Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-15-2021, 09:35 AM   #1
Bearded_Seamonkey

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
What else do I need for my ZL1 1LE

I ordered a 2022 ZL1 1LE. I plan to drive it semi-daily (nice weather) and track it once or twice a year. I am an uber-planner and and just wondering if there is anything else I should consider purchasing early on for the car. Once I have the car for a while, I will then decide of further upgrades such as exhaust etc.

My plans:
ZL1 Addons lift pucks
ACS Composites Rock Guards
Street tires (already purchased 2nd set of wheels and tires)

I'm looking into PPF and am struggling if I will do it or not (based on cost). I would want to do the entire car as I will see the edges of the random pieces in high impact areas and my ocd will not be ok with that.

Thanks!
2000 Corvette
Bearded_Seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:46 AM   #2
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
If you track it even 2x year you need to PPF at least the front clip, everything in front of the drivers doors including mirrors (except the splitter IMO, it will get trashed and is cheap to replace). The gravel damage in even 1 day at track can be like driving through a blizzard vs. standard blue sky freeway driving--depends on track. Otherwise the level of track day temp wrap or painters tape is too much.

One thing to also consider for track protection and bad roads is a windshield wrap like Exoshield, it's expensive but I'm on my 3rd windshield in 2-1/2 years due to track gravel damage and I would have done it if I'd known. This windshield seems especially fragile, I never had to replace my Evo X track car windshield in 8 years of heavier track use.

Looks like you're covered on other parts and plans.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:59 PM   #3
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded_Seamonkey View Post

I'm looking into PPF and am struggling if I will do it or not (based on cost). I would want to do the entire car as I will see the edges of the random pieces in high impact areas and my ocd will not be ok with that.

Thanks!
If you think you will struggle with seeing random edges of the PPF, then you would have a much greater issue seeing the rock chips. Seriously, doing the entire car, although great, isn't necessary. To keep cost down, I would do only the high impact areas. Find a shop that specializes in PPF and you will hardly notice the lines at all. Good Luck!

Memories:

2017 50th Anniversary Camaro Convertible (Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper (Sold)
2005 Lingenfelter Corvette (Sold)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (Sold)
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:14 AM   #4
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
As long as the PPF is done by a competent installer they should be familiar with making the 6th gen impact areas look good with whatever product they're using. My PPF guy has 6th gens there weekly it seems.

PPF with dark colors hide the dirt that eventually develops along edges. White for instance with PPF really stands out along the edges, once dirt develops.

Your red will be just fine
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:24 AM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Seams are not very visible on red hot. People only notice them at car shows if I point them out. If your installer is good, they will recommend you spend a couple hundred more to oversize the patters and tuck/wrap the edges. Have them also pull emblems and remove the heat extractor to minimize edges there. Canards may be another issue.

If you put it on a track, your OCD will thank you after the fact for having spent the $ to do the entire car in PPF. The $ you will spend on tracking the car (gas, tires, fluids, oil, insurance, alignment, etc.) will make any additional spend on PPF seem cheap later when you're scraping clag off your body panels. Get the top-shelf self-healing variety.

Track Armor/Tracwrap is a thing too, if you really don't want to drop the coin on full-car PPF up front.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:38 AM   #6
Trak-Toy

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE
Add the LT4 Supercharger auxiliary reservoir tank.

These cars generate a lot of heat and the water in the coolant will eventually evaporate and cause the car to go into limp mode unexpectedly with no code. The Super charger coolant is in a closed loop from the rest of the coolant system and requires a special procedure at the dealership to refill it ($$) if air gets into the system due to low coolant levels in the supercharger circuit. The auxiliary reservoir tank is ‘self burping’ and as easy to observe levels and refill as the traditional coolant reservoir tanks in the main cooling system (see attached pic). A forum member recently schooled me on this issue and helped me install the tank. It was an easy install and there is a group buy discount with the dealer (ADM Performance).
Attached Images

Trak-Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:46 AM   #7
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trak-Toy View Post

These cars generate a lot of heat and the water in the coolant will eventually evaporate and cause the car to go into limp mode unexpectedly with no code. The Super charger coolant is in a closed loop from the rest of the coolant system and requires a special procedure at the dealership to refill it ($$) if air gets into the system due to low coolant levels in the supercharger circuit. The auxiliary reservoir tank is ‘self burping’ and as easy to observe levels and refill as the traditional coolant reservoir tanks in the main cooling system (see attached pic). A forum member recently schooled me on this issue and helped me install the tank. It was an easy install and there is a group buy discount with the dealer (ADM Performance).

Good point but if you do that add some capacity and make it worthy mod where you can possibly lower the IATs vs just making it easy to add and fill.

https://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/mer...ode=L300227415

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:47 AM   #8
Bearded_Seamonkey

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Seams are not very visible on red hot. People only notice them at car shows if I point them out.
Being a show car person, this is exactly my issue. I see everything.

What about swirls....if I have only part of the car with ppf, won't the ppf areas not have any swirls but the non-ppf areas develop swirls? I'm telling you, I'm crazy with my ocd.

But I get the fact that a full ppf for the car is crazy $$$$

And I get the fact that these "lines" on the edges is better than rock chips all over.

Quote:
I will definitely look into this...Thanks
2000 Corvette
Bearded_Seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:53 AM   #9
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
Quote:
Being a show car person, this is exactly my issue. I see everything.

What about swirls....if I have only part of the car with ppf, won't the ppf areas not have any swirls but the non-ppf areas develop swirls? I'm telling you, I'm crazy with my ocd.

But I get the fact that a full ppf for the car is crazy $$$$

And I get the fact that these "lines" on the edges is better than rock chips all over.
Swirls only develop due to user error when washing/drying. PPF will eliminate this issue, yes. Proper wash/dry technique can prevent swirls on stock car, no protection/coatings. Drying is biggest culprit with swirl. Lubrication is key

Dealerships by me are terrible with prep and 1st wash. Either a touch car wash is used and dirty chamois to dry. Or hand wash rags and similar dry technique. Don't let them wash you car upon arrival

IMO, get the impact areas done with PPF then get ceramic coating on car, windows, wheels, and calipers. Pressure wash to maintain when it's dusty and leaf blow dry. Only contact is when it's really dirty. But you still pressure wash to the point of being clean and then wash with rinseless wash product, no pressure on mit or sponge, use coating reload as lubricant to dry.

Replace brake pads with ceramic pads for street use too.
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote