Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-16-2021, 11:54 PM   #1
Jparker

Drives: 2018 2LT Camaro RS
Question New to car modifications; need advice

Hello everyone! I am a younger guy looking to get into modifying my vehicle. I currently have a '18 2LT Camaro A8
Right now it's got a cold air intake installed, but im looking to beef up the sound a bit. I've looked online and people are recommending a muffler delete as the first step, but i have also seen multiple people on those forms warning about drone. What is drone and how bad is it with a muffler delete?
Will any exhaust modification cause this drone? I've also heard that getting an x pipe is very much the way to go. What is the difference between all these and what is a basic cheap way to get some good sound going from a v6?
Jparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:42 AM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Don't do a muffler delete.

Do something like this instead, which sounds good:

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:05 AM   #3
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
I have a 2018 V6, and have the Flowmaster American Thunder axle back on mine. Personally I think it sounds as good as Borla, and it's a couple hundred dollars cheaper. No drone either
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:31 AM   #4
Jparker

Could you provide a video of what that sounds like? I like the sound of the borla, but i also would like a slightly deeper sound if possible..
Old 04-17-2021, 09:36 AM   #5
HCI2000SS

If you're asking me I don't have any videos, but there are plenty on YouTube which will sound exactly the same. It will definitely sound deeper than the stock exhaust. That was one of the first things I noticed
Old 04-17-2021, 09:44 AM   #6
Jparker

Will do! Would you happen to know what an x-pipe does? I've heard they're a must-have
Old 04-17-2021, 09:57 AM   #7
HCI2000SS

From what I've heard (on the V6 specifically) the x-pipe will give a slightly deeper and smoother sound, and can be slightly quieter overall. I thought about doing it on mine, but considering the extra cost and fabrication, the bang for the buck just doesn't seem worth it to me
Old 04-17-2021, 10:16 AM   #8
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jparker View Post
Hello everyone! I am a younger guy looking to get into modifying my vehicle. I currently have a '18 2LT Camaro A8
Right now it's got a cold air intake installed, but im looking to beef up the sound a bit. I've looked online and people are recommending a muffler delete as the first step, but i have also seen multiple people on those forms warning about drone. What is drone and how bad is it with a muffler delete?
Will any exhaust modification cause this drone? I've also heard that getting an x pipe is very much the way to go. What is the difference between all these and what is a basic cheap way to get some good sound going from a v6?
Drone is a sound created by metal pipes vibrating at a specific frequency. It is a sound that some people are more sensitive to than others and it typically happens during sustained lower rpms such as highway cruising. You probably heard from others about a muffler delete because it will save you a lot of money, and yes it will. I did a muffler delete, but I have a V8, so I would rather have another v6 owner with a muffler delete give you more exact details for your set up. What I can tell you is I was super happy after my muffler delete, I got the sound I wanted for $100 compared to what I feel are ridiculously overpriced catbacks and axlebacks costing several hundred dollars (some over $1,000+) available for our cars. Also keep in mind, before you allow someone to tell you a muffler delete sounds like crap, realize that the majority of "race exhausts" sold by vendors are also basically muffler deletes as well.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:38 PM   #9
CodeCody

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
I got the sound I wanted for $100 compared to what I feel are ridiculously overpriced catbacks and axlebacks costing several hundred dollars (some over $1,000+) available for our cars. Also keep in mind, before you allow someone to tell you a muffler delete sounds like crap, realize that the majority of "race exhausts" sold by vendors are also basically muffler deletes as well.
IMO there's no question that catbacks and axle backs are overpriced. However, most people get them anyway because I haven't heard a muffler delete sound as good as Borla, Corsa, AWE(catbacks anyway). There is also the aesthetic look for the exhaust tips as well, which is superior to stock.

If OP is not in New York or California, get a catback to get more sound for your buck and remember that modifying cars is a pay to play game. A muffler delete on a V6 will not sound impressive at all.

EDIT: I forgot he has an A8, so for catback AWE is the only option I know that comes with AFM mounts.
CodeCody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delete, exhaust, lgx, xpipe