Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-31-2023, 08:35 AM   #1
Waleedriazz

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro 2.0 I-4
Blot-ons.. what's next?

Happy Winter, everyone!

I'm looking for some guidance on what can I further do on my LTG A8 for more power. Not looking for flex fuel as it is very difficult to find flex fuel in the town I live, in Ontario. My current mods are:
- Injen 7500 CAI
- Flowmaster Thunder Axle back Exhaust
- Trifecta Tune
- upgraded spark plugs

I'm looking for slightly more power without having to put in a million more things. I'd be grateful for some suggestions!

Thanks!
Waleedriazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 01:31 PM   #2
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waleedriazz View Post
Happy Winter, everyone!

I'm looking for some guidance on what can I further do on my LTG A8 for more power. Not looking for flex fuel as it is very difficult to find flex fuel in the town I live, in Ontario. My current mods are:
- Injen 7500 CAI
- Flowmaster Thunder Axle back Exhaust
- Trifecta Tune
- upgraded spark plugs

I'm looking for slightly more power without having to put in a million more things. I'd be grateful for some suggestions!

Thanks!
1. Slightly larger turbo (on stock internals)
2. Larger Throttle Body
3. Downpipe
4. Charge Pipes
5. Intercooler
6. Oil Cooler
7. Turbo Blanket
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:51 PM   #3
Waleedriazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
1. Slightly larger turbo (on stock internals)
2. Larger Throttle Body
3. Downpipe
4. Charge Pipes
5. Intercooler
6. Oil Cooler
7. Turbo Blanket

Thanks!!

Can I go with larger throttle body and turbo without having to add the intercooler? Any suggestions on the larger turbo?

I can't remove my bumper b/c it can't be reattached (will need replacement lol, adding further to my expenses)
Old 02-01-2023, 03:19 PM   #4
Start The Machine

Quote:
Thanks!!

Can I go with larger throttle body and turbo without having to add the intercooler? Any suggestions on the larger turbo?

I can't remove my bumper b/c it can't be reattached (will need replacement lol, adding further to my expenses)
You are going to need the aftermarket cold side charge pipe for the larger throttle body. The stock "screw-on lock" one will not fit.

Contact Trifecta and ask them for their T40 Turbo and tune for it. Otherwise, you're on your own with any other turbo and finding someone to tune it. I'd just stick with Trifecta.

I've taken my front bumper off and put put back on 3 different times with zero issues. You can do it.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Old 02-01-2023, 10:04 PM   #5
Waleedriazz

Quote:
You are going to need the aftermarket cold side charge pipe for the larger throttle body. The stock "screw-on lock" one will not fit.

Contact Trifecta and ask them for their T40 Turbo and tune for it. Otherwise, you're on your own with any other turbo and finding someone to tune it. I'd just stick with Trifecta.

I've taken my front bumper off and put put back on 3 different times with zero issues. You can do it.
It was very much doable for me too, until i had a hit and run that the insurance refused to cover without deductible. I ended up replacing the bumper with a 2018 model that was being part-out. It didn't have clips and .. well, i have several parts of it glued in a way that once they detach, they'll never reattach lol

I'll definitely look into the throttle body and the larger turbo, as well as the oil cooler. I think they'll be enough power for me
Thanks again !!
Old 02-02-2023, 09:30 PM   #6
95TA - The Beast

Drives: 2014 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance
Lets clarify a few things...

1) Larger turbo - Yes, the biggest on stock internals is a ZZP Big Wheel
2) Larger Throttlebody - DOES NOT ADD ANYTHING. You can do the same thing with a tune.
3) Downpipe does add power, be sure to get the tune modified for it.
4) Charge pipes - DOES NOT ADD ANYTHING. You need a modified engine and a BIG turbo to make use of them
5) Intercooler - DOES NOT ADD ANYTHING. Again, you need a modified engine and big turbo.
6) Oil Cooler - DOES NOT ADD ANYTHING. The LTG comes with a STOCK oil cooler. It is fine (just like the stock charge pipes and intercooler) until you go modified engine and big turbo and even then NO ONE has complained about oil temps.
7) Turbo Blanket - Again, DOES NOT ADD ANYTHING. It *can* help reduce temps in teh engine compartment, but the big issue is if you do not use the stock heat shield you are exposing the valve cover and other items to heat that it did not get prior, thus you can create oil leaks and other issues. If your car is newer, and low miles than you shouldn't have a problem. Otherwise high mileage and an older engine it is NOT recommended... I know a few people that have caused issues for themselves with older engines and high miles running a blanket without the heat shield. You *CAN* run the blanket AND stock heatshield, you just need to engineer that solutuon (holes in the blanket).

Sorry, I just CANNOT stand when people talk about larger throttle bodies and act like they make power, since the LTG is a turbo engine the throttlebody has ZERO effect on power output. It only changes the pedal "feel", but that same "feel" can be modified via tune. So if you have a Trifecta tune you ALREADY have those changes made, so AGAIN the larger throttlebody DOES NOTHING!

If you want to add the entire "mod catalog" than add EVERYTHING, just don't expect any more power out of anything else except for the downpipe and bigger turbo. And for those you need to have your tune modified to support them.
95TA - The Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 02:30 PM   #7
Start The Machine

"The whole is greater than the sum of the parts"

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match here, but I cataloged all of my mods 1 at a time on this forum and wrote an honest report each step of the way. I documented everything I did to see if it was a waste of money, or did it help in some way. I did 3 separate dyno tunes along the way. I would add a few things and test. Added a couple more and test. Every time there was noticeable, documented gains ending with my 3rd and final dyno tune for the "big wheel" turbo. I obviously can't go any further because I'm still on stock internals, fueling issues and zero access to E85 in the state in live in.

My theory (and common sense) has always been to make everything match up together. Larger turbo = larger throttle body = larger intercooler = larger charge pipes = larger air ram = larger intake tube = aftermarket downpipe = full 3" exhaust etc..

We all know heat kills these engines and robs them of power. My goal is absolute reliability and doing everything I can to keep the under hood temps down. I'm guilty as charge with the HD cooling package, wrapping my down-pipe, using a turbo blanket, replacing the stock radiator fluid with Liquid Chill, using fully synthetic fluids for the engine, trans and diff.

I don't judge anyone on here. It's all trial and error. It was a fun little project car that I still very much enjoy driving.

Last edited by Start The Machine; 02-03-2023 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-04-2023, 11:10 AM   #8
Waleedriazz

Quote:

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match here, but I cataloged all of my mods 1 at a time on this forum and wrote an honest report each step of the way. I documented everything I did to see if it was a waste of money, or did it help in some way. I did 3 separate dyno tunes along the way. I would add a few things and test. Added a couple more and test. Every time there was noticeable, documented gains ending with my 3rd and final dyno tune for the "big wheel" turbo. I obviously can't go any further because I'm still on stock internals, fueling issues and zero access to E85 in the state in live in.

My theory (and common sense) has always been to make everything match up together. Larger turbo = larger throttle body = larger intercooler = larger charge pipes = larger air ram = larger intake tube = aftermarket downpipe = full 3" exhaust etc..

We all know heat kills these engines and robs them of power. My goal is absolute reliability and doing everything I can to keep the under hood temps down. I'm guilty as charge with the HD cooling package, wrapping my down-pipe, using a turbo blanket, replacing the stock radiator fluid with Liquid Chill, using fully synthetic fluids for the engine, trans and diff.

I don't judge anyone on here. It's all trial and error. It was a fun little project car that I still very much enjoy driving.

So, my takeaway from the post is: it's all or none. I must get a turbo upgrade and, sooner or later, the supporting bolt-ons. Any suggestions on how I can increase power without having to go all-in?

My 2.5" exhaust sound is just perfect for me. The CAI works great as well in terms of sound and power. I just need a little more, and that's it.

Ps. thanks for the input. Not considering it a pissing match. Having different opinions is welcomed and Infact, appreciated for a more informed decision!
Old 02-04-2023, 12:26 PM   #9
Start The Machine

Quote:
So, my takeaway from the post is: it's all or none. I must get a turbo upgrade and, sooner or later, the supporting bolt-ons. Any suggestions on how I can increase power without having to go all-in?

My 2.5" exhaust sound is just perfect for me. The CAI works great as well in terms of sound and power. I just need a little more, and that's it.

Ps. thanks for the input. Not considering it a pissing match. Having different opinions is welcomed and Infact, appreciated for a more informed decision!

On stock internals, any big wheel turbo, downpipe and a good tune. Leave everything else stock.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:06 PM   #10
Davescamaro

Drives: Chevy camaro
Intercooler piping and core will help.anything to reduce Temps is key for sleight gains.

Just like a v8 or v6, v12, i4, you have to attack the heart if your looking at serious gains. Pistons, connecting rods, valvetrain is to gain the most, but lose reliability.
So as start the machine said. Basic bolt ons, cooling, and tune, sleight bigger turbo (and please balance out fuel if your tune file is bigger than 60% duty of fuel injectors). If you want more than 400whp, just stop where your at, go back to stock, and trade in for the 6.2L either SS or LT1.
Old 02-05-2023, 01:05 AM   #11
Waleedriazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davescamaro View Post
Intercooler piping and core will help.anything to reduce Temps is key for sleight gains.

Just like a v8 or v6, v12, i4, you have to attack the heart if your looking at serious gains. Pistons, connecting rods, valvetrain is to gain the most, but lose reliability.
So as start the machine said. Basic bolt ons, cooling, and tune, sleight bigger turbo (and please balance out fuel if your tune file is bigger than 60% duty of fuel injectors). If you want more than 400whp, just stop where your at, go back to stock, and trade in for the 6.2L either SS or LT1.
Your mods are kinda close to mine, what is your vehicle pushing in terms of power on wheels? I wonder if I really need that big turbo upgrade yet

Last edited by Waleedriazz; 02-05-2023 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-07-2023, 06:58 PM   #12
95TA - The Beast

Drives: 2014 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance
Quote:
When it comes to engineering, that is a 100% wrong "assumption".

Understanding how compressed air flows and the math involved, the ONLY way a larger throttlebody can produce power is IF and ONLY IF, the original throttlebody was a restriction to the compressed air flowing through it. Start looking up the math involved and you will find the throttlebody is calculated based on the naturally aspirated airflow that will be seen flowing through it. Anything larger means NOTHING under boost.

People with LSx engines always wanted to go larger and larger and again, most of that is a waste of time and money.

The ONLY reason larger throttlebodies are available for the LTG is because they came out with a 2.5l NA engine as an option for the ATS. Without that there would never BE a larger throttlebody available. And, again, per math, a 2.5l NA engine will draw more air than a 2.0l under NA circumstances, thus it required a larger throttlebody.

Same thing with the intercooler and pipes. They add more volume, but until you are pushing enough air they will NOT equate to more power. A front-mount intercooler could be argued as a "better" choice, purely because it sits in front of the AC condenser, not sandwiched between the condenser and the radiator. But THAT is it at stock, or even marginally above stock boost levels.

Again, if you are putting a larger turbo on, you have ALL the excuse to do an intercooler and pipes, but they won't gain you much at all at stock boost levels or slightly above.

The oil coolers don't do anything unless you are racing (and not drag racing, but roadcourses) and the turbo blanket won't do anything but keep het in the turbo, which becomes an interest with larger turbos, and quite frankly isn't a BAD idea regardless, but expect it to ADD power at stock boost or slightly elevated boost...

This whole idea that everything is "trial and error" is a joke. That is the kind of comment a cobalt owner would say... At this point turbo engines and dynamics are a VERY mature science.

Attitudes like that are pushed by the people that do not have experience in buildings cars and making power with power adders. Some of us have decades of experience and that proves otherwise. It is also pushed by vendors that want to make a buck and don't care about producing products that are actually needed.
95TA - The Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:16 AM   #13
Davescamaro

Drives: Chevy camaro
Quote:
Your mods are kinda close to mine, what is your vehicle pushing in terms of power on wheels? I wonder if I really need that big turbo upgrade yet
I have not had the opportunity to dyno my vehicle as of yet. The only thing I have done was try it out at street car takeover last year at zmax speedway. I ran a 13.2 @104mph. Not bad, but eh. I think maybe low 300s at the wheels. For a daily driven, I do like it. I just think putting a bigger turbo on stock internals is not in the long term to go with.
I was always told even 25 years ago, if you add more boost, you have to have more fuel to back it up and stronger internals.
Old 02-11-2023, 01:45 PM   #14
Waleedriazz

I also daily my vehicle and therefore, a large turbo investment wont make sense to me. Thanks guys, I'll just go with a diverter valve to minimize the turbo lag and a downpipe to increase flow. That should do me just enough, from what you guys mentioned (and from my own research as well).
I saw some pre- and post-downpipe dyno and am satisfied with the outcome. Worth the little bit of extra power!