Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-11-2023, 06:07 PM   #1
eaglesfan2006

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE Riverside Blue
Stock head unit issues

Just bought a 2019 1SS1LE (20k miles) 2 weeks ago, but the last few days the head unit has been randomly turning off and back on while driving. The USB ports also lose power when this occurs. doesn’t happen every time I drive, doesn’t seem to occur when there’s a bump in the road either

Hoping someone has some insight on a fix! Thanks
eaglesfan2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 06:29 PM   #2
Aaron07

Drives: 2017 2SS F1FTY
Fist things first: Disconnect the battery and let sit for 10 mins. Reconnect and see if it still happens.
2017 2SS F1FTY/HUD/Mag Ride/NPP/Nav/M6/Mishimoto catch can/BTR stage 2 Cam kit/GPI ported LT2 IM and 95mm TB/Roto Fab CAI/Kooks Long Tubes ceramic coated/Borla S Type NPP catback/AFE lowering springs/1LE wheels/OEM smoked tail lights/Diode Dynamics side markers/Uniden R7/3D Maxpider floor mats/Adams graphene ceramic coat
Aaron07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 12:21 AM   #3
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
when the display is on its way out it does this... though I've only heard of 2017 and 2016 models having a hardware issue where this was a thing. if your cables to the hmi unit aren't loose, I'd still think it was the display.

luckily, displays dont need anything special programmed... even if dealers say it does. you can get a used one off ebay .. just make sure it's definitely the right year...cuz the connectors on the back have changed a few times
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 01:00 PM   #4
eaglesfan2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
when the display is on its way out it does this... though I've only heard of 2017 and 2016 models having a hardware issue where this was a thing. if your cables to the hmi unit aren't loose, I'd still think it was the display.

luckily, displays dont need anything special programmed... even if dealers say it does. you can get a used one off ebay .. just make sure it's definitely the right year...cuz the connectors on the back have changed a few times
Cables to the hmi unit?

Assuming this is the connection behind the head unit? Thanks!
Old 07-15-2023, 09:52 AM   #5
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan2006 View Post
Cables to the hmi unit?

Assuming this is the connection behind the head unit? Thanks!
yes which goes to the hmi that is in the passenger footwell.

it's free to check, but chances are more likely you will need a new display unit. sourcing that off ebay is the most economical option.

especially if the blacking out display is intermittent. the touch screen may still respond too. the blacking out will progress and eventually become perm. if it's what i think.

the other option is something failing in the hmi unit. if that's the case, then you need a dealer to replace it since it must be programmed and married to your specific car. unless you get something from gen5diy. New hmi is gonna be close to 1k. New display should run much much less.... so hopefully it's not the hmi

Last edited by cellsafemode; 07-15-2023 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-16-2023, 10:26 PM   #6
eaglesfan2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
yes which goes to the hmi that is in the passenger footwell.

it's free to check, but chances are more likely you will need a new display unit. sourcing that off ebay is the most economical option.

especially if the blacking out display is intermittent. the touch screen may still respond too. the blacking out will progress and eventually become perm. if it's what i think.

the other option is something failing in the hmi unit. if that's the case, then you need a dealer to replace it since it must be programmed and married to your specific car. unless you get something from gen5diy. New hmi is gonna be close to 1k. New display should run much much less.... so hopefully it's not the hmi
Tried the battery disconnect like suggested above. Seems to have fixed the issue, so fingers crossed. Only driven 4 since disconnecting the battery with two of those being hour drives so I’m hopeful.

If it comes back I’ll pop off the head unit and the connections behind the screen - if I understand you correctly.
Old 07-24-2023, 03:07 AM   #7
cellsafemode

that will work for a while but if it has started blanking it will eventually become permanent.

you'll have to do it more frequently... could take months.. but then all of a sudden nothing is going to work.

you do have time at least to ebay a replacement screen probably. that way when it does go, you can just spend 10 min swapping the new one in and you're good to go.

edit: i believe the fuses for the display and the hmi are separate. you may be able to verify the issue is limited to the display by pulling the fuse for it and leaving the hmi powered. instead of cutting the battery. next time it blanks.