Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-10-2019, 08:55 PM   #547
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Drives: 2015 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleman22 View Post
@soler,

what is your thoughts on these cars "relearning" in time, after a ported throttle body install. Many members have experienced the car becoming lazy once again.
appleman, a few points I think are at play.

The problem is compounded, Total Delay = Hardware (TB) + Non-Linear Throttle Map + Built-in Factory Tune Limits/Thresholds.

We only take care of the hardware issue here. At first, when you install it, you'll probably like it and feel a substantial difference. But one gets used to a good thing rather fast and you will definitely spot the other two components of the problem more clearly under certain driving conditions. Not that you lost what you had gained.

We have measured the throttle response after months of use, precisely b/c of these comments, no change in performance. Moreover, you install your stock TB back and it will do all you disliked about it, this is an easy reminder.

BTW, we are testing a throttle controller with some members here, that will take care of the second component.

Oh, to this point, and this something I experienced myself. When testing our throttle controller in my car, I initially thought the most aggressive modes were too much and that I'd probably get rid of them. One week later I was using the most aggressive mode permanently. What can I say, adrenaline is addictive, one always wants more of a good thing.

Last edited by Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC; 09-10-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:24 PM   #548
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC View Post
appleman, a few points I think are at play.

The problem is compounded, Total Delay = Hardware (TB) + Non-Linear Throttle Map + Built-in Factory Tune Limits/Thresholds.

We only take care of the hardware issue here. At first, when you install it, you'll probably like it and feel a substantial difference. But one gets used to a good thing rather fast and you will definitely spot the other two components of the problem more clearly under certain driving conditions. Not that you lost what you had gained.

We have measured the throttle response after months of use, precisely b/c of these comments, no change in performance. Moreover, you install your stock TB back and it will do all you disliked about it, this is an easy reminder.

BTW, we are testing a throttle controller with some members here, that will take care of the second component.

Oh, to this point, and this something I experienced myself. When testing our throttle controller in my car, I initially thought the most aggressive modes were too much and that I'd probably get rid of them. One week later I was using the most aggressive mode permanently. What can I say, adrenaline is addictive, one always wants more of a good thing.

So far I like the TB but the slight surge is still there after 5 or 600 mi. Will that stop?
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:33 AM   #549
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
So far I like the TB but the slight surge is still there after 5 or 600 mi. Will that stop?
No, not after that long. It won't learn any better. We'll have to go custom in cases this. Unfortunately, some cars are so tightly calibrated that they won't accept what most cars will.

Please, e-mail or call, we'd like to know the details and customize accordingly.

Thanks, and sorry to hear that, we'll get you one that works 100% or a full refund.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #550
breadwoman

Drives: FRS
This surge that everyone's talking about. What is it exactly? Is it that the car would accelerate in an excessive/inconsistent manner under gradual depression of the gas pedal?

In 2nd gear, my car would feel like it got an extra 50 lb/ft of torque when lightly accelerating at ~2.5k RPM since installing the Soler TB. Is that it?
breadwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #551
Move'n Up

Drives: 17 Z06/Z07, 17 2SS Fifty, Ram 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadwoman View Post
This surge that everyone's talking about. What is it exactly? Is it that the car would accelerate in an excessive/inconsistent manner under gradual depression of the gas pedal?

In 2nd gear, my car would feel like it got an extra 50 lb/ft of torque when lightly accelerating at ~2.5k RPM since installing the Soler TB. Is that it?
It's when you try to hold a steady throttle and speed but the car feels like you are pushing the throttle and then letting off, say about 5~10%.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:19 PM   #552
Mighty Mouce
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move'n Up View Post
It's when you try to hold a steady throttle and speed but the car feels like you are pushing the throttle and then letting off, say about 5~10%.
Yeh..thats it. Seems to be at around the 2k range give or take.
Mighty Mouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #553
Nitefall17

Drives: Camaro 1SS A8 Vert
I only get a surge when going V8 to V4 mode when the AFM valves are closing.
This is on the highway.
Nitefall17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:00 PM   #554
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mouce View Post
Yeh..thats it. Seems to be at around the 2k range give or take.
The VVE table has a weird non-linearity at that point. I'm not an expert on fueling and i think the MAF table is the more used table, but my gut says this has something to do with it.

I'll try to attach a photo of my stock VVE table so you can see what I am talking about.

edit: RPMS are the bottom axis, air mass (loading) is the left axis, the vertical axis is fueling.
Attached Images

geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:14 PM   #555
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Quick announcement; our LT5 Modified TB is out. Please, check this thread:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561920
Old 09-12-2019, 07:36 AM   #556
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux_tigerss View Post
The VVE table has a weird non-linearity at that point. I'm not an expert on fueling and i think the MAF table is the more used table, but my gut says this has something to do with it.

I'll try to attach a photo of my stock VVE table so you can see what I am talking about.

edit: RPMS are the bottom axis, air mass (loading) is the left axis, the vertical axis is fueling.
So the vertical fueling axis, is this fuel rail pressure? I use the torque 2 app for logging, trying to produce a similar chart from my car.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:00 AM   #557
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
So the vertical fueling axis, is this fuel rail pressure? I use the torque 2 app for logging, trying to produce a similar chart from my car.
It's not the fuel rail pressure, it's virtual volumetric efficiency (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volumetric_efficiency).

The chart I posted was made in excel from VVE table data I pulled out of HPTuners on my car. I would have just screen grabbed straight from HPTuners, but I didn't have the laptop with me at the time.
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:35 AM   #558
NA18CamaroSS

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Screen shots of the VE table in EFI Live. The stock VE table has a huge valley in the middle from .037 to .059 above 3,000 RPM. Screen shot two is the stock VE table, screen shot one is a smoothed out VE table.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2019, 11:07 AM   #559
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Thanks, B19. Great analysis, good data.

Do you have one of our TB's? If you are having surging issues and you think it is related to our TB, we can help with that.

Please, e-mail us or call. If you send us your TB serial number we can start the process from here.

Thanks,
Old 09-13-2019, 12:24 PM   #560
NA18CamaroSS

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC View Post
Thanks, B19. Great analysis, good data.

Do you have one of our TB's? If you are having surging issues and you think it is related to our TB, we can help with that.

Please, e-mail us or call. If you send us your TB serial number we can start the process from here.

Thanks,
No issues. The car runs like a champ. Waiting on my Pray Performance ported intake manifold so that I can send you my stock bore Soler TB for the Soler 95mm TB.