Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-20-2019, 08:14 AM   #1
pat_t

Drives: .
Unhappy Help! Made a stupid mistake whilst wrapping!

All,

I should know better.

I had my driver's door handle off, and then slammed the door shut without checking that I had wound the torx screw on the mechanism, accessible from the door jamb all the way back beforehand. :(

Now the trigger piece is stuck over the top of the mechanism as described here (fast forward to 2:30)

Now that guy says he resolved it, but doesn't say exactly how in the video.

Also this thread I think elbambino19 was describing the same problem, but again there is no mention of how you fix it.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525030

So any ideas how I can get the driver's door open without damaging anything? Given that I can't access the torx screw to wind it back, to allow the door catch release to unlatch??

Hope someone can help!
cheers,
Pat
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:28 AM   #2
ss_redrum

Drives: 2013 LS3 Camaro
Maybe bust the windshield out? Are the other doors unlocked?

-Previous Setup- Texas Speed 1 7/8 LT Headers, no cats, xpipe, muffler delete, K&N Cold Air Intake, tuned by DynoSteve

Youtube |Instagram
ss_redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:48 AM   #3
pat_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_redrum View Post
Maybe bust the windshield out? Are the other doors unlocked?
Don't need to go that drastic! The other doors are unlocked but being to access the inside of the driver's door is no help really, as the important bits are in the door jamb!
Old 10-20-2019, 01:29 PM   #4
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
You have the lock off now right? Like in the video. Spray some lube in there and try to grab the tip of the torx bolt with skinny needlenose pliars and rotate it back like you want. The lube on things in there, so it can move easily enough with pliars. Just a thought.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:55 PM   #5
pat_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
You have the lock off now right? Like in the video. Spray some lube in there and try to grab the tip of the torx bolt with skinny needlenose pliars and rotate it back like you want. The lube on things in there, so it can move easily enough with pliars. Just a thought.
I thought about this but there wasn't enough of the bolt showing to get a grip of.

BUT I did manage to solve it! I had to undo the other external torx bolt at the front end of the handle. This is what locates the mechanism in-between the two door skins.

Once this was loose I could move the mechanism forward enough inside the door to just about get a torx bit into the rear bolt to loosen it off and free off the trigger shaped piece.

Won't make that mistake again, 3 hours of my life I won't get back!
Old 10-20-2019, 05:22 PM   #6
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_t View Post
I thought about this but there wasn't enough of the bolt showing to get a grip of.

BUT I did manage to solve it! I had to undo the other external torx bolt at the front end of the handle. This is what locates the mechanism in-between the two door skins.

Once this was loose I could move the mechanism forward enough inside the door to just about get a torx bit into the rear bolt to loosen it off and free off the trigger shaped piece.

Won't make that mistake again, 3 hours of my life I won't get back!
Creative thinking
I wasn't closing my doors until I had everything put back together and looked like it was working when I replaced my handles with GM paint matched and chrome stripped handles. Like closing the hotel room safe and finding out it's different than the other ones and your new pin isn't working but your wallet and passport are already locked inside
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote