Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-08-2021, 01:53 PM   #43
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
I disagree. Two factors - first and most important is this will be the last of a breed of V8 sports coupes before the EV's take over. That alone is going to really boost values of these cars in 10-15-20 years.

But even just take a look at 30 year old Camaros and Mustangs and similar cars and what they are selling for with low miles.

Case in point - a mid 80's Monte SS sold for $32K last month on BAT.

An 1100 mile 1991 1LE bid to $25K but didn't quite hit reserve. That's $8K over MSRP on that car back in 1991.

a 2001 Z28 with 5K miles sold for $17K on BaT

85 IROC with 2500 miles was bid to $20K and didn't hit reserve

'99 SS with 2700 miles sold for $29,500

'92 1LE sold for $45K

'87 Iroc sold for $25K

'91 Z28 sold for $14K

6K mile '96 Impala SS sold for $21,500

That was just January....

So - not buying your argument that these cars will not be worth something in 20 years. These cars from the '80's and '90's selling now are terrible cars compared to the current crop of performance cars and look what they are doing. Imagine adding in the element of no more gas powered performance vehicles available new from MFGs within 10-15 years from now and let's see where these things end up. I am rather bullish...
While there's a lot of good supporting details in what you've written, the specific focus of the question was "in 10 years." So, pare down the supporting data to ONLY cars produced in 2010 when the Gen 5 came into being as a reference...

ANY car with low miles that is kept in excellent condition will have appreciable value 30, 40, or more years down the road. Maybe not 10x what it sold for new....
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 01:55 PM   #44
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
I disagree. Two factors - first and most important is this will be the last of a breed of V8 sports coupes before the EV's take over. That alone is going to really boost values of these cars in 10-15-20 years.

But even just take a look at 30 year old Camaros and Mustangs and similar cars and what they are selling for with low miles.

Case in point - a mid 80's Monte SS sold for $32K last month on BAT.

An 1100 mile 1991 1LE bid to $25K but didn't quite hit reserve. That's $8K over MSRP on that car back in 1991.

a 2001 Z28 with 5K miles sold for $17K on BaT

85 IROC with 2500 miles was bid to $20K and didn't hit reserve

'99 SS with 2700 miles sold for $29,500

'92 1LE sold for $45K

'87 Iroc sold for $25K

'91 Z28 sold for $14K

6K mile '96 Impala SS sold for $21,500

That was just January....

So - not buying your argument that these cars will not be worth something in 20 years. These cars from the '80's and '90's selling now are terrible cars compared to the current crop of performance cars and look what they are doing. Imagine adding in the element of no more gas powered performance vehicles available new from MFGs within 10-15 years from now and let's see where these things end up. I am rather bullish...
Adjust those prices for the inflation and you will see that it's not worth it.

You can't compare 2020 dollars and 1996 dollars without accounting for inflation. I think 30+k back then is like 50+k nowadays when adjusted for inflation. I think most of these cars you mentioned are probably breaking even at best.

As said in the reply above, buy some stocks if you want to invest. Or crypto. Just anything but a car unless you are flipping them(which is a short-term activity).

Let me show you an example, with the 92 1LE:

$45k in today is about $22k in 1992. From what I have looked up, a 1992 1LE sold for at least $20k back then. So yeah, you made more US dollars, but the value stayed around the same at the very best. And you probably have to keep it in mint condition for that to work.

May as well put that money in the savings account of the bank and the interest would more or less have done the same thing.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:18 PM   #45
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Adjust those prices for the inflation and you will see that it's not worth it.

You can't compare 2020 dollars and 1996 dollars without accounting for inflation. I think 30+k back then is like 50+k nowadays when adjusted for inflation. I think most of these cars you mentioned are probably breaking even at best.

As said in the reply above, buy some stocks if you want to invest. Or crypto. Just anything but a car unless you are flipping them(which is a short-term activity).

Let me show you an example, with the 92 1LE:

$45k in today is about $22k in 1992. From what I have looked up, a 1992 1LE sold for at least $20k back then. So yeah, you made more US dollars, but the value stayed around the same at the very best. And you probably have to keep it in mint condition for that to work.

May as well put that money in the savings account of the bank and the interest would more or less have done the same thing.

You also have to account for maintenance costs. Sure they're significantly lower than if you regularly drive it, but they still exist. Even if it just sits there in a garage, under a cover, maybe something else isn't able to be there and has to sit outside and depreciates faster because it's not in as good of condition. You move, you have to transport it. Something happens and you have to sell near the bottom of it's depreciation curve, you've suddenly lost a load of money. Any number of other costs, and most likely at best, you're still only breaking even.

None of us are into cars because it makes money, in fact it's closer to a cash fire

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:00 PM   #46
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
Just my two cents here....
The meticulous care most Camaro owners take of their cars will help them remain an easy sale.
The market for them is well established but could be effected by the anti fossil fuels crowd taking control of things. These things usually are cyclical. But this does feel different.
I took fanatical care of my GMC 2500 HD. A 2007 New body. As a result when I put it up for sale it sold quickly. A couple small dots of rust on the rear fender. Good finish on the paint. I did not off road it aggressively or beat up the bed. I got top dollar in a short time frame.
Because a well maintained 4X4 pick up truck will always have value as a work truck. Or for a young guy looking for something affordable thats not a POS or an ugly toaster on wheels.
For similar reasons I think a Camaro will be an easy sale. The higher HP or special options lead the way.
Im not describing an investment here. Theres too many of them out there. Im just saying vehicles that people are passionate about when new will have value when they are old.
If you buy a Hyundai to get to work because its affordable... It wont be worth jack when you sell it in 10 years. Or a Taurus. Or any one of 95% of the cars on the market today. They are mostly different uninspired bodies dropped on the same uninspiring chassis.
A car mag I read once described a certain car as... " a great car for people who hate cars"... and there you have it.
A good clean well maintained one owner Camaro SS in ten years will retain more equity than a good clean well maintained Camry in my opinion. Not based on durability or actual quality. Just based on desirability.
The difference is the market will be smaller... but more enthusiastic.
OK maybe 4 cents.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:11 PM   #47
mikec3104

Drives: 2020 LT1
Well said Mr.'s 2SS. What you describe has been what I've experienced.
mikec3104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:56 AM   #48
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
A V8 muscle car will always have and hold it's value the best. Even "classics", look at the difference a V8 Camaro or Mustang gets versus a 6 or 4 cylinder. I loved my 6 cylinder Camaro and choose to sell it while I could still get good money for it- and I wanted a V8 manual and at some point the V6 value would just tank. I just ended up with a C6 Corvette instead- the deal was too good to pass up.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:56 AM   #49
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
LOL
Old 02-09-2021, 12:29 PM   #50
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP of all modern of Modern Camaros only the 2014-15 Z/28s are possible collector cars. And as of yet they are only going for mid $40sK. New they were mid $70sK. I think if you, can find a nice one with low miles for that price I do not see how you can go wrong.

The value of all of the other modern Camaros tank fast.

A year ago I sold my loaded A10 2018 $70K+ MSRP ZL1 with 8K miles for $51K. And I was lucky to get that.

Modern Camaros were meant to drive hard and put away wet. Have fun with it and drive it.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:24 PM   #51
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
You also have to account for maintenance costs. Sure they're significantly lower than if you regularly drive it, but they still exist. Even if it just sits there in a garage, under a cover, maybe something else isn't able to be there and has to sit outside and depreciates faster because it's not in as good of condition. You move, you have to transport it. Something happens and you have to sell near the bottom of it's depreciation curve, you've suddenly lost a load of money. Any number of other costs, and most likely at best, you're still only breaking even.

None of us are into cars because it makes money, in fact it's closer to a cash fire
Very good point. The last bit nailed it.

Just drive the car and enjoy it. Who knows how much longer we can drive these cars freely. If you feel like looking at a mint example, go to a museum.

Past:
Old 02-09-2021, 01:26 PM   #52
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
The prices now of used cars is not normal and is likely driven by COVID & production. I would not count on the used market staying this high long term.

Reference MotorTrend's long term test of a 2016 Camaro SS:
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...eview-verdict/

"Assuming 3 years and 42,000 miles total, Intellchoice projected our car's value ($46,080 as-tested) would depreciate to $23,300 (trade-in) or $25,400 (private sale). Ouch. You really have to drive it like a grandma and decide to keep a 2016 Camaro SS a long time for it to make financial sense."

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:38 PM   #53
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I worked with a guy that used multiple connections and got Roger Smith's approval to get the 750,000 Corvette. White with red interior and a manual transmission (required a build and hold as it wasn't ready yet). Even got special permission from the Secretary of State for an all numbers license plate, 750000. Kept it in a safe place and left all the pre delivery wrappers on it. Never drove it. Had grand plans to pay for his kids college with the proceeds. Never happened. Don't know his final number, and I think he made money on the deal but it did not pay for anyone's college.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:00 PM   #54
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I worked with a guy that used multiple connections and got Roger Smith's approval to get the 750,000 Corvette. White with red interior and a manual transmission (required a build and hold as it wasn't ready yet). Even got special permission from the Secretary of State for an all numbers license plate, 750000. Kept it in a safe place and left all the pre delivery wrappers on it. Never drove it. Had grand plans to pay for his kids college with the proceeds. Never happened. Don't know his final number, and I think he made money on the deal but it did not pay for anyone's college.
This one?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

Past:
Old 02-09-2021, 04:12 PM   #55
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
This one?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

That's the one.