Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 07-23-2019, 11:37 AM   #57
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigg L1 View Post
Dr Feelgood how does yours sound? My build plan seems to match up to yours.
Also how much power are you putting to the wheels? After my Kooks headers I too plan on a pulley swap. Just trying to get an idea of where might end up.
So again, kind of hard to explain, but I'll try.

1st - I had factory headers with primary and secondary cats, and borla NPP catback
Sound was about the same as factory regarding pitch, but louder. Mildly louder on startup, same as OEM setup with valves closed (tour mode) mildly louder at idle with valves open, mildly louder on acceleration and at WOT.

but IMO, didn't sound like a 650hp car should sound. I find the OEM sound on the weak side , and it pales in comparison to say the sound coming out of the GT-350R

2nd - I added upper pulley, kooks 1 7/8" with high flow cats, mated to previously mentioned borla catback

On startup, it screams like a bat that scared the devil out of hell... sorry neighbors

even at idle, with valves closed, it gives a nice muscle car hmm, which isn't much different with valves open.

But on acceleration and at WOT, its scary. It has the slight rasp of an exotic, but the loud roar of an American pony car, and the two pitches sort of battle each other a bit when driving. It has ZERO drone under constant load when cruising on the highway and actually sounds close to OEM

In short, it is exactly what a now 700+hp car should sound like. I have found that all of the GT's and IS-F's and other cars that love pulling up to us want NO PARTS of this, not knowing what has been done under the hood because of the sound .

Hope this helps, if not, sorry, I did my best... you really have to hear every setup, It's amazing how different it can sound with this X pipe, that X pipe, this axle back, these headers, etc.

oh yeah, doing 615/620 at the wheels on a conservative 91 tune. you'll be able to add some timing and get more with this setup if you are running 93
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:44 AM   #58
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWayne1LE View Post
Anyone have any experience with AFE LTs?
]
i have them they are awesome i was the testcar for them
Old 07-23-2019, 12:25 PM   #59
Jason18ZL1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Is no one going to talk about the quality of steel? I’ve seen “cheap” headers literally rust through due to condensation where as better quality headers do not.

Fitment is only half the story... you want them to fit AND last... then there is the weld quality, weld type and this is all on top of the tuning of header length and fitment.

I feel many of you commenting on this topic only consider the basic of ideas behind design.
ARH Ceramic Coated LTH 1 7/8" \ ATI 15% Lower \ RotoFab Big Gulp \ Katech 103mm TB \ Ported Blower \ DSX Fuel System \ Flex Fuel E85 \ Custom Cam \ Dual Springs \ Corsa Exhaust \ Prospeed Heat Exchanger \ Cordes Big3\ C&R Racing Radiator \ LS3 Stat housing \ 160* Thermostat \ NX Lid
Jason18ZL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:57 PM   #60
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason18ZL1LE View Post
Is no one going to talk about the quality of steel? I’ve seen “cheap” headers literally rust through due to condensation where as better quality headers do not.

Fitment is only half the story... you want them to fit AND last... then there is the weld quality, weld type and this is all on top of the tuning of header length and fitment.

I feel many of you commenting on this topic only consider the basic of ideas behind design.
Most have Kooks or ARH. Both made in USA, both top notch regarding quality and longevity. The few complaints from Kooks was on the 2" possible rubbing against the drive shaft. No issues regarding fitment on the Kooks 1 7/8"

ARH:
* 304 stainless steel headers
* TIG welded
* Mandrel Bent
* 049 thickness
MADE IN USA

Next, slightly less popular are Stainless Works:

* 304 stainless steel headers
* TIG welded with 3/8" thick flanges
* 3" diameter slip fit collectors with merge spikes
MADE IN USA

Below Kooks/ARH/Stainless are

TSP , Pacesetters, and OBX

OBX specs:
Full Length Tube Design
Mirror Polished Finish
Made of 304-Grade Stainless Steel
Inlet Port Design: Square Port (2.0" x 1.8")
Primary Tube: 2.0" OD
Collector: 3.4" OD
Piping: 3.0" OD
Flange Thickness: 0.40"
Runner Wall Thickness: 16 Gauge (1.5mm)
Made in China

There are some who have had a lot of success with OBX

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532404

other snot so much

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...st-review.html

I think that if you look at quality, you can't beat ARH and Kooks

If you want a bargain, and fitment that could be great or could be off, take your chances on the Chinese made stuff.

So I disagree, many people have spoken on these specifics in one thread or another... but the general and most popular consensus seems to be, stick with ARH and Kooks, if for no other reason, being MADE in AMERICA!!!!!
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

Old 07-23-2019, 03:58 PM   #61
GreatWhiteLT

Drives: 2016 Silver Ice Metallic SS
I do have TSP 1 7/8th headers with their catless connection pipes, fitment was easy according to my shop. The only weird thing about mine was that the connection pipes were about a half inch bigger than any others they have seen. The measured other cars with TSP in the shop and mine was a little bigger but I have had no complaints what so ever. The passenger side connection pipe leaked a very small amount but some exhaust sealer worked and now it is all good!
GreatWhiteLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:47 PM   #62
viurniel
@viurniel

Drives: 19 ZLE A10, 15 2SS, 90 300ZXTT
ARH or Kooks and don't look back.

My experience: I have purchased some of the "affordable" versions mentioned in this thread, and on occasion regret the purchase... Every time I purchased the higher end brands, I never thought that I should have saved $400 bucks.

Also, the source of steel does make a difference.
viurniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:07 PM   #63
UFDUB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
is Texas Speed headers made in USA from local steel or made in/from China?
UFDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:20 PM   #64
Fredtp

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10 Black Mosaic
I have 1 7/8 ARH with cat less X pipe at coating shop now.
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:27 PM   #65
drfeelgood

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535846

another thread on the same subject. David from vengeance weighed in. OP, I would reach out to him or another respected tuner for advice!

Old 07-23-2019, 06:36 PM   #66
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
You sir have no idea of my experience with stainless and associated dissimilar metals at a commercial and semi industrial level for my entire career.

With that said, I will not condone your ignorance with any further comment.

I am sorry that you are so butthurt.
I don't need to know your history. There is no significant difference between any headers that will make any long lasting or drastic impact on a vehicle. People made these same comments about cheap vs expensive header years ago. People have been making these same comments for decades. Time and time again it has been proven to be untrue. People come on here talking about PhDs in this and decades working in this lab with metals or whatever the hell they do. And for all the fluff, it still remains that their will not be any significant difference in any of these headers. I had cheapo OBK LTs that I bought off Ebay for less than $600 on my 2010 Camaro SS. After 4 years and about 40K miles I traded the car in, removed the headers, sold them for $300, and installed them on the buyers Camaro in 3 hours and he drove off with them. When I removed them and inspected them, they were sound, solid, intact, and had no signs of damage. They were just worn. I could have paired them up next to Kooks headers with the same miles on them and aside from the emblems you would not be able to tell the difference between the two. There is no major difference with any of these headers I don't care if they're American, Chinese, whatever. They're all pretty much the same.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:46 PM   #67
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I don't need to know your history. There is no significant difference between any headers that will make any long lasting or drastic impact on a vehicle. People made these same comments about cheap vs expensive header years ago. People have been making these same comments for decades. Time and time again it has been proven to be untrue. People come on here talking about PhDs in this and decades working in this lab with metals or whatever the hell they do. And for all the fluff, it still remains that their will not be any significant difference in any of these headers. I had cheapo OBK LTs that I bought off Ebay for less than $600 on my 2010 Camaro SS. After 4 years and about 40K miles I traded the car in, removed the headers, sold them for $300, and installed them on the buyers Camaro in 3 hours and he drove off with them. When I removed them and inspected them, they were sound, solid, intact, and had no signs of damage. They were just worn. I could have paired them up next to Kooks headers with the same miles on them and aside from the emblems you would not be able to tell the difference between the two. There is no major difference with any of these headers I don't care if they're American, Chinese, whatever. They're all pretty much the same.
So I think we all have anecdotal evidence that people have great experience with OBX , TSP, etc. I to installed pacesetter headers on a previous vehicle, and OBX exhaust on another, and the build was solid, and I had zero complaints about the quality.

BUT, you can't ignore people's honest accounts of situations like this:

I think we can all agree that the build quality on these is subpar , compared to Kooks and ARH. I think what most are saying is, it is unlikely ARH or Kooks would EVER allow headers that look like these to leave their facility and go to a warehouse. You cant say the same for some of the other companies like OBX.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:05 PM   #68
Sibze

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Anyone looked at Corsa headers?
Sibze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:46 PM   #69
viurniel
@viurniel

Drives: 19 ZLE A10, 15 2SS, 90 300ZXTT
Many of us that have bought low cost performance parts and have bad experiences with them tend not to post about it because we don't want to be shamed for the decision with "it's your fault for going cheap". IMO it is a roll of the dice with the low cost stuff - sometimes good, sometimes crap.

Also, like I said before the materials are different based on where they are sourced. Nevertheless, we know GM sources a lot of stuff from China and it works well in our cars. I believe that the issue with the knock off headers is mostly due to the R&D and the Q&A that goes into making them, and not the metal itself.
viurniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:21 PM   #70
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
So I think we all have anecdotal evidence that people have great experience with OBX , TSP, etc. I to installed pacesetter headers on a previous vehicle, and OBX exhaust on another, and the build was solid, and I had zero complaints about the quality.

BUT, you can't ignore people's honest accounts of situations like this:

I think we can all agree that the build quality on these is subpar , compared to Kooks and ARH. I think what most are saying is, it is unlikely ARH or Kooks would EVER allow headers that look like these to leave their facility and go to a warehouse. You cant say the same for some of the other companies like OBX.
Right but that doesn't mean that Kooks or ARH do not have as many, less, or more headers with those types of issues being produced. At best all you can say is that they don't leave their facility and end up in customer hands. And even then it is just a guess. I've seen threads where someone has bought a set of Kooks and ARH and had some type of issue like fitment or quality. ANd it is as simple as returning them and getting a replacement set. If that person in that thread you posted contacted OBX or whatever outlet they bought the headers from, then they would have been sent a replacement set as well. I know for a fact that if you buy products off Ebay and have issues with it then Ebay will force the seller to refund the money or send a replacement set with free or reimbursed shipping to the buyer. And for the record, Kooks and ARH both have had to send their customers a replacement set of headers for different issues. It happens.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote