Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-17-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Can we run E20 or E30?

Will our cars run on those fuels without a flex sensor and tune and is there any benefit since the octane rating is higher then 91? I've read online but it's from other types of boosted cars but it's been 50/50 on if there's a benefit or not.
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
Gobbles

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Krypton (Inbound)
Could you, maybe, but it probably will not noticeably help.
I'm not familiar with the modeling the ECM uses, so I can't really speak to the safety of running E30 without making the ECM aware of the Ethanol levels.
The AKI of Ethanol is mainly due to it's very high RON, which is GREAT for DI Engines, but the effect of Ethanol isn't extremely pronounced unit you get into the E40 Range.
Gobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:16 PM   #3
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbles View Post
Could you, maybe, but it probably will not noticeably help.
I'm not familiar with the modeling the ECM uses, so I can't really speak to the safety of running E30 without making the ECM aware of the Ethanol levels.
The AKI of Ethanol is mainly due to it's very high RON, which is GREAT for DI Engines, but the effect of Ethanol isn't extremely pronounced unit you get into the E40 Range.

I've seen great effects using E30 on other platforms. The N54 and N55 BMW engines in particular. It supports the same boost/timing as 100 octane race fuel on an N54. Huge difference in power compared to the pump 91 octane we have out here by itself -- but this is obviously with tuning to take advantage.

I wouldn't recommend running E30 in any car without proper tuning though. On an LT4, I'd expect fuel trim codes and a lean mixture in open loop. I don't know how lean it would run, but it probably wouldn't be a good thing.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:19 PM   #4
DSX Tuning

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
You're much better off getting a flex fuel kit and a basic tune. Even if you just get a tune that turns on the sensor so the ECM can adjust the fueling...
DSX Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:55 PM   #5
Gobbles

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Krypton (Inbound)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I've seen great effects using E30 on other platforms. The N54 and N55 BMW engines in particular. It supports the same boost/timing as 100 octane race fuel on an N54. Huge difference in power compared to the pump 91 octane we have out here by itself -- but this is obviously with tuning to take advantage.

I wouldn't recommend running E30 in any car without proper tuning though. On an LT4, I'd expect fuel trim codes and a lean mixture in open loop. I don't know how lean it would run, but it probably wouldn't be a good thing.
Exactly... The tuning matters.
The biggest concern I would have with what he proposes, is extreme fuel trims, and actual net AKI may not actually increase to 93 (Depending on the actual E% of the fuel, which can be as low as 51%).

Regardless, some engines respond better to lower ethanol levels, Turbo Engines really 'like' the Enthalpy of Vaporization that ethanol brings.
My flex fuel converted 2.0T starts to respond above about 35%, and hits race fuel (100 Octane) spark advance around 40%, and is at MBT around 55%. Basically running race gas all day for $2/gallon (+30% Loss of Fuel Economy).
Gobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:55 PM   #6
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX Tuning View Post
You're much better off getting a flex fuel kit and a basic tune. Even if you just get a tune that turns on the sensor so the ECM can adjust the fueling...
Listen to this ^^^^ guy....Better yet, buy a flex fuel kit from him and let him tune your car.

Thanks for all the help in the past, Dave. I might be bugging you about some LT4 stuff soon.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote