Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-12-2019, 08:52 PM   #29
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
First off great information especially concerning the Helmet. I really do appreciate it. Unfortunately I spoke too soon and the event is sold out very disappointing. But I’ll use this to prep for a possible session this year if not beginning of the season next year.

Most tracks will be running events through October. Don't wait. Do it.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:53 PM   #30
HouseStark

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Since we are on the subject of track days. Is it possible through aftermarket or OEM to fit ZL1 1LE wheel dimension and tires on my SS 1LE?
HouseStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:54 PM   #31
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
Most tracks will be running events through October. Don't wait. Do it.
Really that late? Then I’ll keep the search going.

I unfortunately don’t have PDR are there aftermarket options?
Old 08-12-2019, 09:37 PM   #32
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Quote:
Really that late? Then I’ll keep the search going.

I unfortunately don’t have PDR are there aftermarket options?

The TrackAddict app is good with a decent cell phone mount. If you want hi-def, then add a GoPro. If it is your first time, then a GoPro without telemetry should be fine. You aren't going to be doing turn-by-turn analysis.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:38 PM   #33
Bluebarchetta

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
I was given some great direction by members of NASA and the director of the Great Lakes Region himself but it leaves me wondering if it worth it. Looking at the schedule the only track nearest me is Mid-Ohio. The driver HPDE class I would be, levels 1-2, are not offered at Mid-Ohio the rest of the year but at Gingerman or Pitt International.

Is the 6 hour drive worth the day? It looks like it will cost 450 which I'm ok with but does anyone know how much seat time you really get with these events? It's proving so much more difficult to get on a road course then a drag strip. I understand why it's harder, namely all the staff needed, but still there's maybe one event a month I can actually attend.

Sorry I didn’t see this earlier. I’m in the Cleveland area also, and race with NASA. As way of explanation, the National championships are at Mid Ohio in September, so unfortunately they eliminated HPDE 1-2 in anticipation of the large influx of racers “practicing” at the August event. This is a very unusual occurrence as otherwise there would always be HPDE 1-4 available. Too late now, but there were April and June mid Ohio events will all HPDE groups available.

Anyway, do not hesitate to go to Pitt Race, it’s closer than you think and way better track/facilities than Nelson’s. Also, there is a nasa weekend at Corvette Museum Track in October. It’s a long way, but another good track. Generally, you can expect 4, 20-30 minute on track sessions, and as many classroom sessions in HPDE 1 with NASA. I highly recommend the program, and the quality of the instruction in the Great Lakes region.

I would be happy to have you paddock with us, if you decide to attend an event. I can help you with questions about how things work/flow.

Lastly, if youre looking for someone to drive with besides nasa, in the past I have done PCA events and been happy there also.
Bluebarchetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:50 AM   #34
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
The TrackAddict app is good with a decent cell phone mount. If you want hi-def, then add a GoPro. If it is your first time, then a GoPro without telemetry should be fine. You aren't going to be doing turn-by-turn analysis.
Thank you I appreciate that I’ll look into the Go Pro
Old 08-13-2019, 07:55 AM   #35
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebarchetta View Post
Sorry I didn’t see this earlier. I’m in the Cleveland area also, and race with NASA. As way of explanation, the National championships are at Mid Ohio in September, so unfortunately they eliminated HPDE 1-2 in anticipation of the large influx of racers “practicing” at the August event. This is a very unusual occurrence as otherwise there would always be HPDE 1-4 available. Too late now, but there were April and June mid Ohio events will all HPDE groups available.

Anyway, do not hesitate to go to Pitt Race, it’s closer than you think and way better track/facilities than Nelson’s. Also, there is a nasa weekend at Corvette Museum Track in October. It’s a long way, but another good track. Generally, you can expect 4, 20-30 minute on track sessions, and as many classroom sessions in HPDE 1 with NASA. I highly recommend the program, and the quality of the instruction in the Great Lakes region.

I would be happy to have you paddock with us, if you decide to attend an event. I can help you with questions about how things work/flow.

Lastly, if youre looking for someone to drive with besides nasa, in the past I have done PCA events and been happy there also.
That’s great information and I appreciate your generosity. If I can make it out this year I’ll definitely let know as I was very interested in hearing from people in my region to see how NASA is in Great Lakes. I’ll be looking into Pittsburg then it’s only maybe 2.5 hours from me. What is PCA it’s been mentioned before but didn’t take a deep dive into it.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #36
Tim M

Most clubs offer loaner helmets (possibly for a small fee) if you want to try it out with large initial outlay.

I'd delay modifying your car - folks will expect you to perform better. ;-)

Have fun!
Old 08-13-2019, 02:26 PM   #37
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Most clubs offer loaner helmets (possibly for a small fee) if you want to try it out with large initial outlay.

Have fun!

If you want a good entry level helmet check out black armor i got mine from guys below

windingroadracing.com

https://store.windingroad.com/black-...ive-p1992.aspx
Old 08-14-2019, 06:59 AM   #38
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Beyond the items and suggestions listed by TrackClub, agreed.

House - I feel the more important reason to delay modifications is so you get started out tracking your car fully accustomed to the way it drives and feels. Don't add relearning the car - on the fly - to all the new stuff that's going to be coming at you.

Quote:
Have fun!
Never lose sight of that.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-14-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:07 AM   #39
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Do you have a local SCCA for Auto cross on the weekends? If so do they offer a High Performance Driving School once a year? I have been to a local one 2 times and learn something new every time and it is only $50 a weekend. Good luck and have fun
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:51 PM   #40
Jimbeau11

Drives: '18 Black SS 1LE; '01 Corvette Z06
I routinely drive 3-7 hours for HPDE events, but they need to be 2-3 day events to make it worth it in my opinion.

Highly recommend PCA HPDE events as have others. As mentioned very professional and most importantly high focus on safety. Also, pretty solid instructor corps including many current club-racers (there are exceptions with any group of course).

I have experienced some trade-offs with events that included events, like races, TT,etc, in addition to HPDE. The races and TT take priority and often HPDE sessions get hit to make up time lost due to cleanup following crashes. Entry fees are significantly higher for the racers and many of organizations are primarily racing focused so this makes total sense. I prefer to go to events where the only focus is HPDE.

Many new HPDE drivers are in a rush to drive solo, and increasingly it seems certain organizations are allowing Novice drivers to attend with little or no in-car instruction. I can tell you from multiple experiences that this often creates a situation where someone has driven "multiple events", but has no real clue how to correctly drive their car on a race track. I realize this type event is tempting but I would advise you to seek out an organization that has quality in-car instruction.

Even after you've gained experience, cultivate a growth mindset and continue to seek instruction. I've been an instructor for 10 years but I'm always looking to get someone who's better than me in my car.
Jimbeau11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:48 AM   #41
HouseStark

Quote:

Have fun!
Haha you make a very good point they will. I'll check about the helmets
Old 08-15-2019, 07:49 AM   #42
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Beyond the items and suggestions listed by TrackClub, agreed.

House - I feel the more important reason to delay modifications is so you get started out tracking your car fully accustomed to the way it drives and feels. Don't add relearning the car - on the fly - to all the new stuff that's going to be coming at you.

Never lose sight of that.

Norm
Very good points thank you sir!