kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
got 2 of them today going to pick up the rest 4 tomorrow haha
Old 03-10-2021, 06:45 PM   #58
CC2018SS1LE

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ss 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmblood View Post
Hey Man i was there as well running in my white ss 1le. in group hpde 3 though.

Here is the video of us

https://youtu.be/lwfWojptxVo
CC2018SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:21 PM   #59
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
got 2 of them today going to pick up the rest 4 tomorrow haha
Sweet!

What date are they?
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:52 PM   #60
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2018SS1LE View Post
We shall see how a GS stacks up against a 1LE, Im bringing my GS to Limerock in April or May. Same driver, since I own both cars , my 1 LE was bone stock including alignment, my fastest lap was a 102:5. My tires were screaming, and took a beating, but still a decent time for stocker.

I do not know if Corvette drivers are slow, but I never got passed by a Vette, on the track unless, it was an all out race car on slicks. I have passed many Vettes, in the past 2 years of running HPDEs 25-30 of them

I took my GS in a empty parking lot, that was just paved, with my bone stock GS, it was amazing, felt like a Go Kart, razor sharp, light n
and nimble. I do not think my 1LE could have gone as fast. But on a real race track it might be a different story, looking forward to the comparison. I will video document and post on line
C6 GS is a nice platform and i know a few which have been turned into full race cars very successfully.

1LE may feel different, but it recorded a tremendous figure 8 time during Motor Trend tests. One of the best.

I had a C5Z for about a decade, loved it, ran some TT and w2w in it, ended up modding it into a full on track car with headers and small cam, LG coilovers, AP Racing binders, R1s and some weight cuts to 3000lb to mention major items. I fully expected 1LE to be slower by a good margin, but i wanted a dual purpose car. To my absolute surprise and delight, I ended up beating my PBs at 8 out of 9 venues. Mosport being the only slower one by 0.6 secs (not surprised).
As a matter of fact, the more twisty the track, the better my PBs became.

I strongly believe, that the 1LE is much easier to push at the limit as it communicates its balance and intentions superbly. As Randy once said: "this car makes me a better driver". I agree.
It also has 2 extra features that make it easier on the driver (over older cars): superb rev match and no lift upshifts. I love them both.

Anyhow, they are all great cars, albeit Vettes and Camaros have very different characters and the former is more difficult to master imo. Having said that, if i wanted the ultimate, i would head straight for C7 ZR1.

Here's a cool link to all Lightening Lap comps till 2019. Of course a type of venue will make a difference in a pecking order. But it is a pretty good reference list nevertheless. And while Randy is my fave source for comparos, those guys do a decent job of it:

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...storical-data/

Cheers!

PS when ya take your GS to Limerock, make sure ya put the same old G3s on. Just to make it fair, eh?

PSS watching your other fun vids, i think you will see a big difference in the car's balance with proper track alignment. I am pretty sure of it.

Last edited by TrackClub; 03-10-2021 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:29 PM   #61
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Staggered or square...the latter is much cheaper for sure incl initial purchase, ongoing consumables (new tires) and ability to stretch tire longevity by swapping R to F. But, i have no idea what a non SS balance is like etc. So completely uneducated opinion here. I'd go with whatever TheRealJA would recommend as his chassis was the same (?) as yours albeit he loved a loose car if i recall correctly, so...
I do like a loose car, but now I'm beginning to think I could have gone faster with better rear traction for corner exit. I definitely had to fight my rear end coming around alot especially with the instant torque from the blower. I never really got to exploit my 19x10.5 square setup as I had issues with 2 of those Kumho ACR tires and the 305 G3Rs are still sitting in my basement unused.

Interesting thing that I was doing last year and PMed Krops about. I was only buying the old stock 305/30/20 G3s and running them on the front 10" rim for 3-4 events then I would swap them to the rear rims and put freshies on the front again. It was working out pretty great wear wise and the car really didn't feel any better or worse. I improved my PB at Nelson Ledges on that setup, but didn't beat my Pitt Race time so take that as you will.

Food for thought, I was considering a 20x10.5 square setup to even better utilize those tires. I know TSW makes a few wheels in 20x10.5 et25 and that's what i was considering.

Quote:
We shall see how a GS stacks up against a 1LE, Im bringing my GS to Limerock in April or May. Same driver, since I own both cars , my 1 LE was bone stock including alignment, my fastest lap was a 102:5. My tires were screaming, and took a beating, but still a decent time for stocker.

I do not know if Corvette drivers are slow, but I never got passed by a Vette, on the track unless, it was an all out race car on slicks. I have passed many Vettes, in the past 2 years of running HPDEs 25-30 of them

I took my GS in a empty parking lot, that was just paved, with my bone stock GS, it was amazing, felt like a Go Kart, razor sharp, light n
and nimble. I do not think my 1LE could have gone as fast. But on a real race track it might be a different story, looking forward to the comparison. I will video document and post on line
Still very interested in this outcome.

Quote:
I strongly believe, that the 1LE is much easier to push at the limit as it communicates its balance and intentions superbly. As Randy once said: "this car makes me a better driver". I agree.
It also has 2 extra features that make it easier on the driver (over older cars): superb rev match and no lift upshifts. I love them both.

Anyhow, they are all great cars, albeit Vettes and Camaros have very different characters and the former is more difficult to master imo. Having said that, if i wanted the ultimate, i would head straight for C7 ZR1.

Here's a cool link to all Lightening Lap comps till 2019. Of course a type of venue will make a difference in a pecking order. But it is a pretty good reference list nevertheless. And while Randy is my fave source for comparos, those guys do a decent job of it:

Cheers!

PS when ya take your GS to Limerock, make sure ya put the same old G3s on. Just to make it fair, eh?

PSS watching your other fun vids, i think you will see a big difference in the car's balance with proper track alignment. I am pretty sure of it.
I agree the Alpha is much easier to push at its limits.

I purchased an Auto-blip for my car Still won't be as fast/easy as my A8 was.

Yes on C7ZR1 being the ultimate.

I also reference the historical lightning lap chart and that also shows how far rubber has come. The C6Zs and Grandsports on joke runflats have no chance against a 1LE on G3s.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:28 PM   #62
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
I do like a loose car, but now I'm beginning to think I could have gone faster with better rear traction for corner exit. I definitely had to fight my rear end coming around alot especially with the instant torque from the blower. I never really got to exploit my 19x10.5 square setup as I had issues with 2 of those Kumho ACR tires and the 305 G3Rs are still sitting in my basement unused.

Interesting thing that I was doing last year and PMed Krops about. I was only buying the old stock 305/30/20 G3s and running them on the front 10" rim for 3-4 events then I would swap them to the rear rims and put freshies on the front again. It was working out pretty great wear wise and the car really didn't feel any better or worse. I improved my PB at Nelson Ledges on that setup, but didn't beat my Pitt Race time so take that as you will.

Food for thought, I was considering a 20x10.5 square setup to even better utilize those tires. I know TSW makes a few wheels in 20x10.5 et25 and that's what i was considering.

Still very interested in this outcome.

I agree the Alpha is much easier to push at its limits.

I purchased an Auto-blip for my car Still won't be as fast/easy as my A8 was.

Yes on C7ZR1 being the ultimate.

I also reference the historical lightning lap chart and that also shows how far rubber has come. The C6Zs and Grandsports on joke runflats have no chance against a 1LE on G3s.

Words of wisdom on how far tires have progressed! 200TW rated rubber is better than R comp a decade ago...

If I were to spend extra coin on rims, I would defo get 19s and a benefit of lower gearing. Plus cheaper rubber (i think?).

Good call on the rev match, my bud has it on his C5 race car and it works great. Every little bit of extra focus counts

Cheers!
Old 03-11-2021, 09:06 PM   #63
CC2018SS1LE

Quote:
C6 GS is a nice platform and i know a few which have been turned into full race cars very successfully.

1LE may feel different, but it recorded a tremendous figure 8 time during Motor Trend tests. One of the best.

I had a C5Z for about a decade, loved it, ran some TT and w2w in it, ended up modding it into a full on track car with headers and small cam, LG coilovers, AP Racing binders, R1s and some weight cuts to 3000lb to mention major items. I fully expected 1LE to be slower by a good margin, but i wanted a dual purpose car. To my absolute surprise and delight, I ended up beating my PBs at 8 out of 9 venues. Mosport being the only slower one by 0.6 secs (not surprised).
As a matter of fact, the more twisty the track, the better my PBs became.

Cheers!

I honestly don't know how accurate the comparison between my 1LE and My GS, will be

#1 as you guys mentioned, the tires, on my GS are the OEM run flats, they will not compare to the 3s. But I am going to throw on a new set of R88Rs, to see how they compare to stock tires, again, the 3s are not as sticky as the R88Rs. So going to be a rough comparison.

#2 my 1LE at the time of Limerock had stock alignment, because i drove the car to Florida a few days later
I am going to do a track alignment on my GS prior to track day, so again a hard comparison

My personal opinion, is that the GS is more of a drivers car, a real old fashioned sports car, light, nimble, rough around the edges and you need to be a really good driver to tame her.

The 1LE with all the electronics, I think makes a hero out of average drivers
I absolutely love my 1LEs, both my old 17 hyper blue one and my present 18 white one.
So comfortable, fun to drive, beastly cornering ability.
all in all, 2 totally different cars, with different personalities.
Love them both!!

Im just curious what times I can get out of the GS

Thx for checking out my videos, I want to inform you, that at PBIR, I had no brakes at all, when I passed the C8 and the Shelby. The stock brakes disintegrated after the 1st session. I guess 3 track days, and the long strait at PBIR were too much for the stock pads, my front brakes were metal to metal. I was pumping like crazy, just to stop, After that day I changed to Hawk pads, 70F and 60R, huge difference compared to stock.
i was going 4 seconds a lap slower, with no brakes. I was doing 1:28 laps, with my Hyper Blue 1LE, the year before

We shall see soon, what the GS is capable of, at LRP

All the best
Old 03-11-2021, 10:38 PM   #64
TrackClub

Quote:
I honestly don't know how accurate the comparison between my 1LE and My GS, will be

#1 as you guys mentioned, the tires, on my GS are the OEM run flats, they will not compare to the 3s. But I am going to throw on a new set of R88Rs, to see how they compare to stock tires, again, the 3s are not as sticky as the R88Rs. So going to be a rough comparison.

#2 my 1LE at the time of Limerock had stock alignment, because i drove the car to Florida a few days later
I am going to do a track alignment on my GS prior to track day, so again a hard comparison

My personal opinion, is that the GS is more of a drivers car, a real old fashioned sports car, light, nimble, rough around the edges and you need to be a really good driver to tame her.

The 1LE with all the electronics, I think makes a hero out of average drivers
I absolutely love my 1LEs, both my old 17 hyper blue one and my present 18 white one.
So comfortable, fun to drive, beastly cornering ability.
all in all, 2 totally different cars, with different personalities.
Love them both!!

Im just curious what times I can get out of the GS

Thx for checking out my videos, I want to inform you, that at PBIR, I had no brakes at all, when I passed the C8 and the Shelby. The stock brakes disintegrated after the 1st session. I guess 3 track days, and the long strait at PBIR were too much for the stock pads, my front brakes were metal to metal. I was pumping like crazy, just to stop, After that day I changed to Hawk pads, 70F and 60R, huge difference compared to stock.
i was going 4 seconds a lap slower, with no brakes. I was doing 1:28 laps, with my Hyper Blue 1LE, the year before

We shall see soon, what the GS is capable of, at LRP

All the best
Agree, apples and bananas comparison between those 2 rides, but it will be fun to see the results. I wouldn't say 888Rs have much edge on the G3s imo. Same old compound from many yrs ago with stiffer sidewall. Id say they are very close notwithstanding different TW ratings. Same deal with NT01s frankly, nobody here managed to post gains over stockers worthy much discussion, if at all.

VERY surprised by your experience with stock Ferodo pads. Are ya sure that's what they were and were they new? I had tried a couple different pads and at the end went back to stockers. I like their torque curve, modulation and no excessive heat. I easily get 6 days out of them and never had an issue.

Word of caution about 70s as they put out tons of heat. Hope you run SRF and watch your seals and pistons - they are not vented.

One super fast member here ran on 60s all around, just fyi.
Another one of the same pace criteria runs stockers on his ZLE.
So brakes dont seem to be a weak link here.

Anyhow, with high torque pads prepare for your Brambos to turn into Brownbos...

Lastly, there is zero need to split torque on a Camaro F vs R unless somebody wants more understeer on turn in and i dont think that's you It also makes fronts work extra hard, unnecessarily, which also affects tire temps. Just an fyi.
This is one significant difference between a Camaro vs Vette set up from my experience.

It will be a while till i get on a track, so looking fwd to your Fla vids. You lucky Dog, you!

Cheers!
Old 03-11-2021, 11:06 PM   #65
CC2018SS1LE

Quote:
Agree, apples and bananas comparison between those 2 rides, but it will be fun to see the results. I wouldn't say 888Rs have much edge on the G3s imo. Same old compound from many yrs ago with stiffer sidewall. Id say they are very close notwithstanding different TW ratings. Same deal with NT01s frankly, nobody here managed to post gains over stockers worthy much discussion, if at all.

VERY surprised by your experience with stock Ferodo pads. Are ya sure that's what they were and were they new? I had tried a couple different pads and at the end went back to stockers. I like their torque curve, modulation and no excessive heat. I easily get 6 days out of them and never had an issue.

Word of caution about 70s as they put out tons of heat. Hope you run SRF and watch your seals and pistons - they are not vented.

One super fast member here ran on 60s all around, just fyi.
Another one of the same pace criteria runs stockers on his ZLE.
So brakes dont seem to be a weak link here.

Anyhow, with high torque pads prepare for your Brambos to turn into Brownbos...

Lastly, there is zero need to split torque on a Camaro F vs R unless somebody wants more understeer on turn in and i dont think that's you It also makes fronts work extra hard, unnecessarily, which also affects tire temps. Just an fyi.
This is one significant difference between a Camaro vs Vette set up from my experience.

It will be a while till i get on a track, so looking fwd to your Fla vids. You lucky Dog, you!

Cheers!

Glad you are enjoying the videos, love Florida in the winter

The brakes had 15,000 miles on them, plus 3 track days, I am a very late braker , when I have good tires. I do not think stock brakes would have lasted at Sebring, there are 4 places per lap, where you are braking from above 130 mph
I do run high temp brake fluid, have to bleed before nxt event

I will keep an eye on the Brembo’s, ty

I was recommended to run 70f - 60r by Hawk
The ABS should take care of the fronts, if they are going to lock up. It will put more fluid to the rear

Car felt 100% balanced while braking, no understeer, even with my old tires

Thx for advice
Old 03-12-2021, 10:12 AM   #66
TrackClub

Quote:
Glad you are enjoying the videos, love Florida in the winter

The brakes had 15,000 miles on them, plus 3 track days, I am a very late braker , when I have good tires. I do not think stock brakes would have lasted at Sebring, there are 4 places per lap, where you are braking from above 130 mph
I do run high temp brake fluid, have to bleed before nxt event

I will keep an eye on the Brembo’s, ty

I was recommended to run 70f - 60r by Hawk
The ABS should take care of the fronts, if they are going to lock up. It will put more fluid to the rear

Car felt 100% balanced while braking, no understeer, even with my old tires

Thx for advice
There seems to be a marketing propensity by many outfits, to push high torque pads to amateur consumers these days. Yet, racing pros put value on smooth initial engagement and release capabilities of relatively mid torque pads, unless a car has full aero.
Until DTC80 came on the market, DTC70 was Hawks top dog, recommended for race cars on slicks. Times change i suppose.

My musings aside, there have been many threads here of folks reaching ridiculous temps with these pads, incl boiling lesser high temp fluids, so just be aware. Obviously venue type will play a major part here. If it offers sufficiently long straights to cool things down (like Sebring), there should be no issue and top speed will have little to do with it. From my experience, it is "intermediate" type venues, not necessarily very fast, but with little cooling opportunities between brake applications that cause issues (multiple personal experience with ST43s).

15k miles and 3 track days would have likely used the pads below 50% when wear accelerates quickly. For me, stockers wear about 1mm per day, when they reach backplate thickness they are about 50% done and good for 1 more day, 2 max. So 6 max 7 days. Note i don't put tons of street miles albeit often drive 2 to 6hrs to tracks (yet it is mostly hiway).

I too brake late, often outbraking club racers on slicks and like to point the car with brakes, meaning i trail brake very deeply. Zero issues slowing the car down from 140+, zero pad fade and obviously zero heat issues (my calipers were still factory red after 60+ days on my 17).

Anyway, brakes seem to be like underwear, we all have our favorites.

As far as running higher torque pads up front, it is very much like adjusting brake bias to the front, so it will make the car not turn in as willingly as it IDEALLY could. It may not manifest itself as understeer depending on a driving style, but there is no two ways about it affecting rotation. But not worth splitting hairs here as we are not going for world records

Enjoy Florida, used to go there regularly in the past and always had bags of fun. Beautiful place and awesome seafood!

Cheers!
Old 03-12-2021, 01:55 PM   #67
TheRealJA105

Agree that G3s are very close to R888R and NT01s. R888Rs will definitely be a more fair comparison on the GS vs the stock tires.

Also agree that brake manufacturers like to push high torque pads, but it seems like most everyone that runs them likes them so it must be working???

I have some 70/60s for the vette
Old 03-12-2021, 03:19 PM   #68
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Quote:
Agree that G3s are very close to R888R and NT01s. R888Rs will definitely be a more fair comparison on the GS vs the stock tires.

Also agree that brake manufacturers like to push high torque pads, but it seems like most everyone that runs them likes them so it must be working???

excuse my ignorance but the G3's are the f1 supercar 3s or something else.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:25 PM   #69
TheRealJA105

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy_tim View Post
excuse my ignorance but the G3's are the f1 supercar 3s or something else.
Yeah most of us here have just adopted calling them G3 and G3R.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:33 PM   #70
CC2018SS1LE

Quote:

I can’t believe G3’s are that good, compared to R88Rs. I run R88Rs on a Camaro A Sedan, I run in HPDEs for fun, they are pretty damn good. They are only 255/50/16s, and they stick great, the car weighs 3300 lbs with me in it, has about 400 rwhp. A really fun car to drive, you can go around turns with a power slide, just controlling turn with the throttle

We shall see, I’m going to change tires at the track, see what happens.

As for the brakes, I love the Hawks, I guess it just a matter of preference

I really liked the Ferrado’s, until I put on the Hawks. I can brake 10-15 yards further into the corner, with the Hawks. Will see what happens with the heat, my Brembo’s are still bright red after 2 days at Sebring. I also had zero brake fade

Only time will tell

Thx for input guys