Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 03-31-2021, 12:48 PM   #1
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Question Who traded a '11-'14 Mustang GT for the 6th gen Camaro SS

Hi Guys,
Curious about your driving experience, I would like to know who traded a '11-'14 Mustang GT 5.0 (MT) for a 6th gen Camaro SS (MT). Which are your + & - on both cars?
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:25 PM   #2
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I am pretty close but not quite. I had a 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS with M6 trans, a 2015 Mustang GT Premium with M6 trans, and I traded both for my 17 ZL1 A10. So it is safe to say that I could give you info on certain things that are general among both vehicles but nothing specific to the 6th Gen SS or the S197 Coyote.

I will say that performance wise I do not think the S197 Coyote can match the 6th Gen SS at all in any way shape or form in any performance aspect from a stock to stock comparison point. The only GT that can bang heads with the 6th Gen SS is the 3rd Gen coyote powered Stangs (18+). And even then only in certain categories. On a track the SS will eat the GT up. In a straight line it is basically up to how the GT is optioned and driver ability. I would say that anyone coming from a S197 GT will probably be wowed by the 6th Gen SS and the 18+ GT but not soo much by the 15-17 GT since they got slower despite a HP bump...due to extra weight from going IRS and other stuff.

Going back to my 15 GT, bone stock it was no match for the 6th Gen SS. It would have needed FBO to keep up with a stock SS. I had Mustang and Camaro friends and the Mustang guys with mods were losing to the 16 SS guys who were bone stock. But when boost is thrown into the equation the GT starts to shine and can outmuscle the SS very easily. That is if it can get the power to the ground effectively and efficiently.

But since you are talking about the S197 Coyote, I do not think they can compare to the 6th Gen SS at all. Not when talking about all around performance. The SS is just a phenomenal car and a very good performance bang for the buck. The biggest issue will be getting used to the poor visibility and lack of storage space in the Camaro. Also it sits low and is difficult to get in and out of. The door is quite long and requires more space than the Mustang does to open wide enough to squeeze out of. However the Camaro seems to have much more sturdier and durable interior materials and seats. The Mustang feels cheap on the inside. The Camaro has a much better sound system unless you opt for the 401a GT which has the subwoofer and upgraded speakers. The Camaro has much better brakes and cooling capacity than the Mustang does. The Camaro has a stronger trans although I'll argue that the Mustang's engine can handle much more power on stock internals. The SS for sure has the better suspension and they come standard with much better tires. And the Camaro has more features and options than the Mustang does on a price by price comparison scale.

Overall I do think the SS is the better car.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:20 PM   #3
Bosse'sBoss

Thumbs up

On a MT H2H the '11 Mustang GT 5.0 was compared with a BMW M3 (V8), and the Mustang performed similar to the bimmer on all aspects. Also during that year the Mustang GT was compared to the 5th gen Camaro, and the Mustang was way better than the heavier '10 Camaro SS.

MT later on compared the '16 Camaro SS with a BMW M4, and the Camaro performed also similar to that year's Bimmer. And performed way better than the newer model '15 Mustang GT, that now had a new IRS instead of the live axle of the previous model, but now was heavier.

On my personal experience:
-The '11 Mustang GT 5.0 MT performed great at the track, it was very nimble and had great stability (I had my suspension modified for the track), I even tracked it against a BMW M3 DCT V8 which had aftermarket bigger brakes, still my 5.0 was able to keep up with that car.
(My 5th gen Camaro ZL1 felt way heavier than my Mustang, but it handled great and felt very powerful with that strong SC V8).

-My '16 Camaro SS also a very capable great handling sport car, but I didn't had a chance to track it.

Probably at the track the newer tech 6th gen Camaro SS would beat the '11-'14 Mustang GT 5.0.
Both cars are great performing sport cars each one during their own production year.

The only performance difference that I noticed from my previous C7 Corvette Stingray Z51 compared with my newer 6th gen Camaro SS, is that the Camaro feels heavier on the rear, less nimble than the C7 Z51 while changing lanes fast.
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 04-01-2021 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:28 PM   #4
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
On a MT H2H the '11 Mustang GT 5.0 was compared with a BMW M3 (V8), and the Mustang performed similar to the bimmer on all aspects. Also during that year the Mustang GT was compared to the 5th gen Camaro, and the Mustang was way better than the heavier '10 Camaro SS.

MT later on compared the '16 Camaro SS with a BMW M4, and the Camaro performed also similar to that year's Bimmer. And performed way better than the newer model '15 Mustang GT, that now had a new IRS instead of the live axle of the previous model, but now was heavier.
I believe the Mustang was the better perform on every trim level in the 5th Gen years. But the Camaro had way more options and was a better car overall if you ask me. I do not think either of these cars were better than the M3 or M4 tho. See, the M3 and M4 are luxury vehicles that have tons of features and options but also have performance. They are luxury performance vehicles. The Mustang is strictly a performance vehicle with no luxury in sight. the Camaro is a performance luxury vehicle. They have tons of performance with some luxury features. So I never thought it was fair to compare the M Series Bimmers to the Camaro or Mustang in a performance only arena. It would be like comparing the Mustang to the M3 but only considering luxury and options/features.

Quote:
On my personal experience:
-The '11 Mustang GT 5.0 MT performed great at the track, it was very nimble and had great stability (I had my suspension modified for the track), I even tracked it against a BMW M3 DCT V8 which had aftermarket bigger brakes, still my 5.0 was able to keep up with that car.
(My 5th gen Camaro ZL1 felt way heavier than my Mustang, but it handled great and felt very powerful with that strong SC V8).

-My '16 Camaro SS also a very capable great handling sport car, but I didn't had a chance to track it.

Probably at the track the newer tech 6th gen Camaro SS would beat the '11-'14 Mustang GT 5.0.
Both cars are great performing sport cars each one during their own production year.
I highly doubt any 11-14 Mustang of any trim level can match even the standard 6th Gen SS on any track. I'll go ahead and say the SLE will destroy any S197 Mustang of any trim on any track. Maybe the Boss 302 or the GT500 of those years can put up a fight. Maybe. But I doubt it.

Currently the only S550 Mustang that can beat a SLE is the GT350R and the GT500. The only one that can beat the ZL1 at anything is the GT500. As far as the ZLE, I doubt the GT500 can beat it on a track.

Quote:
The only performance difference that I noticed from my previous C7 Corvette Stingray Z51 compared with my newer 6th gen Camaro SS, is that the Camaro feels heavier on the rear, less nimble than the C7 Z51 while changing lanes fast.
I have no experience with Vettes. And sadly, the strike early last year and the subsequent Pandemic destroyed my dreams of getting my first Vette. So I definitely don't have much info on the Vettes and definitely not the C7. I did test drive a 2019 Z06 once and it was a phenomenal car. Despite the same HP/TQ as the ZL1, it felt way faster and a lot more agile. That's all I got.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:37 AM   #5
Bosse'sBoss

Thumbs up

Thanks for your input BlaqWhole.
I'm more focused toward the performance subject not much about the luxury side.
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 04-02-2021 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:35 AM   #6
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
First, I’ll start by saying I’ve watched all those motor trend head 2 heads you mentioned and they heavily influenced what cars I’ve liked this past decade. Second, I disagree with blaq, you can 100% compare the Camaro and Mustang to the m cars. They are 30k+ more than those 2 cars. For that much extra, they better damn well be faster and more luxurious. These days however they are neither (maybe the new gen m3 is but I haven’t seen specs on it yet). If anything, it’s not fair to the Mustang and Camaro because they cost so much less.

A year and a half ago I was deciding what car to get. I test drove an 11-14 Mustang and I was damn sure I was going to get one. It was so much FUN! I loved the way the coyote revved up in that car and I love how sloppy it feels in the corners. You can really have some good old fashioned fun in it! Then one day for the heck of it I test drove an s550(15-17) and as soon as I sat in it I knew I had to choose it over the s197. Here’s the thing about the s550, even though it was way more refined then the s197, it still felt “like a Mustang”. I didn’t like that it felt a little slower than the s197 but I think it had more to do with the rawness of the s197 then the weight of the s550. In the corners the s550 still lets you have some good old fashioned fun, but not as much as the s197. Fast forward a few weeks later, I found a reasonably priced 6th gen SS and the low end torque and the extra features the 1ss had (was only looking at premium Mustangs) over the base Mustang won me over. The 6th gen is better in every conceivable way than the s197 and s550 Mustang. The only nod I give the Mustang is the gen 3 coyote, FROM A ROLL will pull on a SS stock for stock and mod for mod. It has a wicked top end. That being said I don’t tend to drive above 120 very much so no big deal.

Now having said all of that, I don’t regret my decision. I am a performance guy first so it is in my nature to buy the best performance car I can get. That being said I still REALLY wish I had an s197 coyote next to my 6th gen SS. I LOVE it’s playful nature. It’s more fun in some ways than my SS is.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:58 AM   #7
Bosse'sBoss

Thumbs up

Great review m6-lt1,

I also consider that its a great deal, that American sport cars are able to go H2H and even beat expensier Euro & Japanese sport cars on their own game. Some great examples:

-Viper ACR
-Corvette C7 Grand Sport (on a H2H beat the 911S)
-Camaro SS, SS1LE & ZL1
-Shelby GT500 CFTP, GT350R & late GT350

All of them very capable handling sport cars that can put on shame more expensive sport cars.

As well that I think that BMW lost their performance roots, is now more focused toward luxury driving than drivers involvement. Probably the only exceptions are the M2's but they aren't able to keep up with the Camaro SS1LE and neither the M4, it can't beat the Camaro SS on the track.
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 04-03-2021 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:12 AM   #8
m6-lt1

Quote:
As well that I think that BMW lost their performance roots, is now more focused toward luxury driving than drivers involvement. Probably the only exceptions are the M2's but they aren't able to keep up with the Camaro SS1LE and neither the M4 it can't beat the Camaro SS on the track.
Completely agree. I actually like the m2 competition a lot but I can’t justify its price. It’s slower than an SS 1le and I guarantee it has less features compared to a 2ss. Not to mentioned it’s priced around what a Zl1 is so why in the world would I ever choose the m2? Haha. That being said I do still like it but there is a very strong chance that if I’m shopping in that price bracket for my next fun car I think I would have to go Zl1 because of my performance first nature. Only reason I would ever choose the M2 comp is if I feel like I need a “grown up” car or decide I only want one car instead of having a daily. That being said I’d be terrified of the bmw breaking on me as I rack up the miles on it.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:18 PM   #9
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

If performance is the only consideration or the main consideration and you have money to buy the M4 then I wouldn't consider the SS. To me, the ZL1 is the way to go. In fact, if I had M4 money and was focused on performance, then the ZL1, Hellcat, C8 Z51, used C7 Z06, GT350R would be my only options. Each of them can be optioned to come out much lower in price than the M4. So that is where I would direct you. The best deal out of all of them would be a ZL1. Which is why I do not feel the SS vs M4 is a fair comparison. To me the M4 is a much higher quality car and has way more to offer. So pitting it against a car that is strictly performance and then not counting any of the reasons why the M4 is $70K but criticizing it for it's price tag is a bit misleading. Throw turbos, AWD, higher quality leather, and all the other options the M4 has at the SS and it will be heavier, slower, and $70K too.
Old 04-02-2021, 04:50 PM   #10
m6-lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
To me the M4 is a much higher quality car and has way more to offer.
Have you been in a modern bmw? It really isn’t that much “nicer” than a 2ss or zl1 inside. Maybe the leather is slightly nicer but honestly the touch points in the car aren’t as nice as a ss 1le or zl1. The orange peel is just as bad on them as they are our cars. For the base price of 70k on the M4, you’re not even getting leather. I don’t know about you but if I’m spending that much on a car it should come standard with leather seats. It might have some features that our cars don’t have but our 45k cars have some features that an 80k M4 doesn’t have. I think bmw relies too much on its past reputation that it has the attention to detail taken care of inside and outside the car but in reality, they no longer do. I look over on their forums from time to time because tbh I for some reason am still drawn to their cars, but while I’m there I see posts appear from time to time about switching to 6th gen camaros.
Old 04-03-2021, 05:12 AM   #11
Bosse'sBoss

Thumbs up

Now having said all of that, I don’t regret my decision. I am a performance guy first so it is in my nature to buy the best performance car I can get. That being said I still REALLY wish I had an s197 coyote next to my 6th gen SS. I LOVE it’s playful nature. It’s more fun in some ways than my SS is.[/QUOTE]

Yes I consider that the 6th gen Camaro SS MT has a very well rounded personality, almost perfect.

The only thing that I missed from my S197 was the amazing sounding exhaust sound, which I also improved with my GT500 muffler replacement and resonator delete, the NPP on my Camaro SS doesn't compare with that amazing exhaust sound, and the usability of that Mustang rear seat space, on the Camaro there is no rear space for adults.
The looseness or playfulness of the Mustang suspension was fixed with an upgrade to wider 275s instead of the stock 255s tires. Yes the S197 5.0 is a joyful drive. "It should be", because after my test drive, I didn't care of replacing my Porsche 911 Carrera with it.
The pure Muscle car power feeling, nothing compares to drive a V8, RWD with a manual stick, the roar of the V8 and its exhaust sound are intoxicating and addictive, pure adrenaline, a joy to the ears, it makes your heartbeat.

The 6th gen Camaro is a great well balanced out of the box sport car, near perfect.
After driving my Camaro SS with pleasure any time that I have the opportunity of driving it, I don't care for any BMW,

probably the only thing that I miss was the looks of my previous Corvette C7.
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 06-17-2021 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-03-2021, 05:18 AM   #12
Bosse'sBoss

Talking

After owning my 6th gen Camaro SS. My dream car to own in the future is the 6th gen ZL1 followed by the SS1LE, both of them are Shelbys competitors and BMW M beaters.

The only thing that would keep me of getting a Corvette C8, is the lack of a manual shifter, I know that I would become bored of driving it just with a DCT paddle shifter. Not enough driver's involvement feeling for me.
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 04-03-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-03-2021, 04:08 PM   #13
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Now having said all of that, I don’t regret my decision. I am a performance guy first so it is in my nature to buy the best performance car I can get. That being said I still REALLY wish I had an s197 coyote next to my 6th gen SS. I LOVE it’s playful nature. It’s more fun in some ways than my SS is.

Yes I consider that the 6th gen Camaro SS MT has a very well rounded personality, almost perfect.

The only thing that I missed from my S197 was the amazing sounding exhaust sound, which I also improved with my GT500 muffler replacement and resonator delete, the NPP on my Camaro SS doesn't compare with that amazing exhaust sound, and the usability of that Mustang rear seat space, on the Camaro there is no rear space for adults.
The looseness or playfulness of the Mustang suspension was fixed with an upgrade to wider 275s instead of the stock 255s tires. Yes the S197 5.0 is a joyful drive. "It should be", because after my test drive, I didn't care of replacing my Porsche 911 Carrera with it.
The pure Muscle car power feeling, nothing compares to drive a V8, RWD with a manual stick, the roar of the V8 and its exhaust is intoxicating addictive, pure adrenaline joy to the ears it make your heartbeat.

The 6th gen Camaro is a great well balanced out of the box sport car, near perfect.
After driving my Camaro SS with pleasure any time that I have the opportunity of driving it, I don't care for any BMW,

probably the only thing that I miss was the looks of my previous Corvette C7.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on the playful nature as well as the exhaust note... I still have my 2012 GT. It’s now my “beater” car, since I upgraded from the SS to the Z. the GT is a ton of fun on a budget. I bought mine with a big rebate and it was one of the last 2012’s being shipped when I scoffed it up for $26.5K (base model GT). Added the Gt500 axle backs, FRRP tune, aluminum driveshaft, adjustable pan hard bar, bigger wheels and tires, a couple cheap speakers for the fronts, adjustable Koni yellows, steeda lowering springs, adjustable camber plates, topped off with a MGW race spec shifter and steeda clutch spring. All in I have maybe 31K into the car. It handles fantastic, as long as you’re under 110MPH... otherwise the steering feel is pretty vague / uninspiring. The car is very quick, I like the ease of getting in and out of and in general the simplicity / raw feel when you lay into with the nannies off. The best part of the GT, it’s rock solid reliability,(almost at 25K miles now). As for the GT’s bad spots, the SS is more refined, has better high speed control and handling, the torque is way easier to tap into.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:01 AM   #14
Bosse'sBoss

Thumbs up

On my '11 Mustang GT 5.0 6MT 3.73 rear and stock Brembo package, I added Steedas lowering springs, KONI shocks, GT500 shock mounts, STRANO's adjustable F&R swaybars, and wider 275s Michelin Super Sport tires, the car was very well balanced and nimble while racing at my local PCA track, just my brake fluid boiled after several laps of going strong VS a BMW M3 (V8).

On both my S197 5.0 and on my 6th gen Camaro SS I tried driving at 145 MPH (on a Mexican road) Both were very settled at high speed, just the hood on my S197 began to vibrate with the high speed wind.
Attached Images

'02 Porsche 911 Carrera

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 04-05-2021 at 12:54 AM.