#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-20-2021, 11:26 AM   #1
firstcamaroowner

Drives: Chevy Camaro ZL1
Trunk release on ZL1 1LE with no battery

Hi all,

So I had one of those moments today. I had disconnected the negative battery cable in the truck. Some time later, I accidentally closed the trunk, so now it will not open. Given that this is a ZL1 1LE, the back seats are fixed. Any one know how to open the trunk now? I called the dealer and they mentioned about a hole in the back seat behind the driver but I cannot find that darn hole. The service person has not seen it before either?

Any help appreciated.
firstcamaroowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:34 AM   #2
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Fold back seats down, crawl into trunk and pull glow in the dark handle for trunk release.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:34 AM   #3
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
can you hook up another battery to the terminals in the engine compartment to get enough voltage to pop the trunk? wondering if that would actually work with the battery not connected lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
Fold back seats down, crawl into trunk and pull glow in the dark handle for trunk release.
ZLE doesn't have foldable back seats
Old 04-20-2021, 11:37 AM   #4
firstcamaroowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
can you hook up another battery to the terminals in the engine compartment to get enough voltage to pop the trunk?

ZLE doesn't have foldable back seats
I tried with the battery terminals but nothing. I will leave the tender for a little longer. Does it make a difference that I disconnected the negative cable from the battery?
Old 04-20-2021, 11:41 AM   #5
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstcamaroowner View Post
I tried with the battery terminals but nothing. I will leave the tender for a little longer. Does it make a difference that I disconnected the negative cable from the battery?
A battery tender is a trickle charger. If your battery is that dead, it's going to be a while before you can bring the battery up enough. If you have a regular battery charger, or a car that you can jump from, you'd be better off.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:46 AM   #6
firstcamaroowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaue View Post
A battery tender is a trickle charger. If your battery is that dead, it's going to be a while before you can bring the battery up enough. If you have a regular battery charger, or a car that you can jump from, you'd be better off.
To clarify, the battery is fine, I just disconnected the negative cable from the trunk (to replace the cluster).
Old 04-20-2021, 11:46 AM   #7
Jaxcam02

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaue View Post
yes, this. trickle charger is doing nothing since its not charging a disconnected battery. You need to add voltage from a fully charged battery or another vehicle. Even so, I am not sure if using a fully charged outside source will work but its worth a try.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:47 AM   #8
firstcamaroowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
yes, this. trickle charger is doing nothing since its not charging a disconnected battery. You need to add voltage from a fully charged battery or another vehicle. Even so, I am not sure if using a fully charged outside source will work but its worth a try.
I will try that. Thank you everyone for the suggestions
Old 04-20-2021, 11:48 AM   #9
Jaxcam02

Quote:
I will try that. Thank you everyone for the suggestions
let us know if it works.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:19 PM   #10
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
Oh interesting... So there is no key hole at all on the trunk, not even a hidden one right above the license plate? Ouch!

As a note, about ZLE backseats, my understanding is that you *can* fold them down, but the button is only accessible from within the trunk. This video shows how to do it:

How to fold seats back on a 2018 Camaro ZL1

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:41 PM   #11
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Yes. The seats can be folded down but for some reason GM took the strap away.

Just get a strap and attach it to the mechanism so this can be easily avoided next time.

Just hook up to the front terminals under the hood and there will be enough power to pop it. Do just like you would if you were jumping a vehicle off.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:57 PM   #12
firstcamaroowner

That did it!!

Thank you all. I hooked the car to another running car and I was able to open the trunk. Who knew it is so complicated to open the trunk (even the dealer basically said I have no idea :( ).

Thank you all for the help. I will look into the straps for the back seats, but hopefully there is no next time
Old 04-20-2021, 01:25 PM   #13
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Hi all,

So I had one of those moments today. I had disconnected the negative battery cable in the truck. Some time later, I accidentally closed the trunk, so now it will not open. Given that this is a ZL1 1LE, the back seats are fixed. Any one know how to open the trunk now? I called the dealer and they mentioned about a hole in the back seat behind the driver but I cannot find that darn hole. The service person has not seen it before either?

Any help appreciated.
If the car is unlocked, skip to step 4.
1. Remove metal physical key from the key fob.
2. Use it to pry the cover off the fixed portion of the driver's door handle (take care not to scratch things).
3. Then use it again to open the car.
4. Pop the Hood.
5. Connect a 12v source to the jump posts at the fuse box.
6. Push the trunk button on the driver's door.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:27 PM   #14
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
If the car is unlocked, skip to step 4.
1. Remove metal physical key from the key fob.
2. Use it to pry the cover off the fixed portion of the driver's door handle (take care not to scratch things).
3. Then use it again to open the car.
4. Pop the Hood.
5. Connect a 12v source to the jump posts at the fuse box.
6. Push the trunk button on the driver's door.

Or you just take the 10 seconds to fold the rear seat down and open it from the inside

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote