Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-05-2020, 09:37 AM   #169
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
in a way the 'not enough trunk space ' argument falls flat because the Camaro needs younger buyers, and they don't carry around golf clubs and they've been driving cars with less space than the Camaro for 3 decades.
in short they need more 20something women buying 4 cyl and 6 cyl Camaro's than 50 year old men.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:47 AM   #170
Drews

Drives: '02 Camaro SS, '69 Z/28 , '20 ZL1
Talking about advertising... i also agree with ''JeffFox'' on this one.

Even if i'd like to see advertisements of the Chevrolet Performance line-up just like Dodge seems to do ... I'm sure its not in GM's budget priorities.

If you guys don't know the Dodge commercials i.m refering to...i'll give you a glimpse later on.

But let us be thankful for today..., because we are enjoying these Camaro's as they are now. Because we wouldn't be as passionate about the model if GM had not re-started production after the last 4th gen 2002 year rolled off the assembly line.

The 5th gen Camaro really helped ignite the passion... and thank God for that.

Take care guys...

Andrew

By the way...the following commercials are from Dodge ... enjoy the entertainment.

Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:58 AM   #171
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
all Fiat's money goes to advertising since they havn't actually designed a challenger chassis.
thanks daimler, 20 years ago.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:11 AM   #172
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
in a way the 'not enough trunk space ' argument falls flat because the Camaro needs younger buyers, and they don't carry around golf clubs and they've been driving cars with less space than the Camaro for 3 decades.
in short they need more 20something women buying 4 cyl and 6 cyl Camaro's than 50 year old men.
I would love to see the demographics for all 3 cars.

Occupation/education
Income

And I totally agree. I think (without data) that the Mustang sells in higher volumes because it sells in higher volumes to women and higher volumes in NON V8 models.

As much as we think the styling of the Camaro is better, and it is, the Mustang has "cleaner" more "European" look to it. And the problem with bold styling statements is you can get very polar results for appeal.

I remember years ago seeing the results of a pickup truck clinic. Dodge vs the Silverado. People either really like the Dodge or really hated it. Full spectrum on the chart for strongly like or strongly hate. The Silverado? No on hated it all the worst was dead middle on that chart. Problem was no one strongly love it either.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #173
ferrisbueller

Drives: 50th anniversary hot wheels camaro
damn that's kick ass commercials! especially with AC/DC
"FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK WE SALUTE YOU"
ferrisbueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:13 AM   #174
7speed

Drives: 21 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drews View Post

Even if i'd like to see advertisements of the Chevrolet Performance line-up just like Dodge seems to do ... I'm sure its not in GM's budget priorities.

If you guys don't know the Dodge commercials i.m refering to...i'll give you a glimpse later on.

But let us be thankful for today..., because we are enjoying these Camaro's as they are now. Because we wouldn't be as passionate about the model if GM had not re-started production after the last 4th gen 2002 year rolled off the assembly line.

Take care guys...

Andrew

By the way...the following commercials are from Dodge ... enjoy the entertainment.

True, to me 1 of the best dodge commercials was the wolfpack one. I had a 2015 RT Challenger back then, it made me want to go get another 1

Last edited by 7speed; 04-05-2020 at 11:33 AM.
7speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:49 AM   #175
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drews View Post

Take care guys...

Andrew

I also absolutely love these Dodge clips.

The point Number 3 was making about this, however, is that if similar ones were made for the Camaro, it would only serve to reinforce our passion and validate our decision to buy one, unlikely to bring in any more sales until the low end trim buyer crowd is expanded via addressing the shortcomings we can easily overlook.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18

Last edited by arpad_m; 04-05-2020 at 01:22 PM.
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:50 AM   #176
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Here's the new Camaro commercial:

Which one piques your interest in a new car? Dodge or the current Camaro ad?
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:50 PM   #177
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Flat out, the Camaro is the best performing car in the segment. Regardless of not getting in a HP chase with Fiat and Ford, GM has outstanding engines. The Coyote in the Mustang is wildly more expensive than the LT1/LT4. And to get the HP Ford and Fiat are getting with the GT500 and Hellcat isn't cheap either.
GM chassis engineering is second to none. The LT1 and LT4 are cheap because they are maximizing its volume. GM would never build anything like the GT500 in the Camaro. If you gave GM the choice between building a bespoke engine for the Camaro and seeing a large increase in sales, or leaving it as is and having it die, we all know what they would chose. GM does the absolute minimum for the Camaro and we are seeing the results.

Quote:
Comments earlier about the Z/28 getting a 10 year old engine and Corvette CC brakes. Well at the time, NOTHING could touch that car. But it was horribly expensive and gave up every creature comfort (optional A/C) to dominate the track. And it did. And it sold like crap not meeting the 2,500 per year target in either year if I recall correctly.
The Z/28 is an excellent car, never said otherwise. They still charged top dollar for second hand parts. The GT350R was cheaper with a one off engine (something GM would never do for the Camaro, let alone a FPC V8 for Camaro), carbon fiber wheels and all sorts of other modifications. Its almost like GM wants to punish people that want something different, where other brands don't.

Quote:
So GM has elected to not pursue higher priced Camaros (LT5) with low sales volumes. Remember, they are about profit now. If people would line up to buy it, make GM more profit, then they would do it.
How much profit are they making with Camaro sales falling on their face? How much money are they losing on overhead because volume is so low? The Alpha cars are not selling. No one wants an ATS, CTS or Camaro. I don't see anything changing for the new versions either. And on top of all that, Cadillac throws the V badge under the buss. The one thing Cadillac actually does right and they screw that up too.

Quote:
GM has fixed capital to invest, fixed resources to devote to projects and programs. Of course on this site we believe GM should devote those to the Camaro. But step back and ask why GM should pour more money into a car that is way under performing from a sales point of view and you can jump to the conclusion, not meeting profitability targets. If you could buy stock in Camaro today, would you?
I would never invest in Camaro, even at the lauch because GM doesn't do anything to build the brand. GM gives Team Camaro as little as possible and leaves it up to the engineers to figure out. Luckily for us, the chassis and engines are good but there's no support after that. Manual Camaros are stuck with the AFM valve train, even though AFM can't be used. The ZL1 LT4 is stuck with the tiny 1.7 liter blower meant to fit under the hood of the Z06. Hell, even the Camaro team had to fix the LT4 and that upgrade was rolled back into the Corvette. On top of all that, GM would never consider putting its best engines in the Camaro. If stripped out, bare bones cars weren't acceptable, the all the Porsche RS cars would not exist. The difference is those brands established a legacy for those cars. If you want to build and sell top dollar Camaros, you have to create a foundation that drive sales. The Z/28 badge is iconic and they could have leveraged it but they choose not to. They choose to limit the Camaro and the sales are suffering for it. GM is literally trying to limp the Camaro along for 4 or 5 years without adding anything to the brand. That will never work.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:33 PM   #178
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
The Dodge ads are meant to defuse critics of its porkiness, clearly.

Quote:
I think (without data) that the Mustang sells in higher volumes because it sells in higher volumes to women and higher volumes in NON V8 models.

As much as we think the styling of the Camaro is better, and it is, the Mustang has "cleaner" more "European" look to it. And the problem with bold styling statements is you can get very polar results for appeal.
GM can do a couple quick ads that bridge demographics.
They could do some Family Guy style surreal cultural theft:

1. A young woman in a Camaro pulls to a light next to a guy in a Mustang with a passenger dog. Revs the V6, "Hey it's a great big fat guy with a precious puppy. Wanna go?"

The guy revs his ecoboost back, "Okay, let's go."

The dog jumps out and into the Camaro. She says, "I was talking to the dog!" And launches it.

Cut back to the guy's face in make-up and ear rings. "Gimme back my dog, you don't know what pain is!"

2. Two younger guys playing a racing game, 1st with a Camaro. The 2nd gets up, "You wanted to go get food. Let's go."

1st guy says, "Go ahead. I'll catch up."

2nd guy driving a Dodge comes up on sharp curve, lumbers through and then, a passing zone. A Camaro roars past, hits a slight puddle to splash the Dodge windshield.

They pull into a fast food place. 1st guy, carrying a black towel, "I see you got splashed." Then starts wiping the windshield viciously. Forehand. Backhand. Forehand. Backhand.

1st guy at the order counter, "Do you have fava beans and a nice chianti? Fefefefefe!"

That's the kind of ad I'd like to see. I think they can edit to be brief. A Camaro that doesn't take itself too seriously can perhaps win over those whom have written it off. Wierd will stick in people minds. It still highlights 6th gen strength. Silence of the Lambs rip offs if I didn't flesh it out well enough.

Last edited by genxer; 04-05-2020 at 04:45 PM.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:00 PM   #179
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
The Dodge ads are meant to defuse critics of its porkiness, clearly.

GM can do a couple quick ads that bridge demographics.
They could do some Family Guy style surreal cultural theft:

1. A young woman in a Camaro pulls to a light next to a guy in a Mustang with a passenger dog. Revs the V6, "Hey it's a great big fat guy with a precious puppy. Wanna go?"

The guy revs his ecoboost back, "Okay, let's go."

The dog jumps out and into the Camaro. She says, "I was talking to the dog!" And launches it.

Cut back to the guy's face in make-up and ear rings. "Gimme back my dog, you don't know what pain is!"

2. Two younger guys playing a racing game, 1st with a Camaro. The 2nd gets up, "You wanted to go get food. Let's go."

1st guy says, "Go ahead. I'll catch up."

2nd guy driving a Dodge comes up on sharp curve, lumbers through and then, a passing zone. A Camaro roars past, hits a slight puddle to splash the Dodge windshield.

They pull into a fast food place. 1st guy, carrying a black towel, "I see you got splashed." Then starts wiping the windshield viciously. Forehand. Backhand. Forehand. Backhand.

1st guy at the order counter, "Do you have fava beans and a nice chianti? Fefefefefe!"

That's the kind of ad I'd like to see. I think they can edit to be brief. A Camaro that doesn't take itself too seriously can perhaps win over those whom have written it off. Wierd will stick in people minds. It still highlights 6th gen strength. Silence of the Lambs rip offs if I didn't flesh it out well enough.
They would be cool ads......just wouldn’t sell any added a Camaros.

Marketing (and the subset advertising fails) when you try to convince some that a product is what isn’t and can’t delever on the message.

If you want a fun coupe, that looks sporty but you can drive and park and easily use everyday you can’t advertise the Camaro to that person because it isn’t what it is.

If you want a bad a$$ American Muscle/sports Car ( and you guys know it’s still a Pony Car for me) then you already know what a Camaro is and again advertising gains no sales.

Do I think it would be cool for great TV ad? Sure. I worked on the Corvette for years and in all that time we had one, and it got pulled because it showed two kids in a flying Corvette and the safety zombies went nuts. Yes, working on the car it would have been cool. But also being married the Corvette Marketing Manager gave me a very clear idea on how the car was being marketed every day by people that had more passion for the car than pretty much everyone buying the car had.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:12 PM   #180
genxer

You're a tough one to win over. That's for sure.

I haven't been in a new Mustang. But, I'm not convinced it is more than marginally more practical.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:14 PM   #181
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
The Dodge ads are meant to defuse critics of its porkiness, clearly
The original muscle cars from the 60s and 70s were plenty porky and people never did nor still do they have a problem with them. If so you wouldn’t see ‘69 Chevelle SS396s going for $140,000
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:20 PM   #182
genxer

The original muscle cars were the intermediate size cars. Not the big ones. The new Challengers critics did exist, though.