Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-26-2023, 10:06 PM   #1
aa21

Drives: 2022 Chevrolet Camaro
LoJack?

I was looking into getting LoJack for my ‘22 SS, but I couldn’t really tell how to get it downloaded/purchased. I bought the car new 2 years ago, any idea on how to have it installed after the car was purchased?
aa21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 07:57 AM   #2
sklippi2018

Drives: 2023 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa21 View Post
I was looking into getting LoJack for my ‘22 SS, but I couldn’t really tell how to get it downloaded/purchased. I bought the car new 2 years ago, any idea on how to have it installed after the car was purchased?
Curious as to why you'd want LoJack? The technology that comes with these new Camaros pretty much take the place of LoJack by using the MyChevy App; turn on/off, lock/unlock, alarm, and location.

However, your '22 should be able to have the wifi turned on. Then you can probably download from the car.

Guys/Gals correct me if I am wrong.
sklippi2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 08:11 AM   #3

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Good question! I had LoJack installed in my '11 about 12 years ago. It seemed like the thing to do then as stock anti-theft features and On-Star were/are basically useless. Installing it made the insurance company happy as well.

Not sure if LoJack is still even in business! Haven't heard a peep from them in years and I forgot all about it as well.
I'm gonna check into it later today. I think it's up to local or state law enforcement if they use it or not. Good luck! and thanks for posting. Call your local pd and ask if they use it.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 09:46 AM   #4
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
OnStar Safety & Security Plan $30.00 per month.
Automatic Crash Response
The help you need in a crash without having to ask for it.

Emergency Services
Specially trained Advisors are available in your moment of need.

Roadside Assistance
Trouble on the road is no trouble at all.

Crisis Assist
In a crisis situation, OnStar Advisors are ready to help you.

OnStar Guardian app
In your car, on your motorcycle or on a hike — we’re there to help.

Turn-by-Turn Navigation
Directions to anywhere at the push of a button.

Stolen Vehicle Assistance
Technology that helps get your stolen car back.
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 10:02 AM   #5
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2SS455 View Post
OnStar Safety & Security Plan $30.00 per month.
Automatic Crash Response
The help you need in a crash without having to ask for it.

Emergency Services
Specially trained Advisors are available in your moment of need.

Roadside Assistance
Trouble on the road is no trouble at all.

Crisis Assist
In a crisis situation, OnStar Advisors are ready to help you.

OnStar Guardian app
In your car, on your motorcycle or on a hike — we’re there to help.

Turn-by-Turn Navigation
Directions to anywhere at the push of a button.

Stolen Vehicle Assistance
Technology that helps get your stolen car back.
Which all works great, until they disable your onstar before taking off with your car, very easy to do. Not really a suitable theft deterrent/recovery tool.
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 10:43 AM   #6
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Maybe there's two different conversations going on here, app versus physical LoJack.

My wife has a co-worker whose truck kept getting stolen, He bought one of those GPS trackers on Amazon, You just hide in or under the vehicle. It has a monthly subscription, and the next time somebody stole his truck, The police picked him up at work and they just went right to the truck and thief.

The truck wasn't stolen again as far as I know so it makes me think it was the same guy stealing it every time.
Old 09-27-2023, 11:13 AM   #7
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing like an SS View Post
Which all works great, until they disable your onstar before taking off with your car, very easy to do. Not really a suitable theft deterrent/recovery tool.
https://www.azfamily.com/video/2023/...cking-devices/

Thieves are going high tech to disable car tracking devices
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 11:25 AM   #8
haggler

Drives: '23 2SS RSblue 6MT, sold '19 ND2
My lo jack is the third pedal.

5-6-22:1100,
7-19-22: 3000,
8-3-22: TPW 8/15/22,
10-4-22: ETA 10/13/2022
10-15-22 6000
haggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 11:27 AM   #9
ChibbMD

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
I did a lot of research when I got my new 1LE a month ago. I also noticed that LoJack didn't have much of a presence in the market anymore. I think I got some sort of national website where you could buy one and they'd have a local rep handle the install. The lack of a current website and easy purchasing made me go another route.

Ultimately, I researched the GPS trackers mentioned by SnakeEyeSS and that's what I decided to go with. There are two main kinds - ones that plug into the ODBII port and ones that are battery powered. While the ODBII options are powered by the car, I didn't like that they are so obvious (not hidden). I liked the hide-ability of the smaller stand-alone trackers but I didn't like that you'd have to pull them out of hiding periodically to charge it.

What I did was install a small USB charger (tied into the Accessory circuit) in a hidden place and I leave the tracker plugged into it. Basically, anytime the car is on the tracker is charging. Works great! Let me know if you want more detail about what I did.
ChibbMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 02:26 PM   #10
aa21

Drives: 2022 Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sklippi2018 View Post
Curious as to why you'd want LoJack? The technology that comes with these new Camaros pretty much take the place of LoJack by using the MyChevy App; turn on/off, lock/unlock, alarm, and location.

However, your '22 should be able to have the wifi turned on. Then you can probably download from the car.

Guys/Gals correct me if I am wrong.
Unfortunately, the equipment that comes with my Chevy is completely useless including onstar. My Camaro was stolen and the thieves ripped out the GPS antenna which disabled my Chevy and the Onstar module. So I am looking for alternatives that are harder to bypass.
aa21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 04:11 PM   #11
Anjilslaire

Drives: 2021 3LT RS A10
My dealership has this installed on every car on their lot. It's included in the purchase price
https://www.karrsecurity.com/

Edit: or rather, for 5 years

Attached Images

Anjilslaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 03:32 AM   #12
sklippi2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggler View Post
My lo jack is the third pedal.
Old 09-28-2023, 03:51 AM   #13
sklippi2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
Maybe there's two different conversations going on here, app versus physical LoJack.

My wife has a co-worker whose truck kept getting stolen, He bought one of those GPS trackers on Amazon, You just hide in or under the vehicle. It has a monthly subscription, and the next time somebody stole his truck, The police picked him up at work and they just went right to the truck and thief.

The truck wasn't stolen again as far as I know so it makes me think it was the same guy stealing it every time.
Might be something to really consider. Probably cheaper of the options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2SS455 View Post
https://www.azfamily.com/video/2023/...cking-devices/

Thieves are going high tech to disable car tracking devices
Interestingly enough a quick search showed that the last time Camaros were a hot item to steal was back in 2013/2015. Nevertheless gotta protect the investment!
Old 09-28-2023, 08:38 AM   #14
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Around me, the only thieves are kids, and they are just TikTok generation thieves - if there isn't a video about how to do it, they aren't doing research and they aren't buying fancy tech.

My 2014 Accord was stolen in 2016, because i left a spare set of keys on my garage bench while cleaning up after installing lowering coilovers and having it aligned. What the kids do here is travel in groups and send out scouts to look for keys (usually left inside cars). The kids collect the keys and mark the location and then drivers come and snag the cars (about 300-400 a year in a population of 300k). I suspect they snagged them during the day. That night, the kids stayed in the shadows (neighbor saw them) until I went inside for another beverage. The car was found 4 days later, and was just being driven for joy riding, they did about $6k in damage hitting things, which was fixed by insurance. I still have that car and am at 220k mi. now.

Since I park in locked garage or at my office, theft risk is very low there. I also live in a different neighborhood that is harder to access, tho I do see cars turn around at the cul de sac that are suspicious, and have jumped in a vehicle and followed a few to put pressure on them to keep moving out of the neighborhood (neighbors have had cars ransacked).

I travel for work and my main concern is parking at hotels, so I pick nice hotels and park in well lit areas when traveling. I pay attention to my surroundings and make changes as needed. I will just rent a car when needed, if I am uncomfortable with where I'll be parking my personal car.

I am aware that the OnStar antenna can be ripped off, but I pay for OnStar for the majority of concerns that I face.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote