Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-20-2019, 06:05 AM   #99
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1LE View Post
Drove a fairly new stock GT350 on track and was sold on someday having one. 2 years later I'm in a 1SS1LE of my own on track. The GT350 is a great car. The brakes and exhaust note are all I find I liked more. I bought the 1LE with track in mind and it delivers. I love cars but for me, if I hadn't intended to track a car I would not have considered either car.
Please compare their driving feeling
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:45 PM   #100
Chevy1LE

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
"Please compare their driving feeling". I find them both very well planted in the turns. Very controllable power and steering in the turns. Both require regulating the throttle to control under steer but very responsive. On turn exit both cars transition smooth no snap or tail happiness. Although both will break loose when called upon also. Both were manual transmission and worked flawless. I found no issues with the Mustang. Although less power the 1LE is a better value to me. I would have to drive the GT350 on track again now fresh to honestly to find advantages/disadvantages. Either way I don't think there are many. The 1LE brakes are adequate but I have run both cars down into the same turn at 140 and GT350 stock brakes were very confidence inspiring. Ford may fit it with a level up in pads and tires. I never looked into it.
Just before I bought the 1LE I drove a Mustang 5.0 with the track package. Only through streets and no track. Test drove the 1LE about the same. The 1LE seemed more what I like. I think both cars are awesome. I see no bad choice but only preference. I'd be proud to own either or both
Old 05-28-2019, 02:55 AM   #101
TEST DRyVer

Drives: 17 ZL1 6mt with PDR
This Mustang vs Camaro rivalry is pretty real! As an outsider, I'm fairly non-biased. I'm a fan of performance cars in general, regardless of the make. It seems that the for the last 5+ years (I go through cars fairly quickly), I've been predominantly buying German. Truth be told, I've always slightly favored the Mustang over the Camaro for the majority of my life (excluding when I was a kid, at that time I would of done just about anything to even sit passenger in an IROC-Z). The only 2 products I can remember buying from GM and Ford happened to be an 05 CTS-V and an 05 GT Mustang (modded). Guys, this 6th Gen Camaro has completely changed my mind. When I tell my buddies I'm torn between a 2SS 1LE or a ZL1, they tilt their head sideways like a dog that doesn't quite understand. They think there's a punchline coming after my statement, but if they drive a 6th Gen (some of these guys play with big-boy toys: GT Porsche's, McLaren's, Lambo's, BMW M cars, AMG Merc's, etc...), they would understand my point.
I too am a fan of the GT350, but the manual seats and the high seating position might be a deal breaker ( I absolutely love that Mustangs still have a handbrake. Something that many of you might disagree with me about). The M2 is a legitimate contender as well, but I've owned so many BMW's that I am ready for something different. That brings us back to the 6th Gen chassis, which is nothing short of excellence, ESPECIALLY in this price point! The shift linkage, steering feel, and powertrain are Solid...
So all biases aside, the 6th Gen Camaro is simply making a better car at the moment (compared to domestic rivalry). That can change tomorrow, but right now I think the SS 1LE and ZL1 are one of the Best cars for money. Of course this is just my opinion, but remember, I'm not a Chevy guy, a Ford guy, or a Dodge guy. I'm just a car guy trying to figure out what the best car is to replace my 718 Cayman with...

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Current Family car (for the wifey): 2021 Audi SQ5
TEST DRyVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:57 AM   #102
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEST DRyVer View Post
This Mustang vs Camaro rivalry is pretty real! As an outsider, I'm fairly non-biased. I'm a fan of performance cars in general, regardless of the make. It seems that the for the last 5+ years (I go through cars fairly quickly), I've been predominantly buying German. Truth be told, I've always slightly favored the Mustang over the Camaro for the majority of my life (excluding when I was a kid, at that time I would of done just about anything to even sit passenger in an IROC-Z). The only 2 products I can remember buying from GM and Ford happened to be an 05 CTS-V and an 05 GT Mustang (modded). Guys, this 6th Gen Camaro has completely changed my mind. When I tell my buddies I'm torn between a 2SS 1LE or a ZL1, they tilt their head sideways like a dog that doesn't quite understand. They think there's a punchline coming after my statement, but if they drive a 6th Gen (some of these guys play with big-boy toys: GT Porsche's, McLaren's, Lambo's, BMW M cars, AMG Merc's, etc...), they would understand my point.
I too am a fan of the GT350, but the manual seats and the high seating position might be a deal breaker ( I absolutely love that Mustangs still have a handbrake. Something that many of you might disagree with me about). The M2 is a legitimate contender as well, but I've owned so many BMW's that I am ready for something different. That brings us back to the 6th Gen chassis, which is nothing short of excellence, ESPECIALLY in this price point! The shift linkage, steering feel, and powertrain are Solid...
So all biases aside, the 6th Gen Camaro is simply making a better car at the moment (compared to domestic rivalry). That can change tomorrow, but right now I think the SS 1LE and ZL1 are one of the Best cars for money. Of course this is just my opinion, but remember, I'm not a Chevy guy, a Ford guy, or a Dodge guy. I'm just a car guy trying to figure out what the best car is to replace my 718 Cayman with...
I just don't think the Mustang can compare to the Camaro at this point. Maybe the GT500 will change things. But at what cost and will it be attainable by the core fans? Performance-wise, durability-wise, reliability-wise, value-wise, etc the Camaro is superior.

If you're even considering a ZL1, then I would advise you to not think about the SS or SLE. I'm not knocking the SS and SLE. But the ZL1 is just that good that you won't be satisfied if you go backwards. Unless you can get a smoking hot deal on a SS/SLE that is. And I mean it would have to be a smoking red hot deal. But my suggestion is to get the ZL1.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:41 AM   #103
TEST DRyVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I just don't think the Mustang can compare to the Camaro at this point. Maybe the GT500 will change things. But at what cost and will it be attainable by the core fans? Performance-wise, durability-wise, reliability-wise, value-wise, etc the Camaro is superior.

If you're even considering a ZL1, then I would advise you to not think about the SS or SLE. I'm not knocking the SS and SLE. But the ZL1 is just that good that you won't be satisfied if you go backwards. Unless you can get a smoking hot deal on a SS/SLE that is. And I mean it would have to be a smoking red hot deal. But my suggestion is to get the ZL1.
I agree, but the GT500 is ONE car. I'm sure that Ford has gone all out to specifically beat the ZL1 and or ZLE (and they likely will, since that's probably their exact target). The overall chassis of the current Camaro is just more stable and able to put down the power with more confidence than the current Mustang chassis. Sales wise, it seems the pre-owned market is favoring the Mustang (they seem to hold a bit better value). Of course the GT350 and 350R are holding excellent value.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford...l-value-awards

As far as ZL1 vs 2SS 1LE, I'm still not 100% sure. It seems the NA power and slightly lighter weight is favoring this car, but 200 additional horsepower cannot be ignored! Pre-owned, the difference between a 2SS 1LE and a ZL1 is over $10k. That can't be ignored either. Let's see after my wife and I close on this next house what makes more sense.
I was even thinking if I found a killer deal on a pre-owned 2SS 1LE, I'd buy it, learn and explore this chassis, and then trade up to a pre-owned ZL1 inside of 6 months. My financial loss would be minimal, as long as I bought the 1LE correctly.

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:26 AM   #104
Bosse'sBoss

Just curious. Owning a Porsche Cayman why do you want to go instead for a Camaro?
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
Old 05-29-2019, 06:37 AM   #105
Bosse'sBoss

Thumbs up

Quote:
Seems like you are on the right track

If $ is not an issue, this is my preference:
1. Camaro ZL1 (non 1LE version, because I think that is very focused to track only duty, it might be harsh for DD driving).
2. Camaro SS1LE
3. Camaro SS

I owned a Infiniti G35 Sport coupe, Porsche 911 Carrera, 5th gen Camaro ZL1, Corvette C7 Stingray Z5, a '11 Mustang GT 5.0, and actually a 6th gen Camaro SS. My favorite sport cars has been both of my Camaros.
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 07-28-2020 at 05:46 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:48 PM   #106
TEST DRyVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Just curious. Owning a Porsche Cayman why do you want to go instead for a Camaro?
It's a fair question, and since you've owned a Porsche you know it's not just a car, it's the entire experience: power handling, interior ergonomics, craftsmanship, dealer servicing, dealership experience and ownership process. You buy into all of that when buying a Porsche.
I'm doing it because even if I have my perfect dream car (I don't have my perfect dream car, since it's out of my budget), I'm going to want something different in about a year. I like to switch it up. And it's not always necessarily an upgrade. I love the Cayman, but it's a lease, I drive 100 miles roundtrip to work, almost 6 days a week. I drive the Cayman half the week. If and when my wife decides to change where she works, she won't be able to drive the Cayman to work half the week to keep the miles down (she's still a beginner with manual transmission, so she drives the Cayman when her drive is 5-6 miles each way. Max!). When that happens I'll go way over on miles.
In the end, it doesn't matter. I'm always going to be looking for an excuse to change out my cars. We ALL need variety in our lives! I personally am 100% faithful to my wife, but that makes the urge even stronger to keep the cars moving

Old 06-21-2019, 08:52 AM   #107
havasu486

Drives: 2018 Shelby GT350
I've had two GT350s. The first was a buyback as it puked two motors within the first 5000 miles of ownership. The second is I hope at the end of litigation as a lemon for a transmission and other issues. My next track monster will be a SS 1LE, the best bang for the buck, or a Grand Sport, because I want one. Either way it will not be another Ford product.

The GT350 is the most amazing car I have ever owned. Its just a fragile piece of crap.
havasu486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:34 PM   #108
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I think they compare very well. There are a lot of things that I think the Camaro does better, and mustang has a lot of appeal to it.

Looks, to me, is a toss up. I love the 6th gen, and while not a fan of the early s550s, I love the 18s. If they didn't do the redesign, i would have for sure bought a 1LE.

Brakes, Camaro all the way. Ford's bean counters still stick a floating rear caliper on these cars.

Transmission, manual is what I have experience with, definitely the Camaro. The MT82 shifts nicer, but reliability wise, the Tremec is superior.

Engine, it's a personal preference, but I would say I like the pushrod 1% better. I do love the Coyote, but I loved the power band in my grand sport ls3, and I think the LT1 is even better.

Chassis, the Alpha is the superior platform, there is no contest.

For track use, the Camaro is the better choice, as it can be driven hard for a longer period of time without having to do any modifications.

Value, reliability, and durability? I think the Mustangs hold their value better, the other 2 categories i think are a wash.

I preferred more things on the Mustang, mainly the looks, options and the price.

As far as the GT500, if it is priced as I think it will be, there would be no reason for me personally to get it over a z06, or a ZL1.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:39 AM   #109
Bosse'sBoss

Thumbs up

Quote:
It's a fair question, and since you've owned a Porsche you know it's not just a car, it's the entire experience: power handling, interior ergonomics, craftsmanship, dealer servicing, dealership experience and ownership process. You buy into all of that when buying a Porsche.
I'm doing it because even if I have my perfect dream car (I don't have my perfect dream car, since it's out of my budget), I'm going to want something different in about a year. I like to switch it up. And it's not always necessarily an upgrade. I love the Cayman, but it's a lease, I drive 100 miles roundtrip to work, almost 6 days a week. I drive the Cayman half the week. If and when my wife decides to change where she works, she won't be able to drive the Cayman to work half the week to keep the miles down (she's still a beginner with manual transmission, so she drives the Cayman when her drive is 5-6 miles each way. Max!). When that happens I'll go way over on miles.
In the end, it doesn't matter. I'm always going to be looking for an excuse to change out my cars. We ALL need variety in our lives! I personally am 100% faithful to my wife, but that makes the urge even stronger to keep the cars moving

My '02 Porsche 911 Carrera was an eye catcher and a track monster, very good lightweight with an amazing handling suspension. The negatives: very unreliable and expensive to maintain and most uncomfortable to ride on it with my Family. I replaced it with my first Muscle car a '11 Mustang GT with a strong 5.0 V8.
It sounds strange, but believe me that I didn't missed my Porsche.

Afterwards I owned a very dependable, great looking and powerful 5th gen Camaro ZL1, which wrongly I replaced it with a Corvette Stingray Z51, which was a great looking and great performing car, but which also was very unreliable as the Porsche.

Afterwards I test drove one of my dream cars a Cayman S with 6 cylinders which came with the excellent PDK transmission. Immediately I noticed that didn't felt good of going down from a V8 to a 6 cylinders engine ( I missed the power and the exhaust sound of the big engine, and even that the Porsche has an excellent DCT PDK transmission, that paddle shifted very fast and precise. For me it wasn't a substitute for the great feeling of shifting yourself on a MT. Also the cabin of the Cayman felt very cramped, with less space than my 911. So I went back to a newer 6th gen Camaro SS with the 6 speed manual transmission which I keep enjoying every time I have a chance to drive it
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 07-28-2020 at 06:11 AM.