Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-24-2019, 04:14 PM   #141
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank237 View Post
Visit the Corvette forums...There are are a thousand guys with DEPOSITS down, some of them not refundable....on a car most haven't even SEEN, much less sat in and tried out for size. These same guys don't even know what the ACTUAL PRICING will be either.

NO ONE is moving to the Camaro because of the C8, it's going to be the opposite. I'm already plotting on how to get out of my 1SS and get a C-8 come next Spring/Summer. The car is an absolute game changer.
Interesting. The reservation system specifically states that the deposits are refundable but I could see some dealers trying to make it non-refundable.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:02 PM   #142
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
seems to me it would have to be refundable at this stage since pricing isn't even known. Once you place an order for a specific car at a specific price - that may be another matter, but even then you can get out of the deal if needed before the car is delivered.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:04 PM   #143
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Thanks gang...I've held out a while to reply & figured the comments I mentioned regarding vette purists not wanting a mid was negligible. Remember the initial issue making me scratch my head aren't coming from car forums, so I stand by my initial thoughts that those throwing their $0.02 were simply not in the loop to expect a mid engine vette. After pages nobody commented anything negative on the C8 not being the traditional front engine & took several different turns & do appreciate all the various feedback.

Like a few that also posted, I tried to like the Z06 when I was looking to buy & the vette just isn't for me & felt cramped / coffin like & prefer the ZL1 along with extra cargo (which seems to be a consideration for many)...the seats are superficial & stay folded in my Z. I have a company truck I live in all week & the last thing I want to do is run errands in it after driving 300-400 miles a day when I get home. My side biz is a FFL & I can fit several packaged long guns which I most certainly wasn't expecting when I brought her home. Not that it would be an item I would be looking for if deciding between the two, it is nice to have for sure.

Guess I could go on, but bottom line is I'm still perplexed exactly what & how the C8 will affect Camaro sales...while totally subjective, I still feel the ZL1 has superior eye appeal to the C8 & looks like a mean American machine as did the C7. The C8 is most certainly handsome with great lines but like stated is no longer vette looking and has a european vibe. Not that it's bad, just different that will take some getting used to. Cannot wait to see Z06 & ZR1 packages!!

Like Trump reiterates over & over...'we'll see what happens'. I truly Hope there is a place for both & GM addresses their failure of marketing our flavor.

Would love to hang out with JL for a day!!

Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:30 PM   #144
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
When I look at the C8 all I see is Corvette. A perfect transition IMO.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:33 PM   #145
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Yeah I actually found an article, think Road & Track, with the LT2 specs, says AFM...Damn! Guess Range will be needed again!
Not necessarily. Big issue was grounding of the exhaust. I think the Gen5 had 4 or 5 flex couplings. The C8 with he engine in the rear may not have the same issue. My LaCrosse and Mrs. Number 3’s XT4 both have AFM and it’s invisible.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:24 AM   #146
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
im selling my camaro to get a C8 2LT Z51
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #147
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I think I would by the base. I'm not sure if Z51 would add much outside of a road race. We know
1) stiffer suspension (I'm sure stock base is pretty stiff)
2) can add mag ride... can't afford it
3) bigger brakes... I'm sure the stock brakes on a street car will NEVER have any issues
4) different gear ratio... OK. is that a "good" or "bad" thing on a street car. I would suspect they are closer on a Z51... which does not make the Vette faster in a street fight.
5) some sort of optional exhaust, that adds some sort of maybe HP.. OK, I'm sure the stock one will be fine, and the aftermarket ones will be WAY better.
6) better tires (no rim size change).. I can always buy better wheels and tires, then use the stock base tires over the mild winters (summer tires suck even in Texas over the winter)
7)Did I mention that I could swing "below" 60K maybe even 57 K with my GM credit card. So I basically can't won't afford a Z51, it is a bridge too far, that would add little to my driving and street fighting.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:46 PM   #148
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
I've heard rumors that "below $60k" may actually be $55,800". If that is true, you could get a base plus Z51 for probably just a tick over $60k. The Z51 will be quicker to 60 mph than without, so either gears or something in the suspension or tires makes it get off the line quicker.
Wow even better for the Camaro buyer. IMO a quicker 0-60 is mainly and maybe even mostly due to the better tire, all seasons 305s (really not that huge for a mid engine car), ain't know to hook...
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:19 PM   #149
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
it should hook better than a camaro with the engine in that location...why would you buy an SS when you could get a base vette for less than 10k more?
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:15 PM   #150
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
it should hook better than a camaro with the engine in that location...why would you buy an SS when you could get a base vette for less than 10k more?
to have MRC, blind spot monitoring, HUD, and all the other premium features that you can't get on a base model Corvette.

you have to remember, the same reason Canaro sales tanked, most drivers aren't solely focused on performance stats.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:44 PM   #151
Jonster

Drives: 18 2SS Vert Hotwheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
to have MRC, blind spot monitoring, HUD, and all the other premium features that you can't get on a base model Corvette.

you have to remember, the same reason Canaro sales tanked, most drivers aren't solely focused on performance stats.
This.

I'm still looking, but shopping for a fully loaded 2ss with MRC, dual exhaust, auto trans, and couple other minor packages/appearance stuff and it will still be under ~45k out the door.

A base model vet will be stripped down so much that i'm not sure if I'd want to spend 10-15k more. I'd consider a 2LT with some options, but that price goes up quickly im sure to the 70+ range.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:34 PM   #152
49North1LE

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE G7C,
Seriously, ah let me see...NO.
49North1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:30 AM   #153
Joegovette

Drives: 2018 Camaro Vert Redline Edition
I am fortunate to have both a 2018 SS Camaro red line edition vert as well as a 2015 Corvette Z51 vert. I bought the Camaro for kid hauling, but it doesn't do a very good job. They fit back there without a whole lot of room. I am going to sell the Camaro, and buy the new C8. I like my Camaro, but I love my Corvette. I am just waiting for the 1st year bugs to be worked out.
Joegovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:18 AM   #154
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
$10k is a lot of $$$$ to folks & will always be a deal killer for many buyers...it's a similar gap from the ss to the zl1 that is a deciding factor currently.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote