Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 08-15-2019, 04:45 PM   #1
JBinSD

Drives: '23 LT Vert M6'16 Hyper 2SS Vert MT
TireRack "certified Installer" destroyed my rim

Bought GY SC F1's from Tire Rack, shipped next day to a "certified installer" local to me. So far, so good, but. . .

The shop called an hour after I dropped off car, and said their "best guy" had an accident with my rim. He didn't want to go forward with them, and I didn't either. I'm about to take them to Discount Tire down the street, I know they could be just as bad, but I've had good luck with them in the past.

Frustrating day.
Attached Images

JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:55 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
damn no bueno what shop? and they gonna order you a new wheel? i go to discount all the time even with my custom powdercoated hre flowform wheels and never had any issues
Old 08-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #3
Tazz3069

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Discount did my tires. I told them how much my rims cost and they did a perfect job on the install. I have aftermarket rims.

2016 Camaro 2SS "Black Widow"
Tazz3069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Same thing happened to me at GoodYear last month.

After I filled out their survey... they purchased a 1k new wheel.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:51 PM   #5
Paulie-G

Drives: 2SS 1LE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazz3069 View Post
Discount did my tires. I told them how much my rims cost and they did a perfect job on the install. I have aftermarket rims.

Discount damaged all 4 of my forged wheels.
I had the mgr. look over each wheel before the install as well. Wheels were new in the box.

First time in my life I actually started yelling at someone in a crowded area like that.
"All you do is tires, you don't even do brakes or alignments"
Dude just stood there looking lost. People were bailing out the exits.

I was mad at myself for loosing so bad.
Paulie-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:05 PM   #6
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie-G View Post
Discount damaged all 4 of my forged wheels.
I had the mgr. look over each wheel before the install as well. Wheels were new in the box.

First time in my life I actually started yelling at someone in a crowded area like that.
"All you do is tires, you don't even do brakes or alignments"
Dude just stood there looking lost. People were bailing out the exits.

I was mad at myself for loosing so bad.

lol i can totally see somebody doing that haha i would to what wheels?
Old 08-15-2019, 07:37 PM   #7
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
I've had wheels damaged at just about every major tire place there is. Discount ruined one on my 2009 G8 GXP. That wheels cost them a pretty penny, it was almost $1600 to replace that wheel.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:54 PM   #8
5senna5

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinSD View Post
Bought GY SC F1's from Tire Rack, shipped next day to a "certified installer" local to me. So far, so good, but. . .

The shop called an hour after I dropped off car, and said their "best guy" had an accident with my rim. He didn't want to go forward with them, and I didn't either. I'm about to take them to Discount Tire down the street, I know they could be just as bad, but I've had good luck with them in the past.

Frustrating day.
It’s more individual installer than shop issue but of course this can happen anywhere. Discount / volume tire stores are NOT who you want working on your wheels. Take them to a Porsche dealership. I used to work at one and we were automatically & clinically obsessive with tire replacement due to the outrageously anal customer base we served. Camaro wheels and tires will be a cinch for any competent Porsche store. Hint...if any place has “Discount” “Bargain” “House of..” “Barn” or any other such poverty connotations in its name...prob not who you want working on your fancy Camaro wheels. It’s kind of like smacking a McDonalds worker around for not building a delicious burger that looks just like their ad. You get what you pay for, tire store guys are bottom of the technician food chain and maybe make $12-15 per hour (non flat-rate) as apposed to a Porsche tech ($80-120k per year). You might pay a bit more to have it done, but not commensurate to the quality of work difference...

Just saw you’re in Carlsbad, a good buddy of mine moved out there years ago to work as a Master Tech for Hoehn Porsche, gorgeous store and top notch service.

Last edited by 5senna5; 08-15-2019 at 08:11 PM.
5senna5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:04 PM   #9
JBinSD

Drives: '23 LT Vert M6'16 Hyper 2SS Vert MT
Firestone Total Care in Oside/Vista. To their credit, they are representing they will "make it right" for me. Will have to see, I guess. . . Manager is out til Monday. I'm still at discount waiting for the remount that costs twice as much on the wrecked rim that will need to be replaceed. Yay me.
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:27 PM   #10
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Shitty equipment, poorly trained staff.

I take mine to specialty shop, pay about the same, get better quality work.

There are shops w touchless equipment, but few and far between, most have bare bones, cheap cheap coats or snap-on machines that were really made for steel wheels and not nicely finished alloys which require HIGHER clamp pressure to functional properly.

You can filter that in tire rack for shops w better equipment - just have to know what to look for. Shops w better equipment, typically offer road force balancing!!

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:36 PM   #11
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Shitty equipment, poorly trained staff.

I take mine to specialty shop, pay about the same, get better quality work.

There are shops w touchless equipment, but few and far between, most have bare bones, cheap cheap coats or snap-on machines that were really made for steel wheels and not nicely finished alloys which require HIGHER clamp pressure to functional properly.

You can filter that in tire rack for shops w better equipment - just have to know what to look for. Shops w better equipment, typically offer road force balancing!!

Every shop I have been in lately has the newest COATS or Hunter wheel machines in them. All of them....

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD

Last edited by TJay74; 08-16-2019 at 09:43 PM.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:57 PM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
The Hunter machine they used on my wheel was top of the line with video and all.

You can't make up for poorly trained staff.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:13 AM   #13
camaroJD

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel 1SS 1LE w/ PDR
I guess you'll be getting a brand new wheel!

I took mine to a local Belle Tire (MI/OH/IN tire chain) and spoke to the manager to get a feel for the shop before I agreed to use them. I took tons of pics before I went in and then at the shop with the manager and made sure it was noted the wheels were in perfect condition. The manager also made sure the most experienced guy was there to do the install. I had a great experience and a price on my PS4S that couldn't be beat.

My advice is to spend a little time talking to the shop and make sure you get a good feel before you trust them.
camaroJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:19 AM   #14
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
When I had my summers installed I specifically said be careful with my wheels, as if that get's me anywhere, it did, but I still expect a nick here or there, it's the nature of me swapping tires twice per year. it's going to happen. but that as shown is ridiculous but that fix/replace then it should all be good.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote