Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-12-2021, 09:29 AM   #15
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
I am pretty sure, no matter the state, a dealer can get in a crap-ton of trouble for selling a car without cats installed.

So if the dealer says "bring it in" make sure you cover your ass with something signed stating they knew.

When I sold my GTO I had them in the trunk and the dealer reinstalled them.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:59 AM   #16
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
From having my car appraised a month ago by a dealer for trade-in don't count on it that they even know what car model they're dealing with or that they even know what modded even looks like.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:20 AM   #17
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
No dealer keeps cars anymore they go straight to the Auction. The Auction house can not sell it without Cat's so someone along the line is going to get Screwed. If it is the dealer that get's Fu-ked and you did not disclose it they can Sue you. But if they know you have no liability.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:42 AM   #18
BrandanK

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
No dealer keeps cars anymore they go straight to the Auction. The Auction house can not sell it without Cat's so someone along the line is going to get Screwed. If it is the dealer that get's Fu-ked and you did not disclose it they can Sue you. But if they know you have no liability.
This is 100% untrue. Dealers will sell the cars themselves if it makes financial sense. The car must be something that sells well in the area, priced correctly on trade-in, etc.

Making a blanket statement that "all cars go to wholesale" is just false.

Brandan
BrandanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:16 PM   #19

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Florida seems to have dealer friendly car sales laws...good luck.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/safety-center...censed-dealer/

"Used vehicles are not required to have a warranty. Federal law requires all dealers to post a Buyers Guide in the window of each vehicle they offer for sale. The Buyers Guide notifies the buyer whether the vehicle is being sold with a warranty or AS-IS with no warranty of any kind. Buyers purchasing an AS-IS vehicle should be aware that all repairs are their responsibility. Buyers should read warranties carefully, especially the fine print, and be sure to obtain copies of all signed documents. Remember, there is no warranty or agreement unless it is in writing and signed by all parties. Get any promises made in writing."

And this to protect the dealer on trade-ins...

"Trade-Ins
Get the assessed value of the vehicle being traded in writing on the contract. The value will not change unless more miles are put on the car than agreed to in the contract, parts are removed, or the vehicle is damaged before trading it in.

Consumers can bring a vehicle with an existing lien into a dealership and sell their vehicle. The dealer will have 10 days to satisfy the existing lien prior to selling it to another customer."

I would suggest to read whatever you sign...

On another note, no one likes being screwed over by a car dealer. So don't try and screw them with a bogus trade in condition....Good luck.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:19 PM   #20
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti6 View Post
Hi,

Could it come back to haunt me if I trade my 2019 Camaro SS that has been tuned, headers installed, with an xpipe? I mentioned gauges and they said they don't care about gauges. I'm located in Florida.
Give it a try and see what dealers will offer. If you have a performance oriented dealer near enough to drive to try there. Dealers will lowball your car. Try privately as well.

CarMax gave me $3K more for my 2018 A10 ZL1 than my local Chevy dealer. Hopefully walk away with more $$ to cover any sales tax discrepany.

I was at CarMax for less than an hour and walked away with a check.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:27 PM   #21
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Florida seems to have dealer friendly car sales laws...good luck.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/safety-center...censed-dealer/

"Used vehicles are not required to have a warranty. Federal law requires all dealers to post a Buyers Guide in the window of each vehicle they offer for sale. The Buyers Guide notifies the buyer whether the vehicle is being sold with a warranty or AS-IS with no warranty of any kind. Buyers purchasing an AS-IS vehicle should be aware that all repairs are their responsibility. Buyers should read warranties carefully, especially the fine print, and be sure to obtain copies of all signed documents. Remember, there is no warranty or agreement unless it is in writing and signed by all parties. Get any promises made in writing."

And this to protect the dealer on trade-ins...

"Trade-Ins
Get the assessed value of the vehicle being traded in writing on the contract. The value will not change unless more miles are put on the car than agreed to in the contract, parts are removed, or the vehicle is damaged before trading it in.

Consumers can bring a vehicle with an existing lien into a dealership and sell their vehicle. The dealer will have 10 days to satisfy the existing lien prior to selling it to another customer."

I would suggest to read whatever you sign...

On another note, no one likes being screwed over by a car dealer. So don't try and screw them with a bogus trade in condition....Good luck.

The trade in part seems like it wouldn’t matter if cats are off, only if the dealer inspects it with the cats and you remove them prior to trading in, but I could have misread it
Old 04-12-2021, 12:31 PM   #22

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushin_LT1 View Post
The trade in part seems like it wouldn’t matter if cats are off, only if the dealer inspects it with the cats and you remove them prior to trading in, but I could have misread it
Personally, I've never traded in a vehicle, but I know a few who have and the showroom quick-trade in price is contingent on a closer inspection later on if the buyer wants to accept the deal.

All vehicles in the US have federal emissions standards, which one of the biggies is catalytic converters. Even if a state has no inspections, I find it hard to believe that selling a newer car off the lot with no cats would be legal....Just sayin'.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:31 PM   #23
Future1LEa10
Banned

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1LE
No inspections in florida so no care. The dealer would be on the hook anyway for selling it with no cats if the buyer cared that much.
Future1LEa10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:21 PM   #24
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Personally, I've never traded in a vehicle, but I know a few who have and the showroom quick-trade in price is contingent on a closer inspection later on if the buyer wants to accept the deal.

All vehicles in the US have federal emissions standards, which one of the biggies is catalytic converters. Even if a state has no inspections, I find it hard to believe that selling a newer car off the lot with no cats would be legal....Just sayin'.

Exactly the point. If the dealer chooses to accept it in that condition it’s all good.

They wouldn’t be able to sell it obviously, but they would fix it up.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:22 PM   #25
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
I think if the cats are removed from the car the dealer will have to put them back on to sell the car. I had a issue with a Corvette once I was trying to work a deal on. They wanted to charge me several hundred to replace the cats on the car I was trading.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:24 PM   #26
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
They will discover the mods, you can be sure.

As a buyer, not a dealer, I would pass on this car.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:30 PM   #27
Yeti6

Drives: 2019 1SS M6
I told them the car was catless and tuned. The sales manager told me to hold on for a sec, got back on the phone and said "We don't care". Gotta love Florida! Thanks guys!
1998 Camaro Z28 M6 Arctic White
1991 Camaro RS A5 Arctic White
1986 Camaro SC M5 Teal Green
1980 Camaro Z28 M4 Bright Blue
Yeti6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:42 PM   #28
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Something I found out when I traded my modded 2010 2SS in was that people are looking for cars with mods and the dealership that I bought my 2016 from sold it in a couple of weeks after I did the trade in to a lady wanting a 5th gen and didn’t mind it had mods done.