Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-01-2022, 01:28 AM   #1
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
M6 trans fluid change- some questions about the method

Hi forum members. I've got 3 questions about changing the fluid in an M6 and would appreciate replies from those who have changed their M6 fluid themselves and followed the GM directions:

1) Is it possible to remove the fill plug without removing the clip and relocating the cooler line? If you must remove the clip, how do you do so without damaging it?

2) Why do you need to run the engine for 2 minutes after draining and filling the trans?
I get that the pump will circulate the trans fluid through the lines to the diff and back thus mixing the new fluid with the old fluid in the lines. But what is this accomplishing if you've just drained and filled the fluid and how no intention of immediately draining and filling again?

3) If I need to run the car for 2 minutes, do I actually need to set the fluid level 1/8" below the fill line before running the car, then remove the fill plug and check the level again after running the car? Does the level actually change?
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:34 PM   #2
Daily1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I don't think you need to relocate the cooler line. I found this that might help: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492814

I actually went the extra mile and removed the tranny cross member and there is another drain plug that makes no mess if you remove the cross member. Tho I had a trans support jack that made it easy.

I personally followed this: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537762
Daily1LE is offline   Reply With Quote