Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-22-2021, 08:58 AM   #1
ModernCamaroZ28Fan
LT1_Radenso

Drives: a 2 spd water bottle
Are you treated any differently when you drive your Camaro than a typical car?

What are your experiences on the road when getting in a car versus getting some that is considered more of the "norm" or "typical". Do people see you as a douchebag for driving a car, failing to let you in, cutting in front of you, not letting you merge?

Or are you often respected more, getting waves here and there? Maybe, you don't notice a single difference.

Share some of your experiences here, and what to expect for a potential new buyer of a Camaro.

(sorry my grammar and/or writing structure isn't the best)

ModernCamaroZ28Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:09 AM   #2
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
I'd say that I usually experience a mix of good/bad additional attention. I've owned several cars that stick out more than usual. Some people will tailgate you, get extra close at stoplights, expect you to go 15+ over the speed limit (even through town), etc. Then there are others that will ask questions about the car, give a thumbs, yell compliments, etc. Its kind of the luck of the draw IMO, depending on the day/situation.

I would say one of the larger areas of concern (for me anyway) is when the car is parked somewhere unattended. It is begging for attention even when sitting harmlessly in a spot. I give my best attempt to avoid any possible issues, but it is going to take one time of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:14 AM   #3
brap999

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernCamaroZ28Fan View Post
Do people see you as a douchebag for driving a car, failing to let you in, cutting in front of you, not letting you merge?
Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

A few years ago I pulled up to the gas station, and i normally pull all the way through to the furthest pump so someone can pull in and use the pump behind me, however this time the furthest pump was broken and there was a sign saying it was out of service. So I didn't pull all the way up. A woman pulled in to another pump, saw me, and then loudly (so everyone could hear her) asked if I was 'too good to pull up so people could pull in behind me' - it took me a second to realize she was talking to me, and at that moment some other guy who i didn't know came to my defense and pointed out to her the other pump was out of service. She immediately shut up and hid behind her pump the rest of the time

Another time I pulled into a 7-11 and some older guy loudly told his buddy that 'my daddy must have bought my car for me' - I kindly informed him I was 39 years old (at time) and that i was infact was old enough to afford my own cars. Him and his buddy just walked off with no response.

I've been on dates with girlfriends in the past in other cars where other guys try to flex in front of me and my girlfriend and say rude or ignorant stuff. Over all its just really tiresome sometimes and I prefer to just drive my cars in the evenings when no one is around and bring them straight back home. I typically keep them hidden in the garage. I live in a large metro area though, so maybe this isn't the norm ever where.

Cars have always been my hobby since before I was old enough to drive, so of course i'm attracted to fun, fast, or interesting stuff. Others will see it and think you're some kind of douche that just wants to show off.
1998 Dodge Viper GTS
1972 Pontiac GTO
1963 Chevy C10 short bed, T5, 350, lowered
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:16 AM   #4
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Can’t say as I’ve had any negative experience/ attention in over 2yrs of having a 6gen.

Well, perhaps except from grouse.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:18 AM   #5
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Very little difference.
Recently a gentlemen in an older vette at a gas station complimented my car , and so did a girl at a Starbucks. As far as aggression on the road, very little, except for that one brodozer!!!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:20 AM   #6
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by brap999 View Post
Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

A few years ago I pulled up to the gas station, and i normally pull all the way through to the furthest pump so someone can pull in and use the pump behind me, however this time the furthest pump was broken and there was a sign saying it was out of service. So I didn't pull all the way up. A woman pulled in to another pump, saw me, and then loudly (so everyone could hear her) asked if I was 'too good to pull up so people could pull in behind me' - it took me a second to realize she was talking to me, and at that moment some other guy who i didn't know came to my defense and pointed out to her the other pump was out of service. She immediately shut up and hid behind her pump the rest of the time

Another time I pulled into a 7-11 and some older guy loudly told his buddy that 'my daddy must have bought my car for me' - I kindly informed him I was 39 years old (at time) and that i was infact was old enough to afford my own cars. Him and his buddy just walked off with no response.

