Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-10-2020, 12:56 PM   #1
c5jako
Having Fun

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE; 1999 C5 Racecar
DIY Alignment - SAS or not?

I'm used to doing my own alignments (string and rulers, camber guages, etc). I did one for max camber last weekend in prep for this weekend and besides the normal tramlining I would expect on the street with (~)-3*/-2* camber and 305 square tires, I don't have a problem with steering on center or pulling.

Today I read in an older post that the SAS reset is required, and I'm just asking now that it's 2020 and many of the posts were from three years ago - anyone believe the SAS reset is a critical step in the process or can it be ignored? I haven't touched front toe so far, and it I do I'm very careful to match adjustments side to side. Also I don't have the PDR so I can't see the steering angle.
c5jako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:27 PM   #2
m3bs

Drives: '19 ZLE, S54 E36M3
I DIY mine as well. If you are using a string setup, you can easily make sure you have equal toe side-to-side. Just center the wheel and keep it it straight while you take your measurements. You can eyeball it to the 3 degree tolerance. I use my PDR, but if you have some type of scanner you can probably read the sensor output with that.

BTW, if you changed camber you definitely need to check the toe setting. It changes significantly when camber is changed.
m3bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:07 PM   #3
c5jako
Having Fun

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE; 1999 C5 Racecar
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
BTW, if you changed camber you definitely need to check the toe setting. It changes significantly when camber is changed.
I don't know what it was before the camber plates, but it only required a slight adjustment after. Always possible it was way off before, just got the car last month. My max rear is about 1.7 wile maintaining a slight toe in. Pretty consistent with what I read around here.
c5jako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
A little late to the party, sorry, but I also do my own wheel alignments.
I have self-made laser gauges which make the job easier and quicker, but there is nothing at all wrong with string, rulers and camber gauges.

To second what @m3bs said, if you touch the camber, you more or less must check the toe in.
It could be off by quite a lot.

As for SAS reset, I have found it to be a mixed bag.
If you are very careful when making your toe adjustments so that the wheels are equally toed along the axis of the car with the steering wheel centered, you will probably be OK.
I use another self-made laser tool and ruled placards to check that.

However now and then if all else seems right and the steering wheel is centered when traveling dead ahead I will reset the SAS just for form.
I have an Autel "MaxDiag" MD808 Pro scanner that does it with a button click.
One of the best tool purchases I have made in years.