Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-18-2023, 01:28 PM   #43
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Collecting mechanical/maintenance data and selling your personal info to insurance is two very different discussions.

The diagnostic info is not being sold.

What CAN be shared (or sold) is your driving data, if you allowed it to be shared. I get the same diagnostic info.

Believe me, my insurance would be through the roof right now if they were getting my info!!!! They aren't, my data is not being shared or sold.
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 01:32 PM   #44
Junction65

Drives: 2011 GMC Sierra 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing like an SS View Post
Remove fuses, remove main boards, wow, just opt out!
I never opted in when activating, I took delivery during covid, so dealer did not touch anything, and zero issues in 3+ years. No reports, no data being collected.

Those that have "reporting" issues, you are not actually opted out, or there would be NO reporting.

Disconnect and take apart anything you wish, but it is not necessary.......
Quote:
Collecting mechanical/maintenance data and selling your personal info to insurance is two very different discussions.

What CAN be shared (or sold) is your driving data, if you allowed it to be shared. I get the same diagnostic info.

Believe me, my insurance would be through the roof right now if they were getting my info!!!! They aren't, my data is not being shared or sold.
Correct and I agree with you relative to "two very different discussions."

The point is that the car is still connected and transmitting data that I did not opt-in on per your previous post.
Current mileage: 310
Junction65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 02:49 PM   #45
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:

That is a very fine line. Like, clear 2lb test fishing line.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 05:48 PM   #46
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Quote:
Remove fuses, remove main boards, wow, just opt out!
I never opted in when activating, I took delivery during covid, so dealer did not touch anything, and zero issues in 3+ years. No reports, no data being collected.
My 2023 2SS came with OnStar turned on, and there was a report from my drive home - so don’t think you're in the clear if you don’t subscribe. I cleared and disabled it immediately; right after that, I found out GM’s policy is to deliver cars with the system enabled, but it will shut itself off if you don’t give them a credit card after 30 days. So, be proactive and call OnStar right away and say, “I don’t care if it’s free for a month, shut it down now!”
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 06:01 PM   #47
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
My 2023 2SS came with OnStar turned on, and there was a report from my drive home - so don’t think you're in the clear if you don’t subscribe. I cleared and disabled it immediately; right after that, I found out GM’s policy is to deliver cars with the system enabled, but it will shut itself off if you don’t give them a credit card after 30 days. So, be proactive and call OnStar right away and say, “I don’t care if it’s free for a month, shut it down now!”
What you found out about “GMs policy” is a wee bit sketchy, at least from my perspective. You can go back and look at my post from months ago… said no to Onstar “live” when buying the car at dealer, so no permission given, no $ transferred, then requested to opt out when I saw data was being collected (after seeing posts like this). A week later GM site still said active. With that said, I owned the car for more than a year.

Fuse pulled….
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 06:54 PM   #48
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Don’t know what the policy was when you got your car, but that’s the way it was 10 days ago. Today, I got a fat brochure extolling the virtues of OnStar, so I expect the phone calls, text messages and emails will follow.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 07:41 PM   #49
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
Don’t know what the policy was when you got your car, but that’s the way it was 10 days ago. Today, I got a fat brochure extolling the virtues of OnStar, so I expect the phone calls, text messages and emails will follow.
I may bring my tools the day I pick the car up and pull the OnStar board right in the showroom after I sign the papers
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 08:22 PM   #50
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
[QUOTE=
Believe me, my insurance would be through the roof right now if they were getting my info!!!! They aren't, my data is not being shared or sold.[/QUOTE]

I agree, a great deal of well crafted, definite answers here while being rather expedited of detail. I really don't know if I'm monitored- or not!

All I know for sure is, if I was my insurance company, I'd cancel me! But that hasn't happened. In fact they are good to me. I've been driving that Gen6 for 6 years! So the only conclusion is they don't have access to that info- and what insurance company would NOT use that if it were available... available anywhere? Or... maybe, they've bigger fish to fry !?!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 09:38 PM   #51
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
I agree, a great deal of well crafted, definite answers here while being rather expedited of detail. I really don't know if I'm monitored- or not!

All I know for sure is, if I was my insurance company, I'd cancel me! But that hasn't happened. In fact they are good to me. I've been driving that Gen6 for 6 years! So the only conclusion is they don't have access to that info- and what insurance company would NOT use that if it were available... available anywhere? Or... maybe, they've bigger fish to fry !?!
They work with statistics and probabilities, their primary purpose is to spread the risk and minimize payouts, not to "punish" individual drivers for specific behaviors that do not result in eventual payouts. I'm not saying they won't factor driving habits into these calculations, they do and if they can get their hands on more data, they will keep grabbing, but it's just one aspect that won't cause premiums to go through the roof.

What does result in that is relentlessly increasing repair costs due to complex, expensive parts that used to be cheap, and sudden changes in payout probabilities such as adding a teenage male driver to your policy, just to quote two examples.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 10:53 PM   #52
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
sudden changes in payout probabilities such as adding a teenage male driver to your policy
Yeah it's +$3k per kid per year around here. Gender doesn't matter. And about half the kids smash their cars, so yeah the payouts are real for everyone including the ins co.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 06:24 PM   #53
HemiDave

Drives: ZLE/DEMON/GLADIATOR/GSXR1000R/ZX10R
If anyone needed more proof....

From todays New York Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/t...insurance.html
Attached Images

2018 Dodge Demon #1399
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 6 speed manual
2023 ZL1 1LE 6 speed manual
2018 Suzuki GSXR 1000R
2021 Kawasaki ZX10R
HemiDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 07:28 PM   #54
Sephx1

Drives: 18 ZLE, 18 SS1LE, 16 SS, 23 ZL1
HemiDave, thank you. Finally some confirmation of what we knew was happening all along. I started a thread on this in January. The latest is that my regional OnStar rep told me that I’m not the only one and it has something to do with being caught between software versions or something to that effect. He asked me to go in and toggle it on then off again, and thinks that would solve it. Just ordered new consumer reports from both of these agencies to see if it’s still reporting.
Sephx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 07:39 PM   #55
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Not so much confirmation as it is the Camaro6 forums scooping the NYT. This has been established for some time, despite some naysayers. Camaro6 has been way out ahead on this issue - including this extremely useful thread from 2022 that beat the Times to the punch by a year and a half:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610488
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 01:04 AM   #56
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
my onstar has been physically disabled from remote communication since 2016.

I'd say some of us told you so then. but well.. told you so. nothing that's sold non optionally that collects data and provides you with no way to turn it off is for your good. so why let them leach on your property making money off you and give nothing in return but higher insurance?

disable it. it's a complete waste.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote