Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-23-2019, 06:31 AM   #1
mrgoodbytes

Drives: '18 2SS/EU (+Recaros) M6 Red Hot
Serpentine belt tensioner

Hello all,

Yesterday when parking my car and doing my routine checks (checking oil level etc.) I noticed the hydraulic serpentine belt tensioner seemd a little wet on the top of the boot where the piston moves up and down. I've never noticed it before, so it may have looked like this for a while. Unfortunately I couldn't get a picture due to bad lightning and the phone being unable to focus.

I know there are several posts of these having failed, causing electrical/charging problems.

I was just wondering if a small leak is normal and if anyone else has noticed this?

The car has 8000 miles.
mrgoodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:21 AM   #2
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Sounds like a stop at the dealership for some warranty work.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:24 AM   #3
mrgoodbytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
Sounds like a stop at the dealership for some warranty work.
There are no symptoms of anything wrong. This is the first car I've had with a hydraulic serpentine belt tensioner. I just don't know whether it is normal or not to see a wet edge around the top of the piston. There is not oil pooring out and all over the place or anything.

If necessary, I will just buy the part and replace it myself. I don't trust them to do anything.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:56 AM   #4
mrgoodbytes

I just checked mine again in some better lighting. It has a slight oil coating on the side on the shock part above and below the rubber bellow. I feel it is important to mention, that I haven't had any issues so far, but I'd like to catch this before it becomes one.

I would appreciate if anyone else could do a quick visual inspection of their part, to see if this is normal?

Mine is a 2018 with ~8K miles.

To be on the safe side, I placed an order on a new tensioner, part no. 12669076.
With parts availability here in Europe, I don't want to be left stranded somewhere if it suddenly stops working.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:38 AM   #5
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Yes mine failed recently and we are starting to see some posts about problems thought to be the belt tensioner but includes a tick sound. My tensioner also had belched fluid but I also developed the ticking noise.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549862

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542832

It has been at the dealership for over a week with no word from service tech.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:52 PM   #6
mrgoodbytes

Did you replace the tensioner yourself? If so, is it straight forward? I would think I’d have to remove part of the intake maybe to get more room. I think I’ll reuse the belt, as it has such low miles on it.

And did you have any problems with it other than oil leaking out?

Sorry to hear about the ticking. Hope it turns out to be the fuel check valve and they will get it sorted out soon.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:49 PM   #7
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodbytes View Post
Did you replace the tensioner yourself? If so, is it straight forward? I would think I’d have to remove part of the intake maybe to get more room. I think I’ll reuse the belt, as it has such low miles on it.

And did you have any problems with it other than oil leaking out?

Sorry to hear about the ticking. Hope it turns out to be the fuel check valve and they will get it sorted out soon.
Very easy to replace the belt tensioner. You need a Harbor Freight Serpentine Belt Tool and a socket set. It is 2 bolts. The belt tensioner is really easy and smooth to release tension on the belt to remove it. You can remove the intake and the sound tube to make it clear to do the job. I noticed a chirping sound, erratic voltage and had the fluid leaking from back of the tensioner.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:53 PM   #8
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
its not normal. its failing and will be covered under warranty. dont wipe it off.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:01 AM   #9
mrgoodbytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Very easy to replace the belt tensioner. You need a Harbor Freight Serpentine Belt Tool and a socket set. It is 2 bolts. The belt tensioner is really easy and smooth to release tension on the belt to remove it. You can remove the intake and the sound tube to make it clear to do the job. I noticed a chirping sound, erratic voltage and had the fluid leaking from back of the tensioner.

Thank you. The tool attaches to the bolt on the actual pulley right? I'll see if I can find a tool to do the job. Thank you.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:48 AM   #10
mrgoodbytes

I found this on the corvette forum: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tensioner.html

The design of the tensioner, even though the part names have changed, looks laughable. It is just a spring with fluid around it and only the boot to hold it in. No hydraulic piston, no good seals.

Mine is leaking after only 8000 miles. Looks like this is going to be a regular maintenance item.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:58 AM   #11
KirkH

Quote:
I found this on the corvette forum: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tensioner.html

The design of the tensioner, even though the part names have changed, looks laughable. It is just a spring with fluid around it and only the boot to hold it in. No hydraulic piston, no good seals.

Mine is leaking after only 8000 miles. Looks like this is going to be a regular maintenance item.
My friend the mechanic said the same thing. He couldn’t believe they’re using this style tensioner.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:58 AM   #12
KirkH

Quote:
Thank you. The tool attaches to the bolt on the actual pulley right? I'll see if I can find a tool to do the job. Thank you.
Yes
Old 03-31-2021, 08:59 PM   #13
fxdxron1

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Has anyone replaced the belt tensioner on an SS Camaro if so do you turn the 15 mm pulley bolt in the clockwise direction to release tension.
fxdxron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:19 PM   #14
Dagstar

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
To be on the safe side, I placed an order on a new tensioner, part no. 12669076.
FYI to future browsers, part number 12686229 has replaced the one above.