Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-06-2019, 09:36 PM   #15
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
CAGS (Computer Assisted Gear Selection) first debuted on the 1990 Corvette ZR1 6 speed. Frankly it’s a godsend because it enables engineers to design and sell a car that would otherwise suffer from the federal gas guzzler tax and still be easily, cheaply, undetectably defeated by the owner. I don’t know how that’s any more of a win-win-win for everyone.

It’s worth the $12 to not have to change your shifting style that you’ve done for 25+ years.
It was actually first used one year prior in '89 on the 6 speed Corvettes. It's a clever solution.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:49 AM   #16
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
It seems that most of the companies that sell these are putting their names on the kit made by Casper Electronics so I ordered directly from Casper.

http://www.casperselectronics.com/ca...product_id=472

Not sure why it wouldn't work for your car and the only way it would cause a CEL is if they messed up the install. Get one, you'll be happy you did. I had an '01 SS that I drove in the winter and you're right, I would've been screwed a few times during dicey winter driving if I didn't have an eliminator installed.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:05 AM   #17
GTSLOW
Daily Driven 1LE

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I bought one off Amazon for my 2018 1LE SS. It threw a code...after a months I finally tried a different one. When I got the original one off it turns out the wires inside weren't even Soldered! The fricken wire was crimped inside and the crimp was not tight enough and allowed the wire to slip out...

So from my experience. Any CAGS delete will work in the 1LE SS. The CEL I experienced was due to a hardware failure.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:13 PM   #18
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
CAGS (Computer Assisted Gear Selection) first debuted on the 1990 Corvette ZR1 6 speed. Frankly it’s a godsend because it enables engineers to design and sell a car that would otherwise suffer from the federal gas guzzler tax and still be easily, cheaply, undetectably defeated by the owner. I don’t know how that’s any more of a win-win-win for everyone.

It’s worth the $12 to not have to change your shifting style that you’ve done for 25+ years.
Agree, but for me, all the manuals I've driven for the last 25 years have had CAGS so it wasn't a big deal at all.

But your point is taken.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:32 PM   #19
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Agree, but for me, all the manuals I've driven for the last 25 years have had CAGS so it wasn't a big deal at all.

But your point is taken.
I could rephrase that - it’s worth the $12 to be able to drive your manual the way it’s MEANT to be driven.... that is to say a manual is supposed to be the transmission where only the driver can select which gear to use and when
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:47 PM   #20
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
I could rephrase that - it’s worth the $12 to be able to drive your manual the way it’s MEANT to be driven.... that is to say a manual is supposed to be the transmission where only the driver can select which gear to use and when
Think of it as a reminder, from Chevy, that you are driving like an old lady.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:38 AM   #21
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
If you drive that way you deserve the pain of 1-4 shift
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:50 AM   #22
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
If you drive that way you deserve the pain of 1-4 shift
While everyone would love to let it rip through a school zone or heavy traffic, I try not to run kids over or crash into the car going 20 mph then back to a stop 2 feet in front of me
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:40 PM   #23
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
While everyone would love to let it rip through a school zone or heavy traffic, I try not to run kids over or crash into the car going 20 mph then back to a stop 2 feet in front of me
Me too!

So when we both are driving our manuals they way it’s MEANT to be driven, skip shift is a non-issue for either of us.

When granny shifting, my natural style is to shift 1st to 3rd while you prefer to -be free to- make the extra shift. No problem for either of us.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:06 PM   #24
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Op—I think phastek is your best bet.

In the first week of ownership I figured I’d get the device ASAP, but months later and Ive gotten used to it. I’ve developed two shift points in my head. One around 1800rpms for normal driving and another around 3000rpms for spirited driving. Can’t remember the last time I was blocked.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote