Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-01-2019, 02:03 AM   #1
oneplustwo

Drives: 2018 Torch Red SS 1LE with Whipple
Whipple supercharger on SS 1LE for track duty

Anyone have any references or direct experience with a whipple supercharger on an otherwise stock SS 1LE for track duty? I'm considering the upgrade and wanted to see if it basically made it behave similar to a ZL1 or if there were pros/cons to weigh in whether or not to pull the trigger.
oneplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:22 PM   #2
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
If I was just to give my opinion I would guess the car would overheat pretty quickly
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:05 AM   #3
Kairles

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
How does Whipple's intercooler/heat exchanger compare to a stock ZL1?
Kairles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:06 AM   #4
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
I don't think that slapping a blower on your 1LE will make it into a ZL1. Yes you can make the same hp, but the car won't be set up for the supercharger overall in the same way that the ZL1 is.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #5
oneplustwo

I've read a number of variations on first hand experiences but nothing definitive per se. Some have said they don't notice any difference in handling and although there may be some power loss due to the tune pulling out timing, they don't notice it on track per se. Could be they're just not very skilled drivers. (Not that I'm all that skilled myself... 1:51 at Sonoma bone stock.) What I haven't seen is that it just goes into limp mode or otherwise has reliability issues which is what I was more worried about.

I'm likely to just go for it. The standard tune and boost is pretty conservative and it's not like I track it more than 6 or 8 times a year. And of course, I like to tinker so there's some intrinsic value in having a project for me to turn wrenches on too.

I'll post my impressions here when it's done.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:15 AM   #6
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I put a Whipple on my otherwise stock SS 1LE last year.

I went out on NJMP (Lightning - fast track, high average speed) in July, it was hot and humid, and the car was getting hot - after about 15 minutes I was seeing oil temps of 290 and coolant temps of 270.

I added an oil cooler, but didn't get back on track until early November at VIR. It was a lot cooler, so hard to really say, but temps were much better. Oil didn't go over 270 and coolant didn't go over 250 in 20 minute sessions.

My last session at VIR I got a misfire, and drove it home. I figured I'd either melted the cats or ran out of fuel. I took it up to Ted Jannetty this Spring and the first thing they did was send me a picture of the clogged cats. I was running the canned Whipple tune.

Now it's no longer stock plus Whipple - Roto-Fab Big Gulp, LT5 TB, 2" Kooks with and without cats, LT4 HPFP and injectors, and tuned by Jannetty. We'll be running Nelson Ledges 4/27 and 4/28, Blackhawk Farms on 5/2, and One Lap starts on Saturday 5/4.

My takeaways would be to use the canned Whipple tune to just go to a tuner and get a real tune done. The throttle mapping of the Whipple tune makes driveability suffer, as it gives you big tip-in to feel fast, but it makes it harder to put power down coming off a corner.

The power is intoxicating.

2017 1SS 1LE - 663 whp/623 wtq
Rotofab/Whipple/Kooks 2"/LT5 TB/LT4 Fueling/E85/MCS Coilovers/Ground Control/GOODAero/Apex Wheels/Race Louvers
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:12 PM   #7
oneplustwo

Now that’s the kind of info that I was looking for! Sonoma isn’t that fast or that hot relatively speaking. So that helps. Your insight on the tune with respect to tip in is super helpful too.

Which oil cooler did you use? Did it replace the stock one or its in addition to it?
Any other mods you would recommend primarily for reliability and cooling? I don’t need more power and want to keep it california smog legal.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:41 PM   #8
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Ted is the man, I am waiting on my LT4 parts from him now so he can fix my Procharged D1SC setup.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #9
Chris V

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplustwo View Post
Now that’s the kind of info that I was looking for! Sonoma isn’t that fast or that hot relatively speaking. So that helps. Your insight on the tune with respect to tip in is super helpful too.

Which oil cooler did you use? Did it replace the stock one or its in addition to it?
Any other mods you would recommend primarily for reliability and cooling? I don’t need more power and want to keep it california smog legal.
I did a Mishimoto in addition to stock. I also just did the Driveway Labs hood vent for cooling and aero purposes.

Rotofab/Whipple/Kooks 2"/LT5 TB/LT4 Fueling/E85/MCS Coilovers/Ground Control/GOODAero/Apex Wheels/Race Louvers
Old 04-03-2019, 10:44 AM   #10
oneplustwo

Cool. It looked like the mishimoto might interfere with intercooler mounting and plumbing. Do you know if they were able to basically install as is or if they needed other modifications to make it work?
Old 04-03-2019, 11:56 AM   #11
Chris V

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplustwo View Post
Cool. It looked like the mishimoto might interfere with intercooler mounting and plumbing. Do you know if they were able to basically install as is or if they needed other modifications to make it work?
I had to make brackets - the kit won’t work.

I’d recommend getting the parts separately, and maybe getting a Setrab cooler instead. My Mishimoto looks like it’s seeping, so I’m taking it apart this weekend to diagnose.

There’s no “plug and play” kit for a Whipple charged SS

Old 04-03-2019, 02:12 PM   #12
oneplustwo

That’s what I was considering. Do you have any recos for where it should go? I had a Setrab for my 335i that I was happy with so I’m onboard with using one of those. Just a matter of what size and where to put it! Let me know what you end up doing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
I had to make brackets - the kit won’t work.

I’d recommend getting the parts separately, and maybe getting a Setrab cooler instead. My Mishimoto looks like it’s seeping, so I’m taking it apart this weekend to diagnose.

There’s no “plug and play” kit for a Whipple charged SS
Old 04-03-2019, 09:30 PM   #13
Dnfwm

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
While I agree that an NA car would be the way to go, I myself have been debating all of this. I do about 10-15 track days a year and just bought a supercharger from a ZL1 to put on my 1LE. I do a lot of nights in Mexico too, so the added power will definitely be nice. I would imagine it will for sure make for faster lap times too. I will try to remember to chime in again once I get it shipped to me and installed. Yes not a whipple but still a PD.
Dnfwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:27 PM   #14
oneplustwo

I called Whipple and they suggested talking with vengeance racing who has experience in these areas. They suggested the weapon x triple x heat exchanger. Basically it’s an upgraded main radiator and two side radiators. They have a trunk mounted tank for additional coolant capacity too. It’s pretty stealth but I’m thinking perhaps unnecessary since I’m not planning on higher than “normal” boost levels.

I would love to go NA but it’s hard to argue with the power per dollar ratio plus being 50 state legal.