#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-17-2017, 02:08 PM   #141
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian SS View Post
It costs a significant amount of money to change the production lines to accommodate multiple transmission options, or any options for that matter. Being so limited on options is probably what keeps base cost below 70k msrp on this car.

It just doesn't make financial sense to increase manufacturing costs just so a handful of people can get an a10.
Are you kidding me? There are stacks of transmissions (either type) from which a robot can simply pick them up and place them in the install position. It's actually a fairly simple process. UNLESS the assembly process has severely regressed over time.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #142
TheShooter
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Charger Hellcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
Are you kidding me? There are stacks of transmissions (either type) from which a robot can simply pick them up and place them in the install position. It's actually a fairly simple process. UNLESS the assembly process has severely regressed over time.

LOL...you're on target.

But more importantly, based on what I'm learning, the A10 version would likely sell as well or better.

Two dealers told me they've had plenty of grumblings about it and reviews mentions it and enough people here seem to agree it should be an option. That transmission is an amazing hunk of sports car tech, but they don't offer it in the top tier machine?

Since they didn't strip out the car for every ounce and the A10 will be superior in some hardcore applications, it makes perfect sense to offer it.

Anyway...opinions mean nothing in the end. It's their car!

R.
TheShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:53 PM   #143
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter View Post

Anyway...opinions mean nothing in the end. It's their car!
Not that I want to rekindle any of this but holy f*ck, where was that thought a couple hundred posts ago?
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #144
TheShooter
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Not that I want to rekindle any of this but holy f*ck, where was that thought a couple hundred posts ago?

I don't really mean it!

R.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:05 PM   #145
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
With a max of 7,500 1LE's being manufactured, I can see where the cost/benefit quickly diminishes.

It's not only the transmission, but also the shifter, and probably a different cooler and screen on the dash. Where's the profit for all those changes, in what, a couple of thousand cars?

For what it's worth, I would most likely select the A10...if it were available.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:09 PM   #146
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
*750, not 7500. Per year.
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:24 PM   #147
JB'sZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Meh View Post
*750, not 7500. Per year.
You, sir, are correct.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:25 PM   #148
TheShooter
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
With a max of 7,500 1LE's being manufactured, I can see where the cost/benefit quickly diminishes.

It's not only the transmission, but also the shifter, and probably a different cooler and screen on the dash. Where's the profit for all those changes, in what, a couple of thousand cars?

For what it's worth, I would most likely select the A10...if it were available.

I believe they'd sell MOSTLY the A10 versions.

R.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:30 PM   #149
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
Quote:

R.
I think you severely underestimate how many people want this car in a manual.

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:32 PM   #150
JB'sZL1

Quote:

R.
Perhaps. But then you still have the retooling for the M6 vs. A10 (transmissions, shifter, paddles, screen, cooler, etc.) for at most a combined 750 1LE's. It's simple not profitable on a small scale.

I can see why they are not doing it, although it would be nice.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #151
TheShooter
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian SS View Post
I think you severely underestimate how many people want this car in a manual.

I'm just going by what dealers have told me and the folks at Chevy said. Based on that I suspect there will be an A10 version.

That's NOT to say I would not be happier with a regular ZL1 with the Aero kit.

R.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #152
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
Perhaps. But then you still have the retooling for the M6 vs. A10 (transmissions, shifter, paddles, screen, cooler, etc.) for at most a combined 750 1LE's. It's simple not profitable on a small scale.

I can see why they are not doing it, although it would be nice.
There would be absolutely no retooling (I think you misspoke as they are already tooled up for production)...it's manufacturing 101 & a simple line change up.

Lines are already set up for the regular A10...if there is enough demand & they think they can sell them, they will simply add the suspension & aero to the currently produced A10 for a small production run of cars & the buyer will pay an addy. It's not cost prohibitive if you pass it on to the consumer. If GM feels they can sell it...they will. It just won't be called a 1LE IMO.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:02 PM   #153
JB'sZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Lines are already set up for the regular A10...if there is enough demand & they think they can sell them, they will simply add the suspension & aero to the currently produced A10 for a small production run of cars & the buyer will pay an addy. It's not cost prohibitive if you pass it on to the consumer. If GM feels they can sell it...they will. It just won't be called a 1LE IMO.
But what is the additional cost for a couple of hundred? 10k? And will the consumer be so inclined to pay that amount?

At the end of the day were this a high production vehicle, it would be a no brainer for GM (to appeal to the masses). I think the low production number, the lack of a cost benefit, and that GM wanted this to be a "hardcore" track car (i.e. manual transmission) all contributed in their decision. If enough people request the A10 in the 1LE, perhaps they'll rethink their decision.

Automatics have evolved enormously in the past 5 years.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:20 PM   #154
TheShooter
Account Suspended

I have a friend at SRT and it was explained to me how the Hellcats are essentially VERY weak profit for FCA due to the cost to build them and the fairly small amount that are sold.

These high performance models are often the best advertising for a company. As it was explained to me, the Hellcat sold a HECK of a lot of 392's, Scat Packs and 5.7's.

I expect the ZL1 does the same thing. It's a big push for the less expensive models.

But everyone can relax now! I'm fairly certain I'll be ordering a regular ZL1 and adding what I need and having a good dealer handle the install. The more I learn about these cars, the more it seems like that the 1LE suspension is pretty bad for anything but a LOT of track usage.

Even though my Hellcat is a car that can get into the high 10's, it can only do that with drag radials. And getting to 60 MPH should be faster with the ZL1's rubber, so I'm certain to be pretty happy with the power. Still, it's the ZL1 handling that has me the most excited. I really don't care if it's a bit slower than a few cars. It has appropriate power to make it a balanced machine.

The Hellcat has MORE power than the tires and suspension can handle. I love it, but it's not a balanced car by any measure. As I always point out, it's a far better daily driver than anything else in its class, so I'll likely try to keep it. People just love the Hellcat and my son is worried that I'll let it go.

I think we beat this thread like a dead horse...it can die now.

Can't wait to order a ZL1!

R.