I've been on dates with girlfriends in the past in other cars where other guys try to flex in front of me and my girlfriend and say rude or ignorant stuff. Over all its just really tiresome sometimes and I prefer to just drive my cars in the evenings when no one is around and bring them straight back home. I typically keep them hidden in the garage. I live in a large metro area though, so maybe this isn't the norm ever where.

Cars have always been my hobby since before I was old enough to drive, so of course i'm attracted to fun, fast, or interesting stuff. Others will see it and think you're some kind of douche that just wants to show off.

I can confirm people in NOVA are extremely rude in general.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:25 AM   #7
Staves

Drives: women crazy
I get “beautiful car” sometimes from some people. Didn’t hear that much when I had my Jetta.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:28 AM   #8
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yes to everything you posted especially since I have owned a ZL1 for 2 years now. Every driver or most out there in a suv, truck, mini van, import and a Challenger/Charger thinks they are race car drivers driving a race car when they see me driving my ZL1. I guess they have bragging rights if they outrun me which I let them because I don’t have anything to prove when driving my Camaro. I’m surely not going to get a speeding ticket or street racing violation trying to prove it either. Sometimes though if a douche bag keeps screwing with me I have to take the challenge and show them what a silver ZL1 will do.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:37 AM   #9
Dagstar

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Very little difference.
Recently a gentlemen in an older vette at a gas station complimented my car , and so did a girl at a Starbucks. As far as aggression on the road, very little, except for that one brodozer!!!
Yeah, if I get any aggressiveness it's from trucks, or occasionally an average commuter vehicle (like a base Mazda 3 the other day). Even years ago my buddy took me out in his moderately modded 2nd gen for a short drive, not hammering on it or anything, and sure enough a truck shows up beside us and starts revving. The majority of the time though I get compliments from all people all ages.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:40 AM   #10
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
Nope... People still cut me off and don't care about others.

And no one asked me to race.. Camaro or Tercel is same story.
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:51 AM   #11
Minerbros66

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS, 2018 Shelby Raptor
I get quite a few compliments and people in their watermelon sized exhaust Hondas wanting to race. As far as aggression it seems to be mostly dudes in diesel trucks that are the issue, other then them I actually seem to have more people let me in or give me space in my car than my winter beater.
Also I've stopped driving my car or truck to the dealership to look at cars to buy because they instantly peg you as someone who can afford whatever they want to charge you. I have a 2002 Silverado *rust special* that I take now and most of the time They don't even come out to me like they do when I drive anything else. Good way to tell the type of salesmen you are dealing with!
2018 Shelby Baja Raptor #87
Minerbros66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:58 AM   #12
ll Hexy

Drives: 2021 Camaro ss
Drove Chevy all my life. Impalas and Silverados. Nobody ever told me “hey man nice truck” or “sweet ride dude” in the truck or the impala. Six months in the SS and I’ve had several compliments at the gas stations, grocery stores, drive thrus, and the mall. Most of the compliments being on the riverside blue metallic with the black racing stripes and black wheels design.

Some sketchy dude in a stolen 2003 Amg who claimed to work at a sketchy local body shop in town even offered his service to me at the gas station if I ever needed work done to the car. I smiled and nodded but thought “hell nah”. This was after I had declined him on a highway drag race.

Road wise, I’ve had a few jacked up trucks rev in my vicinity like they think they can out run me. I’ve just let them go so far. Not worth it.
ll Hexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:12 AM   #13
Wobble Goat

Drives: Camaro 1SS
• Parking the Camaro I often get a person or 2 telling me its a beautiful car. I thank them, tell them its used and I just try to keep it clean.
• Driving the Camaro everyone tries to drive faster than me and I often get Challengers and other Camaros trying to roll race.

My other car isn't exactly a "norm"; either people REALLY like it and know nothing about it OR they absolutely hate it, and need me to know they hate it.

• Idling people that tell me the car is badass.
• Highway driving EVERYTHING tries to instigate me into a race, and 90% of the time after 1 pull they never get even with me again.
• Normal (not aggressive) driving on streets; Surprising amount of hate. You would think I have written on the side, "Just clubbed a bunch of baby seals."

The GTO brings out the weird in people.

Last edited by Wobble Goat; 03-22-2021 at 10:29 AM.
Wobble Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:19 AM   #14
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
No difference at all for me.
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote