Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-13-2019, 12:40 PM   #1
ShadySS

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue SS
Caliper bolt help!

Hi everyone, My car needs new brakes, easy enough right? so I ordered the parts, pads and rotors.

went to install them this morning, got the pins out and the bracket that hold the pads out, got the pads out, all is going well so far, go to take the caliper bolts out, and they're tough, get the breaker bar, the bottom one starts to loosen off a bit, but its fighting me the whole time, even after I've gotten it about 1/2in-3/4 backed out, now it wont even budge, not even with an impact.

anyone else have experience with these bolts? are they hard to remove? do i need a stronger impact? the one I'm using is supposed to be rated at 240FT-lb but it doesn't fit so I'm using an adapter and maybe that's causing it to lose power.

any help would be greatly appreciated! thank you.
ShadySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:19 PM   #2
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Sounds cross threaded, try lube, cause everything is better with a lil lube,
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:08 PM   #3
Wilka_SS

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Metallic Grey 2ss
They're blue or orange loctited from the factory, put down your purse and loosen the bolts.
Wilka_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #4
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
Crossed or plain galling. Short answer its F'd. Try heat but good chance you'll break it off.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:27 PM   #5
trohde78

Drives: '17 Red Hot 2SS 6MT
Mine were very hard to get off as well. It's the factory loctite. They came out halfway then stopped. Maxed out the impact gun and they came out though.
trohde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #6
ShadySS

Quote:
Originally Posted by trohde78 View Post
Mine were very hard to get off as well. It's the factory loctite. They came out halfway then stopped. Maxed out the impact gun and they came out though.
This is what I'm hoping for, I think my gun isn't strong enough, especially with the old rusted angle adapter I have.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:25 PM   #7
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
My question is, are you upgrading the brakes with better rotors? Why not turn them if it's your first brake job.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:48 PM   #8
ShadySS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
My question is, are you upgrading the brakes with better rotors? Why not turn them if it's your first brake job.
Not upgrading, just OEM replacement, wanted to get them turned but I got a good deal on the OEM rotors so I'm just replacing.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:24 PM   #9
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadySS View Post
This is what I'm hoping for, I think my gun isn't strong enough, especially with the old rusted angle adapter I have.
Also make sure you are using an impact socket. Standard sockets absorb too much of the impact. Some heat may help too. Doesn't have to be oxy acetylene, just something to soften up the thread locker.

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:24 PM   #10
ShadySS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
Also make sure you are using an impact socket. Standard sockets absorb too much of the impact. Some heat may help too. Doesn't have to be oxy acetylene, just something to soften up the thread locker.

Nigel
Thanks for the advice! I'll hit it with some heat, and make sure I'm using an impact socket.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:32 PM   #11
Wilka_SS

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Metallic Grey 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post

Nigel
That's not how an impact socket works, if anything you want a chrome socket because it transfers more force. That's why you aren't supposed to torque anything with impact sockets and that's why impact sockets are cheaper. They are softer.
Wilka_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:43 PM   #12
rocknss

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilka_SS View Post
That's not how an impact socket works, if anything you want a chrome socket because it transfers more force. That's why you aren't supposed to torque anything with impact sockets and that's why impact sockets are cheaper. They are softer.

You are wrong!

Impact sockets are less hard and absorb blows. You can think of impact sockets as being designed to withstand significant jolts of power, whereas chrome sockets are made for hand torque applied (much slower and more consistent). Chrome sockets should never be used on high-torque impact guns or wrenches. This is a quote from agradetools.com
2001 Chevy Camaro SS (sold)
1969 Chevy Suburban (restoration project)
rocknss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:04 AM   #13
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Turn your compressor wide open and use your impact gun to run the bolts back in then alternate between loosening and tightening to break up the factory thread locker and you should be able to coax them out.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:28 AM   #14
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Doubt OP's impact wrench is an air tool if it's only rated for 240 ft/lb

May need a higher rated one. My son bought a cheap Harbor Freight impact wrench rated for 230 ft/lb, was pretty much worthless. Even my cordless Kobalt one is rated for more than 600 ft/lb
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote