Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-21-2021, 09:43 AM   #1
ckt227

Drives: CHEVROLET CORVETTE
Street Racing Idiots

Can someone please explain this to me. I have a 2019 Grand Sport Corvette (waiting on my 2SS 1LE to be built. Weather has been great so I drive with the windows down, Sirus XM channel 38 cranked up (Hair Nation- I know I know, sad but I like it). In the last week I have had a BMW 3 Series with what appeared to be after market exhaust or maybe just a bunch of holes in it go out of the way to get out of a turning lane at a red light, pull next to me downshift and punch it. I am a 50 year retired first responder. He does this twice. I pay him no attention. He floors it and goes. Follow that up the other day with a BMW M3. I stop at 2 stop signs because your supposed to stop. He gets pissed and runs through both riding my rear bumper the proceeds to whip around me while driver and passenger give me the lets go arm motions. Ignore them, driver waves goodbye and stomps it. Then the other day, same thing with two guys in Subaru WRX.

My question is two fold, I have a feeling this will continue whether I am in the Camaro (if they ever build it TPW 3/22 not gonna happen)or Vette and are you experiencing the same BS in your Camaro? And why do the idiot passengers who probably have nothing to do with owning or paying for the car run their mouth? Sorry about the long post. Thanks to the responsible and sensible F Body drivers out there
ckt227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:48 AM   #2
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckt227 View Post
Can someone please explain this to me. I have a 2019 Grand Sport Corvette (waiting on my 2SS 1LE to be built. Weather has been great so I drive with the windows down, Sirus XM channel 38 cranked up (Hair Nation- I know I know, sad but I like it). In the last week I have had a BMW 3 Series with what appeared to be after market exhaust or maybe just a bunch of holes in it go out of the way to get out of a turning lane at a red light, pull next to me downshift and punch it. I am a 50 year retired first responder. He does this twice. I pay him no attention. He floors it and goes. Follow that up the other day with a BMW M3. I stop at 2 stop signs because your supposed to stop. He gets pissed and runs through both riding my rear bumper the proceeds to whip around me while driver and passenger give me the lets go arm motions. Ignore them, driver waves goodbye and stomps it. Then the other day, same thing with two guys in Subaru WRX.

My question is two fold, I have a feeling this will continue whether I am in the Camaro (if they ever build it TPW 3/22 not gonna happen)or Vette and are you experiencing the same BS in your Camaro? And why do the idiot passengers who probably have nothing to do with owning or paying for the car run their mouth? Sorry about the long post. Thanks to the responsible and sensible F Body drivers out there
I laughed quite hard at this. Yes, it will continue to happen in either the vette or the camaro. You will always appear as street race bait to the street racers out there. Its only going to stop happening if you drive an econobox or minivan
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:49 AM   #3
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
I have exactly the opposite situation - fast and slow cars alike won't even look at me. I've owned this car 9 months and only had two or three digs.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:57 AM   #4
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
So, long story short here. I've been trying to sell my buddies BMW 335i while he was deployed in Japan the last few months. It just sold yesterday actually. Anyways, the majority of the people who were coming to look at it were kids in their early to mid 20s. What I've learned is that BMWs are now more of a fanboy brand with the mids 2000s models. On top of that, I've learned the quality of BMW components is absolute crap. Everything is brittle plastic and constantly breaks. That brand of car is just junk and, when you hear people say your paying for the brand name, well hell, it sure isn't a brand name with quality. Rant over.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:27 AM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
German Car Rule #1: Never own one out of warranty.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:34 AM   #6
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
I just get red necks in trucks in my area.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:36 AM   #7
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Yep. My first week of owning my 1LE, was out driving my daughter to the Dr. office. Just cruising along. Turned from a one lane road onto a 2 lane behind an 18 wheeler that had just turned onto road coming from opposite direction and had two events happened in a row:
1) I moderately accelerate, figuring I'll be passing the 18 wheeler (avoid rocks being thrown up, etc); but he decides he's going to make a race of it. After we hit 55 in a 45, I just backed off and let him go ahead. With my luck, a cop is just up ahead.

2) No more than 10 seconds later, I'm now in the right lane doing about 50 (speed limit still 45) and a tesla model 3 flies by me doing about 75 or 80, gets only a few hundred feet ahead, swerves into the right lane, breaks very hard, and turns into a side street on on the right. Totally unnecessary and obviously done to show me up (as I was just cruising along).

I guess the appearance of the car is enough to motive others to feel the need to challenge, regardless of how you are actually behaving at the time. I'll just ignore it and move on, saving my HP for quite backroads and the track.
N Camarolina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:48 AM   #8
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Everyone becomes Mario Andretti when they see me. Only a select few actually get the chance.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:06 AM   #9
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
Everyone becomes Mario Andretti when they see me. Only a select few actually get the chance.
I've lost track. Mustangs, Challengers, Chargers, Audis, BMWs, the odd Mercedes, or Z. What really surprises me are the Khias and Camrys and Hondas. I'm like really?

Trucks to of course, lots of trucks.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:38 AM   #10
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
I've lost track. Mustangs, Challengers, Chargers, Audis, BMWs, the odd Mercedes, or Z. What really surprises me are the Khias and Camrys and Hondas. I'm like really?

Trucks to of course, lots of trucks.
we were test driving a friggin honda civic coupe for my wife and some mental midget in a nissan crapbox tried to race us.BTW the civic was a pretty nice car,not snap your neck fast but still feels sporty in corners and gets 40+ mpg on the highway(yes,we bought it)
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:39 AM   #11
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
well...the examples you provided are not street racers. and you bought a performance vehicle, what do you expect? maybe it's your driving style?

in 2+ years and 24k miles i've been randomly challenged once by another car. it was an old(er) guy in some kind of porsche carerra.

to clarify - there are performance vehicles and hot rods ALL OVER THE PLACE around here. everywhere when it's warm. one of the most prominent speed shops for mustangs is literally 3 miles away from me. in the summer, every type of fast car imaginable can be seen and heard coming and going over there.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:42 AM   #12
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckt227 View Post

Sorry I will sometimes will do a 0-50 fun run from a light given ideal conditions. But I do most racing at Atco. (I hope it stays open).

But I can tell you this. When driving a Camaro every Mustang with a cat back will go crazy to get your attention revving to the 7K redline. Somehow that makes them feel better when seeing a faster better engineered muscle car.

Last edited by Fraxum; 03-21-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:47 AM   #13
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
My car doesn't get that much attention, I'm sure a Vette is more of a ricer/econobox magnet. When it does, it's almost always a civic, wrx or bmw with windows tinted dark (100% illegal here, just saying), and I don't race anyone.

Well okay, last Spring with with covid abandoned roads, there may or may not have been a Mustang GT and a Tesla Model 3 Performance at a stoplight, three lanes, straight road, no sidewalks, no traffic ahead, behind or from the side, ending in mutual respect and thumbs ups after a rather predictable result. Hope that doesn't make me an idiot

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:58 AM   #14
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
Yes but... Other than the JO behavior where they pass only to cut you off and the ones that seem to want to put lives in danger with abject stupidity.. you can always wave and decline to be involved.
I dont know. I suppose I grew up in a way different time. But we always raced... stop light to stoplight.. quick rolls on the highway.... it was just fun and always done with a spirit of competitive sort of kinship.
It seems to me what I dislike in these circumstances is when Im just minding my own and someone seems to get mad that Im passing them and wants to get competitive in a negative angry way.
As long as its all smiles and waves Its all good with me.
At 65 Im just a bit less aggressive than in my teens... But I still enjoy a friendly blast out of a red light. Not going to race some kid to 150 but it rarely takes that long to establish a winner!!!
And if you feel the need to get around a tractor trailer so you dont get stone chips you probably could do it in a few feet by pushing hard on the gas for 2 or 3 seconds and get around without even exceeding the speed limit.
What I have gotten most is people waving and smiles. A few thumbs up.
Even young ladies smiling and waving at this old geezer with a long white beard!!