Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 05-17-2022, 03:51 AM   #1
Level954

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Car Cover Effectiveness?

Made the devision to buy my dream car (5th or 6th gen camaro ss, clearly )

I live in South Florida. This is going to be a sunday funday car, a saturday night delight when I need to feed my chaotic side.

Since it wont be my daily driver I will be able to keep it pretty clean and with low mileage. Does anyone use a car cover? Does it protect your car from the elements if maintained regularly? Should I set my dream off a few months and get a garage first?

I really appreciate any feedback and I am truly hoping that a car cover will suffice because I am obsessed with getting my dream car. Thanks!
Level954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:01 AM   #2
jp6

Drives: '22 2SS Camaro Convertible 6MT NPP
Car covers definitely work, but they can also hold moisture in or scratch up your car anyways if it gets dirty, if you're too rough with it, if there's a ton of wind, or anything like that.

I always say to people that you should get the car you want and will make you happy. If the right opportunity comes up, do it! But whether or not you can deal with the potential consequences can only be up to you. I had a neighbor who kept a black 5th gen camaro zl1 outside under a car cover for years, and they loved it and enjoyed it. Good luck

03/04/2022 | Spotted in-transit 2SS Vert 6MT NPP on Chevy website
03/30/2022 | Took delivery from dealer
jp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:38 PM   #3
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Car covers are best for keeping dust off show cars, indoors.

Outdoors, wind will blow and any dirt on the car could scratch the paint. Rodents love tarp cover. The cover will get weather beaten and look terrible.

Do you have room for a ShelterLogic Auto Shelter? That's what my son and I both use.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:46 PM   #4
discgolf01

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Convertible M6
I have a 2000 Camaro (original owner!) that I keep outside with a cover on. It gets windy here in the afternoon and the cover flutters around. The paint on the car (22 years old!) is actually still in pretty good shape, but I have always said if I get a house with a 3 car garage, I am getting it repainted. And its black.

Having said that, I feel a cover is still best for UV protection, both inside plastics and the outside paint to prevent sun fade and cracking. I'm sure paint and plastics have come a long way in 22 years (my 6th gen is always garaged, so I don't have a reference point).
discgolf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:01 PM   #5
Level954

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Thanks for all of the replies. Definitely going to go for it and use one.
Level954 is offline   Reply With Quote