Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-01-2021, 10:40 AM   #1
Mikey Likes

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert...2019 F-250
Any reason not to buy??

My wife and I are looking at a 2ss vert. The deal is looking good and the car is well optioned.
Its going to be a daily driver in the NE for at least 2 years before we retire.
She has wanted a convertible for 30 years but with commuting on the interstate in NJ being suicidal and family and all that her cars have had all wheel drive and solid roofs.
Ill put 4 snows on it and if theres real snow Ill take her the 6 miles to work in my truck.
But Im concerned about the top. Hearing about windows delaminating and seals ripping with low miles and taking a mnth for a substandard repair has me second guessing.
So who is daily driving the wheels off a convertible? And is it love of hate???
By the way we know the cars. Weve rented them in Florida a bunch of times.
Just wondering over the long miles.
Mikey Likes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:56 PM   #2
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Can’t help you much. Mine is 4.5 years old but sits in the garage - sometimes under a cover.
14K miles so far all during nice weather and 90pct top down.
Great car. Top on mine looks new. Probably the typical use case for one of these.
For me it’s one of 4 cars not including my wife’s car.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:53 AM   #3
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Likes View Post
My wife and I are looking at a 2ss vert. The deal is looking good and the car is well optioned.
Its going to be a daily driver in the NE for at least 2 years before we retire.
She has wanted a convertible for 30 years but with commuting on the interstate in NJ being suicidal and family and all that her cars have had all wheel drive and solid roofs.
Ill put 4 snows on it and if theres real snow Ill take her the 6 miles to work in my truck.
But Im concerned about the top. Hearing about windows delaminating and seals ripping with low miles and taking a mnth for a substandard repair has me second guessing.
So who is daily driving the wheels off a convertible? And is it love of hate???
By the way we know the cars. Weve rented them in Florida a bunch of times.
Just wondering over the long miles.
From what I remember, the window delamination is predominantly an issue when you drive around with the top up and windows down.

For me, I bought a convertible BECAUSE it's a convertible, and my intention is to drive it only when I can put the top down. If the goal is to have a convertible, maybe consider picking up a used 3LT (these seem to be advertised as LT w/ RS package) instead of a 2SS as it will have nice options but won't have the V8. Use the price of a new 2SS to drive the price down for a used 3LT.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:02 AM   #4
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
ya - if the windows are down, the top is down for me!
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:04 AM   #5
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
From what I remember, the window delamination is predominantly an issue when you drive around with the top up and windows down.

For me, I bought a convertible BECAUSE it's a convertible, and my intention is to drive it only when I can put the top down. If the goal is to have a convertible, maybe consider picking up a used 3LT (these seem to be advertised as LT w/ RS package) instead of a 2SS as it will have nice options but won't have the V8. Use the price of a new 2SS to drive the price down for a used 3LT.
Nope. Ok, "maybe predominantly" but I have seen a lot of post like mine.

Mine was less than 5K miles, never driven top up windows down and is a 2020. Window delaminated and once it started it went fast! I had it replaced. From the time I took it to the dealer to installed was >1 week. Car was only at the dealer for 1 day.

As for the OP. I would be worried about snow/ice/weight on the top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:12 AM   #6
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Nope. Ok, "maybe predominantly" but I have seen a lot of post like mine.

Mine was less than 5K miles, never driven top up windows down and is a 2020. Window delaminated and once it started it went fast! I had it replaced. From the time I took it to the dealer to installed was >1 week. Car was only at the dealer for 1 day.

As for the OP. I would be worried about snow/ice/weight on the top.
Similar here in that it's a 2020, 3500 miles, but I -have- driven a few times with the top up as I got caught in the rain. I am planning on taking a very close look at the window later today just to be sure, though.

I agree that snow and ice on the roof would be a more primary concern. Given that the OP is in NJ, that's definitely going to be an issue. Personally, I wouldn't consider any convertible as a DD unless I lived somewhere that has no snow and a lot of sunny days.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:21 AM   #7
Mikey Likes

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert...2019 F-250
We bought it. Dont very often get heavy snow. If it looks like a big time blizzard Ill bring her to work and park in the shop.
Did get an outdoor cover. In approximately 2 years we plan to be gone but who knows.
Garage full of motorcycles, storage, and dusty weight lifting equipment.
Got extended warrantee in case.
Fran, I thought it was you who mentioned getting a kit and repairing your own window? I guess not. Id like to hear back from that guy as Im pretty good at that sort of thing if its at all possible. Seems like overkill to replace the entire top.
Thanks for all the replies!!
Mikey Likes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:03 AM   #8
lcd550

