Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-14-2017, 12:31 PM   #1
exxit

Drives: 2016 1SS D1SC Methfed Lowered Wrapd
Will a polish heal road rash?

Hey gents!

Looks like im getting close to the one year mark, and all the highway driving I do has taken its toll on my windshield and the front end. The front end is completely peppered in little pain blemishes (nothing crazy but definitely strike marks from tiny rocks and such). I don't feel like painting the bumper since some of the plastic as the same crap on it anyway... but I was wondering if, since most don't look like they made it past the paint, would a polish heal these? I was thinking of polishing the surface first, then touching up with dr.colorchip (works so damn well) and then waxing over it.

also, tiny tiny pit marks on the windshield as well. Will a polish heal those, or should I look into a resin option just to fill them.

I guess if I'm to really care about this, i'd get the bumper repainted and the windshield changed... but I'd rather spend the money on boost and tires
exxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Polish won't hide shotgun blast. But your idea of polish, dr color chip (wait 30 days) then wax, will work well.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:54 PM   #3
exxit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Polish won't hide shotgun blast. But your idea of polish, dr color chip (wait 30 days) then wax, will work well.
Glen,

Thanks for the response! I'm going to brush up on my polishing and spend a sunday taking care of this.

Any good spots for me to start as far as safe technique goes? I'll likely rent the tools if not just buy a decent unit for myself.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polisher.html
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:22 PM   #5
exxit

Thanks a bunch!
Old 02-14-2017, 02:45 PM   #6
Slem

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS (Auto) Loaded
Quote:
Originally Posted by exxit View Post
Hey gents!

Looks like im getting close to the one year mark, and all the highway driving I do has taken its toll on my windshield and the front end. The front end is completely peppered in little pain blemishes (nothing crazy but definitely strike marks from tiny rocks and such). I don't feel like painting the bumper since some of the plastic as the same crap on it anyway... but I was wondering if, since most don't look like they made it past the paint, would a polish heal these? I was thinking of polishing the surface first, then touching up with dr.colorchip (works so damn well) and then waxing over it.

also, tiny tiny pit marks on the windshield as well. Will a polish heal those, or should I look into a resin option just to fill them.

I guess if I'm to really care about this, i'd get the bumper repainted and the windshield changed... but I'd rather spend the money on boost and tires
For your windshield the only thing you can use to polish it is Cerium Oxide and a special pad, it's very hard to do in tying to remove millions of pit marks, also you need to be carful not to create to much heat on your windshield as it's laminated film could distort. Also it's extremely messy using Cerium Oxide as you need to make a slurry or thin paste when applying it. It might be easier to drive it until you can't stand it anymore and then have it replaced. Maybe for now try a filler.
Slem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #7
exxit

I have been reading up on that, I may give it a shot. There really isn't a way to protect it... The 5 north here in california is just ****ed, nothing i can do about it sadly. I'll report back on how the buff/colorchip and windshield polish go when i get a chance to do it.

Thanks for the responses gents!
Old 02-17-2017, 11:39 AM   #8
2016SS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
Dr colour chip works wonders makes me regret ever using the brush or the pen method.

Glen knows his stuff you won't be disappointed I only had 2 chips but I can't find them now. That says something.
2016 Camaro 2SS Summit built 3/28/16 delivered
2018 Camaro ZL1 cancelled by GM 😡
2019 Corvette 2lt Z51
2016SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #9
SixgenSix

Drives: 2020 SHOCK SS 1LE
I'd look into having the front clip re-painted if necessary and then have a paint protection film installed on the rock chip prone areas. Especially considering you do a lot of highway driving.
SixgenSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:17 PM   #10
GM Lifer

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS in Red Hot
I wanted to get the clear film on the front of my car when it was brand new last May, but didn't. After picking up (and fixing) a handful of nicks, I finally pulled the trigger a couple of weeks ago. Got the nose covered, as well as the headlamps, mirrors and the front 18" of the hood. Now I'm also noticing I get little pits where the body flares out just aft of the doors, but those are low enough down that your eye doesn't catch them.
GM Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote