Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 09-21-2020, 03:54 PM   #15
Dvs510

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS/1LE
Think this is the first time I’ve ever heard talk about paying to put a stock cam back in..... find someone that knows what there doing, give the motor a once over Especially if u have already found loose bolts. Then Have them check how far out of whack the stock tune is for whatever is still in the car. Either way, one of the first things I would do is get it hooked up to a program and see what’s goin on and eliminate all the guess work
Old 09-22-2020, 07:18 AM   #16
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
The information is out there just search it. You can not delete AFM mechanically without swapping the cam to a non AFM cam. It has been this way since the GEN 4 LS days. Here is one link with some info. https://lt1swap.com/afm_delete.htm

What you "might" be able to do is purchase a LT5 OEM camshaft from scoggin dickey since it is NON AFM and run that in a LT1 with 16 standard hydraulic lifters. The LT5 cam is similar in specs to the LT1 cam minus the AFM.

https://sdparts.com/i-24136024-genui...MaAoZ3EALw_wcB
I guess my question is that since the Manual Transmission cars do not use AFM, (granted the AFM lifters are there) is the stock cam in the manual trans car different from the one in the auto trans car?

Also, wouldn't the stock ECM tune for a manual trans car come from the factory without AFM? Seeing how the M6 cars do not use it?

If the camshaft is indeed different, as in different part # from the cam in the auto trans car, I would think that non-afm lifters would work.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:43 AM   #17
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
I guess my question is that since the Manual Transmission cars do not use AFM, (granted the AFM lifters are there) is the stock cam in the manual trans car different from the one in the auto trans car?

Also, wouldn't the stock ECM tune for a manual trans car come from the factory without AFM? Seeing how the M6 cars do not use it?

If the camshaft is indeed different, as in different part # from the cam in the auto trans car, I would think that non-afm lifters would work.
The A8/M6 engines are identical down to the camshaft. No you can not run AFM lifters on a Non AFM cam or vice versa as I mentioned previously. On a AFM cam 8 of the lobes are different to account for the longer AFM lifter. Could you run different length pushrods on those lobes and run regular lifters...maybe? However, If that was the case why did all the guys with L99 engines swap to a LS3 cam when they deleted DOD and why did all of the 5.3 guys swap cams when deleting DOD?

The M6 cars simply have AFM turned off in the ECU. It is no different then going into the ECU on a A8 and turning it off.

If somebody needs a better explanation on why you have to change the AFM cam out to delete AFM/DOD perhaps it would be best to call somebody like RPM, Vengeance racing, Lingenfelter, or Jenetty racing...I am sure they can explain this in greater detail if need be.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA

Last edited by KingLT1; 09-22-2020 at 11:15 AM.
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:20 AM   #18
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
KingLT1: Thanks for the bad news. Makes my lifter upgrade more challenging!
Old 09-22-2020, 08:53 PM   #19
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
The A8/M6 engines are identical down to the camshaft. No you can not run AFM lifters on a Non AFM cam or vice versa as I mentioned previously. On a AFM cam 8 of the lobes are different to account for the longer AFM lifter. Could you run different length pushrods on those lobes and run regular lifters...maybe? However, If that was the case why did all the guys with L99 engines swap to a LS3 cam when they deleted DOD and why did all of the 5.3 guys swap cams when deleting DOD?

The M6 cars simply have AFM turned off in the ECU. It is no different then going into the ECU on a A8 and turning it off.

If somebody needs a better explanation on why you have to change the AFM cam out to delete AFM/DOD perhaps it would be best to call somebody like RPM, Vengeance racing, Lingenfelter, or Jenetty racing...I am sure they can explain this in greater detail if need be.
I gotcha, makes sense. My 2011 was a manual and so is my '18, so DOD has never really been on my radar of concern.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:19 AM   #20
bobbb

Drives: '18 SS M6
Just an update for anyone following - found someone with HP tuners access to make me a tune for the current setup.
Got the idle back to stock as close as possible, still get an P0011 error sometimes, not sure why, no drivability issues. So he just switched it off on HP...
bobbb is offline   Reply With Quote