Drives: '17 2LT/RS 2.0T M6 50th Anniv Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
From what I remember, the window delamination is predominantly an issue when you drive around with the top up and windows down...
I had my top replaced twice for the delamination issue within 6 months (if I recall correctly).
I never drive with windows down, top up!
lcd550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:14 PM   #9
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Likes View Post
We bought it. Dont very often get heavy snow. If it looks like a big time blizzard Ill bring her to work and park in the shop.
Did get an outdoor cover. In approximately 2 years we plan to be gone but who knows.
Garage full of motorcycles, storage, and dusty weight lifting equipment.
Got extended warrantee in case.
Fran, I thought it was you who mentioned getting a kit and repairing your own window? I guess not. Id like to hear back from that guy as Im pretty good at that sort of thing if its at all possible. Seems like overkill to replace the entire top.
Thanks for all the replies!!
There's a thread somewhere where someone posted that a local shop was able to just replace the window. Congrats on the vert!
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:01 PM   #10
WldchrySS

Drives: 2021 camaro ss
Congrats. Ours is a dd for my wife. Only 800 miles so far. She hardly drives it.lol! You’ll definitely want another set of tires and rims for it. Factory tires are no bueno in really cold weather. No garage here but it’s under a carport under a cover. Enjoy! It’s a blast to drive.
Oh yeah! Another vote for top down windows down any other time is heat or ac.
WldchrySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:37 PM   #11
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
First big snow with the vert in the driveway...Under a tarp. Tied through the middle. Friday the winds were blowing hard and the front of the tarp blew off and back to the trunk. Now I have clamps holding it to the front wheels and everything's tight.
The wife is working from home Monday Tuesday. Shes going to keep the heavy snow from accumulating on the roof. Ill be gone as I manage a municipal Public Works Dept... so Im actually packed and leaving now as an inch has fallen. With 18 inches likely.
This is definitely NOT why we bought a Camaro....
Looking forward to the times we DID buy it for....
Old 01-31-2021, 01:46 PM   #12
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post
First big snow with the vert in the driveway...Under a tarp. Tied through the middle. Friday the winds were blowing hard and the front of the tarp blew off and back to the trunk. Now I have clamps holding it to the front wheels and everything's tight.
The wife is working from home Monday Tuesday. Shes going to keep the heavy snow from accumulating on the roof. Ill be gone as I manage a municipal Public Works Dept... so Im actually packed and leaving now as an inch has fallen. With 18 inches likely.
This is definitely NOT why we bought a Camaro....
Looking forward to the times we DID buy it for....
I hope that you don't run into any issues with it being covered in heavy winds. Car covers work best indoors when nothing is causing them to rub against the paint...
Old 01-31-2021, 03:10 PM   #13
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
yea...kind of feel like theres no choice. I have it held pretty tight. theres over an inch on it now as Im about to leave. Im hoping the snow will help with that.
We knew it would be a drag not having room in the garage. The wife is going to keep the roof clear of real heavy snow. I have a neighbor who leaves a Mustang convertible just parked out in the street 12 months a year.
Back in the 70s I had 2 convertible Vetts that I daily drove. They leaked. But not always even the roof. My 69 leaked on my clutch foot...
Im not liking this but well see. Last year we barely had 3" all season. 2 more winters and well bo out of here anyway....
Old 01-31-2021, 04:05 PM   #14
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post
yea...kind of feel like theres no choice. I have it held pretty tight. theres over an inch on it now as Im about to leave. Im hoping the snow will help with that.
We knew it would be a drag not having room in the garage. The wife is going to keep the roof clear of real heavy snow. I have a neighbor who leaves a Mustang convertible just parked out in the street 12 months a year.
Back in the 70s I had 2 convertible Vetts that I daily drove. They leaked. But not always even the roof. My 69 leaked on my clutch foot...
Im not liking this but well see. Last year we barely had 3" all season. 2 more winters and well bo out of here anyway....
Sounds like your doing everything right. I do the same thing with my mustang. I also make sure it has a good coat of wax on it before covering up. After almost 2 full winter seasons, there's just a few micro / wear scratch marks at some sharp edges. Easy enough to buff out.

There is one thing I will caution you about, only because I didn't think of myself. Keep your car from under trees, if at all possible, when the snow and more likely ice begins to drop, (sometimes branches too) your car will be bombarded. I have very 4 small dings that need to be repaired because of it. Just figured I'd mention it.

I also have 3 king size fuzzy comforters "on standby" to run over the top and the sides of the car, which overlap the full length. These get placed under the car cover to protect against hail damage ( when there's some advanced warning).
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote