12
Flowtie1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
GM performance also sells headers for our cars now. They are ARH .
Old 09-26-2020, 05:02 AM   #13
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
I can’t comment on your conversation with VR, but having been a customer of VR since 2006, I have only known them to be absolutely professional and ethical interacting with customers or potential customers. FWIW, a tune is neither a “must have” or a “should have” with most CAIs and/or cat backs. There are a few CAI’s like the big gulp that require a tune, but the commonly installed CAIs do not. Absent a change in front of the first cats, or to the cats themselves, a cat back/axle back also does not impact anything necessary to change the stock tune.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:50 AM   #14
puppykat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
I can’t comment on your conversation with VR, but having been a customer of VR since 2006, I have only known them to be absolutely professional and ethical interacting with customers or potential customers. FWIW, a tune is neither a “must have” or a “should have” with most CAIs and/or cat backs. There are a few CAI’s like the big gulp that require a tune, but the commonly installed CAIs do not. Absent a change in front of the first cats, or to the cats themselves, a cat back/axle back also does not impact anything necessary to change the stock tune.
Yea this is what i have come to learn too but i am still wondering why they told me this?