#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-21-2021, 11:24 AM   #43
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I've got Kook LT and green cats. I like how my exhaust sounds with stock catback and have no plans to change it. I'll test with the Camaro club this year, so I suppose it's possible that I will hear an exhaust that sounds better, but it's going to have to sound a lot better for that kind of money.
Everyone's ears are different, but there's really no comparison from the stock exhaust to the AWE resonated touring exhaust. I don't regret a single penny and I would have paid more knowing it sounds as good as it does.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:30 AM   #44
SHE'Z 18

Drives: 18 ZL1 - M6
I just ordered the AWE "resonated" cat-back and LUCKILY, I was able to find/purchase a new set of AWE performance link pipes. As soon as I get the goods, I'm going to install. From all the reviews and sound clips/videos, I'm eagerly awaiting this change in sound.

Thanks everyone for their input.
SHE'Z 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:31 AM   #45
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHE'Z 18 View Post
I just ordered the AWE "resonated" cat-back and LUCKILY, I was able to find/purchase a new set of AWE performance link pipes. As soon as I get the goods, I'm going to install. From all the reviews and sound clips/videos, I'm eagerly awaiting this change in sound.

Thanks everyone for their input.
YOU WILL LOVE IT.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:00 PM   #46
SHE'Z 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
YOU WILL LOVE IT.
Thanks Brother....I'm stoked!! From everything I've heard/read, I'm super excited. That said, if you installed your's yourself, do you mind sharing any tips/tricks/feedback regarding the install? Any special tools and/or supplies that will come in handy? I have the Quickjack and I'm planning to do the install in my garage. I'm sure it will not only help me, but also anyone that's looking to install a cat-back (regardless of the manufacturer) on theirs.

Much Appreciated Z OH 6!!!
Old 04-21-2021, 12:27 PM   #47
Z OH 6

Quote:
Thanks Brother....I'm stoked!! From everything I've heard/read, I'm super excited. That said, if you installed your's yourself, do you mind sharing any tips/tricks/feedback regarding the install? Any special tools and/or supplies that will come in handy? I have the Quickjack and I'm planning to do the install in my garage. I'm sure it will not only help me, but also anyone that's looking to install a cat-back (regardless of the manufacturer) on theirs.

Much Appreciated Z OH 6!!!
Can't help you much from a DIY. I had mine done at my local exhaust shop. I did help though with a good bit of the install. The stock exhaust is heavy and awkward in one piece so make sure you have some help removing it. Once you get the stock exhaust off, its a lot easier to install the new exhaust in pieces.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:35 PM   #48
SHE'Z 18

Quote:
Can't help you much from a DIY. I had mine done at my local exhaust shop. I did help though with a good bit of the install. The stock exhaust is heavy and awkward in one piece so make sure you have some help removing it. Once you get the stock exhaust off, its a lot easier to install the new exhaust in pieces.
No worries. I'll definitely make sure to have an extra set of hands helping out.
I'll take some pics/videos too..

Much appreciated...
Old 04-21-2021, 01:52 PM   #49
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
I got the AWE touring and resonated exhaust a few weeks ago. I have to admit that I have a tiny bit of regret about it not being loud enough. It's definitely gnarly during cold starts, but it's pretty tame otherwise. Maybe I should swap out the H-pipe section for the non-res setup?

AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:03 PM   #50
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_1LE View Post
I got the AWE touring and resonated exhaust a few weeks ago. I have to admit that I have a tiny bit of regret about it not being loud enough. It's definitely gnarly during cold starts, but it's pretty tame otherwise. Maybe I should swap out the H-pipe section for the non-res setup?

The resonators should burn in and open up. I too was initially thinking my car was going to be too quiet. But after a track day it got noticeably louder.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:19 PM   #51
SHE'Z 18

Quote:

Dude! Great job on the video. An FWIW, there's a considerable sound difference between the stock exhaust vs. the AWE set up that you have. I want it louder than stock, but not crazy loud. That's why I'm glad I got the PLP's and the resonators. From what I've heard (your video included), it's a major improvement over stock, but not so loud that it becomes annoying. TBH, I've only researched online through the forums and videos. So, I hope I'm making the right move overall. And like many, I wish the AWE had the NPP functions. But, oh well.. Thanks AZ 1LE
Old 04-21-2021, 02:32 PM   #52
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:

Is this just cat back with stock manifolds and cats? If that's the case, then that's why it sounds like it does.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:32 PM   #53
tmak90

Drives: Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Does the stock suitcase muffler fit into the trunk after removal?
tmak90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:34 PM   #54
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmak90 View Post
Does the stock suitcase muffler fit into the trunk after removal?
Nope, the trunk on these cars isn't that big to begin with but to make matters worse, the opening to the trunk is even smaller.

I had to haul my exhaust away from the exhaust shop in one piece on a trailer.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:50 AM   #55
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
The resonators should burn in and open up. I too was initially thinking my car was going to be too quiet. But after a track day it got noticeably louder.
Hope so! I still think I want to try some PLP's if I can find them...

Quote:
Dude! Great job on the video. An FWIW, there's a considerable sound difference between the stock exhaust vs. the AWE set up that you have. I want it louder than stock, but not crazy loud. That's why I'm glad I got the PLP's and the resonators. From what I've heard (your video included), it's a major improvement over stock, but not so loud that it becomes annoying. TBH, I've only researched online through the forums and videos. So, I hope I'm making the right move overall. And like many, I wish the AWE had the NPP functions. But, oh well.. Thanks AZ 1LE
Thanks! Yea, PLP's would be awesome I think. I think the exhaust has a great tone/etc, but it seems to get to a certain volume by like 3k rpm and not get any louder/nastier beyond that which I think is what I'm a little bummed by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
Is this just cat back with stock manifolds and cats? If that's the case, then that's why it sounds like it does.
Yep... I mean, I DID choose the quietest one they have but from what everyone was saying and the videos I watched, I thought it was going to be louder. I know headers would help for sure.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:26 AM   #56
Z OH 6

Quote:
Hope so! I still think I want to try some PLP's if I can find them...

Thanks! Yea, PLP's would be awesome I think. I think the exhaust has a great tone/etc, but it seems to get to a certain volume by like 3k rpm and not get any louder/nastier beyond that which I think is what I'm a little bummed by.

Yep... I mean, I DID choose the quietest one they have but from what everyone was saying and the videos I watched, I thought it was going to be louder. I know headers would help for sure.
The AWE resonated touring exhaust is considerably louder than the stock exhaust even in track mode. If you want louder, AWE makes a track exhaust, they even make a track conversion kit for your touring exhaust, but if you ever plan to go with headers that would be a terrible mistake to go with the track exhaust. If you ever add headers and remove the cats or go with high flow cats, you will appreciate having the AWE resonated touring exhaust because its VERY loud.