Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 03-30-2021, 03:21 PM   #1
Sephx1

Drives: 18 ZLE, 18 SS1LE, 16 SS, 23 ZL1
OE tires for track use - least expensive option?

I just took delivery of my 2021 2SS 1LE and have been studying the tire/wheel/track threads for a while now, to see what other members are using and why. After spending some time researching square vs staggered setups, handling characteristics, clearance issues, spacers, and tire price and availability, I finally priced the OE tires and found them to be substantially less than any of the 19" sizes. Am I missing something here? Why not just use the OE sizes? Is there a big performance advantage with the 19's? Less chance of bending a wheel? Thanks in advance.
Sephx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:38 PM   #2
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
It really depends on usage. If you autocross, you wont find any of the top tires in our factory sizes. But if you are just playing around on weekends, OE tires are fine. I run OE tires when on track but I run 19s (soon to be 18s) for autocross for several reasons 1)tire selection, 2)slight decrease in final drive that aids in acceleration. It's really not much, but it is there. 3)Lowering the CG and RC without changing any of the suspension geometry. Some people also go to a true square setup so they can rotate front to rear and left to right as they see fit.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:49 PM   #3
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephx1 View Post
I just took delivery of my 2021 2SS 1LE and have been studying the tire/wheel/track threads for a while now, to see what other members are using and why. After spending some time researching square vs staggered setups, handling characteristics, clearance issues, spacers, and tire price and availability, I finally priced the OE tires and found them to be substantially less than any of the 19" sizes. Am I missing something here? Why not just use the OE sizes? Is there a big performance advantage with the 19's? Less chance of bending a wheel? Thanks in advance.

The OE tires are fantastic on track. They have great traction, handle heat very well and wear at a predictable pace.

I have a 2017 SS 1LE I track regularly (6-8x's per year) and up until this year only used the GY SC3.

The best part of the GY (for me) is how often you can find them for almost 50% off. Your dealer will always price match, Tire Rack will sell 2018 stock for $200/ea, you can find 'new' (less than 100 miles) take-offs on eBay, if you are a USAA customer, you can get them new from Goodyear for 25-35% off.

As for AutoX, if you want to be competitive (and save wear), you'd be served by getting a set of 19" wheels. Lots of choices in the 285-325 range in 19".

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:35 PM   #4
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Great dialogue here! Subscribed!
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:39 PM   #5
Sephx1

Drives: 18 ZLE, 18 SS1LE, 16 SS, 23 ZL1
Thanks for the replies so far. I was thinking I needed to decide on a track set so I wouldn’t trash my OE tires. I guess that’s not the case. I’ll use the OE tires up while I talk to the other Camaro drivers at the track and decide what’s going to work best. Replace them when it’s time and then decide on a track setup.
Sephx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:40 AM   #6
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
I went to 19"s for AutoX. One other benefit is that tires weigh less than big rims. I saved 10lbs per Tire/Wheel versus OEM. 40lbs is a lot of unsprung weight to get rid of.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:55 AM   #7
davidwarren

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephx1 View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. I was thinking I needed to decide on a track set so I wouldn’t trash my OE tires. I guess that’s not the case. I’ll use the OE tires up while I talk to the other Camaro drivers at the track and decide what’s going to work best. Replace them when it’s time and then decide on a track setup.
I would recommend hopping on the apex group buy right now if you are considering track wheels.
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:36 AM   #8
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I would add that it depends on how you drive, too. The OE wheels/tires will be easiest to drive with any of the PTM modes since that's what the system was cal'd around. There are performance gains to be had by switching since you can get a slightly larger selection of tires with smaller rims, but the stock tires can definitely still embarrass some of the other more expensive cars out there. IMO it's tough to find another tire that balances performance, cost, and life but that more depends on what your goals are.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:15 PM   #9
oneplustwo

Drives: 2018 Torch Red SS 1LE with Whipple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
I would add that it depends on how you drive, too. The OE wheels/tires will be easiest to drive with any of the PTM modes since that's what the system was cal'd around. There are performance gains to be had by switching since you can get a slightly larger selection of tires with smaller rims, but the stock tires can definitely still embarrass some of the other more expensive cars out there. IMO it's tough to find another tire that balances performance, cost, and life but that more depends on what your goals are.
I would reinforce the balance statement. I was considering going to a square setup to rotate front to back, but my first set of tires lasted 7000+ miles and about 8 track days. And the wear was not perfectly even front to back, but pretty close. I adjusted my alignment settings and I hope to get about the same or better life out of this next set (these are the new old stock tires from Tire Rack that I think were less than $800 total.) I can't think of another tire I would go with for what I'm looking for. (Despite being tempted by stickier rubber.)
Old 04-02-2021, 10:28 AM   #10
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
Exactly!

OEM G3s are an incredible track performer *and* are very competitive price wise.

It makes little sense to go to 19s or 18s unless one has specific autox comp targets.

It does make sense to go to 19s (especially square) if one has a desire to run even stickier G3Rs or Hoosiers.

Stock tire/rim set up has achieved some uber lap times here and are capable of hanging with some Club level race cars on Hoosiers. This is no joke

OP: save your money and learn how to push the car before even contemplating opening your wallet. I had tried Cup2s and RE71Rs and they didn't make me faster. Fyi. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote