Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-22-2021, 09:54 PM   #1
RaycinSS

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Z/28 Brakes, Pads, Sensors , Specifications Help

When searching here for help with the factory brakes there are a few threads with some good info but not too many considering the amount of experience that is represented here on the forum. I'm starting this thread with the hopes of getting more answers about brakes in one place.

The Z/28 factory brakes are outstanding. Owners that don't track their cars probably haven't needed to deal with them yet but I believe more will be needing to now that age and miles are increasing.

I've probably got more questions than answers but I've been doing some digging thanks to my recent "Brakes Worn" message on my dash and want to have a place we can discuss problems and solutions we are finding because it looks like GM has already abandoned us with many parts being discontinued and very few dealerships that know the Z/28 well.

I will follow up shortly with a few posts to get this going so please feel free to reply with anything brake related here. Thanks!
RaycinSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:20 PM   #2
RaycinSS

One of the first things I'd like to discuss is the OEM brake pad part numbers and possible interchangeable part numbers.

It looks like the OEM front brake pads part number 22990624 has now been replaced by part number 23284028

The pads come with the wear sensors, however I am being told that the new part number are the same pads used on Corvette Z06's and that the sensors are for those cars and will not plug into the Camaro's leaving us with an option for pad replacement but not a plug in sensor option. I'm hoping someone here can confirm this?

With that being said it looks like the sensors are physically the same where they snap into the pad but maybe a different length of wire and connector attached. I'm also hoping to learn whether or not the sensors can be spliced onto the original sensors plug and work fine or the possibility of ordering Z06 connectors to put on the car side if this is going to be the only pads and sensors going forward.

I'd also like to confirm if other GM Carbon Ceramic brake pad part numbers such as 171-1010 which I believe is from Corvette ZR1 will still work or not? I believe it is basically the same pads with just a different sensor therefore a different GM part number containing the same basic pads though.

The reason I want to know is because there are different prices for some of these and if the only difference is the sensor and someone wants to reuse their old ones they may be able to save big dollars on the OEM pads.

Example I found was part number 23284028 for $605.00 and 171-1010 for $388.52 and I believe both are the same Brembo pads made by TEXTAR but hoping someone here can confirm?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2021, 11:05 PM   #3
RaycinSS

How about some discussion on brake pad wear sensors and plugs. For those like myself that had not previously dealt with the wear sensors here's a picture of the wear sensor installed on the brake pad via a small clip and a picture of the sensor and the wire loop inside. Best I can tell is there is just a loop of wire inside the plastic that will wear through and cause an open circuit when the pad wears down to the point it will contact the rotor. As you can see in this picture the sensor is still far below the pad so there should not be an indication on the dash at this point because the wire loop is still intact. Someone please chime in if I have this wrong.

My particular issue I am chasing is the "Brakes Worn" indicator has been coming on which I believe should not happen until there is between 2mm and 3mm pad remaining but my pads are all 7mm plus remaining and all 4 of my sensors appear to be untouched so I'm thinking I have a wire with an open for an unknown reason or a connection failing
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2021, 11:16 PM   #4
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaycinSS View Post
One of the first things I'd like to discuss is the OEM brake pad part numbers and possible interchangeable part numbers.

It looks like the OEM front brake pads part number 22990624 has now been replaced by part number 23284028

The pads come with the wear sensors, however I am being told that the new part number are the same pads used on Corvette Z06's and that the sensors are for those cars and will not plug into the Camaro's leaving us with an option for pad replacement but not a plug in sensor option. I'm hoping someone here can confirm this?

With that being said it looks like the sensors are physically the same where they snap into the pad but maybe a different length of wire and connector attached. I'm also hoping to learn whether or not the sensors can be spliced onto the original sensors plug and work fine or the possibility of ordering Z06 connectors to put on the car side if this is going to be the only pads and sensors going forward.

I'd also like to confirm if other GM Carbon Ceramic brake pad part numbers such as 171-1010 which I believe is from Corvette ZR1 will still work or not? I believe it is basically the same pads with just a different sensor therefore a different GM part number containing the same basic pads though.

The reason I want to know is because there are different prices for some of these and if the only difference is the sensor and someone wants to reuse their old ones they may be able to save big dollars on the OEM pads.

Example I found was part number 23284028 for $605.00 and 171-1010 for $388.52 and I believe both are the same Brembo pads made by TEXTAR but hoping someone here can confirm?

Thanks
I responded to you on the other thread as well.
Correct. Replace pads before sensors wear( dash light comes on) and no need to replace sensor harness, unless the sensor “tab” is brittle and falls into pieces when trying to pull it out. The Z28 front sensor harness is longer than the Z06 and has the same wheel well connectors,EXCEPT they are reversed. Meaning the male connector on the body harness side is actually on the Z28 brake pad sensor harness side. So you’d need to keep your old harness and splice the longer wire with your old connector onto the new Z06 brake sensor harness. I had come up with just keeping the old pad harness connector. Soldiering the 2 wires together and plugging it into the body harness plug to make a dummy plug. Light goes out and now you gotta check pads the old fashion way. Manually.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:26 PM   #5
RaycinSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
I responded to you on the other thread as well.
Correct. Replace pads before sensors wear( dash light comes on) and no need to replace sensor harness, unless the sensor “tab” is brittle and falls into pieces when trying to pull it out. The Z28 front sensor harness is longer than the Z06 and has the same wheel well connectors,EXCEPT they are reversed. Meaning the male connector on the body harness side is actually on the Z28 brake pad sensor harness side. So you’d need to keep your old harness and splice the longer wire with your old connector onto the new Z06 brake sensor harness. I had come up with just keeping the old pad harness connector. Soldiering the 2 wires together and plugging it into the body harness plug to make a dummy plug. Light goes out and now you gotta check pads the old fashion way. Manually.
Thanks, you have touched on my next issue. With the expense of the rotors I really like the idea of the warning light just in case. I'm going to try and find a way to keep mine although I ruined my LF sensor trying to unclip it, as you stated they become very brittle. I'm going to share pics of the car harness side of the connector because I screwed that up too thanks to taking the sensor out and not realizing the plug was near the headers (don't laugh too hard) rookie mistake on my part. I'd really like to have or at least see some pics of the C7 harness and plugs so I can see if I want to just change all 4 of my car side harness connectors to accept the C7 sensors unless the length will be an issue. I'm hoping to find a solution that will not involve cutting and splicing. Maybe just pulling the pins from the old connector and putting in a different connector if they are close enough to the same?
Old 07-22-2021, 11:26 PM   #6
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
How about some discussion on brake pad wear sensors and plugs. For those like myself that had not previously dealt with the wear sensors here's a picture of the wear sensor installed on the brake pad via a small clip and a picture of the sensor and the wire loop inside. Best I can tell is there is just a loop of wire inside the plastic that will wear through and cause an open circuit when the pad wears down to the point it will contact the rotor. As you can see in this picture the sensor is still far below the pad so there should not be an indication on the dash at this point because the wire loop is still intact. Someone please chime in if I have this wrong.

My particular issue I am chasing is the "Brakes Worn" indicator has been coming on which I believe should not happen until there is between 2mm and 3mm pad remaining but my pads are all 7mm plus remaining and all 4 of my sensors appear to be untouched so I'm thinking I have a wire with an open for an unknown reason or a connection failing
If your harnesses check out(continuity check) then they are more valuable than the corvette harness. I’ll explain;
The corvette harness has the incorrect connector to plug into our Z28 body harness. And, it’s much shorter with the plastic tabs located in the incorrect positions along the harness. So it’s best to find your problem sensor harness via continuity check or visual check and simply solder the broken wire back together. Sounds simple but never seems to end up that way.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:36 PM   #7
RaycinSS

So here is what not to do. This pic is the drivers side front sensor car harness side connector. I removed the sensor to examine and try to check with a multi meter and didn't notice this was hanging down too close to the headers. I've also include a pic with the connector part number visible for future reference.

My current plan to repair is to try and get the connector sourced and just pull the pink locking tab out, pull the pins and insert into new connector pack without splicing if possible. I think this connector may be used by GM on other vehicles in different applications and might be available. Fingers crossed.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2021, 11:39 PM   #8
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Thanks, you have touched on my next issue. With the expense of the rotors I really like the idea of the warning light just in case. I'm going to try and find a way to keep mine although I ruined my LF sensor trying to unclip it, as you stated they become very brittle. I'm going to share pics of the car harness side of the connector because I screwed that up too thanks to taking the sensor out and not realizing the plug was near the headers (don't laugh too hard) rookie mistake on my part. I'd really like to have or at least see some pics of the C7 harness and plugs so I can see if I want to just change all 4 of my car side harness connectors to accept the C7 sensors unless the length will be an issue. I'm hoping to find a solution that will not involve cutting and splicing. Maybe just pulling the pins from the old connector and putting in a different connector if they are close enough to the same?
I make rookie mistakes daily, and seem not to learn from years past. I just ran over a tree root with mower and exploded one of the blade spindles. Only 2 left in country and I’ve gotta pick it up tomorrow. Luckily only 3 hr drive. I seem to own everything that doesn’t support product parts. Guess I need to start buying foreign products instead of “American made” from China.
I digress.
I wanted to keep everything as factory as possible so I only wanted to get original harness or just dummy plug it to not get the light. I have those corvette harnesses buried and need to dig them out to see why I didn’t just replace the sensor tab at the end of my Z28 harness. My wires might have been worn through or as brittle as the tab.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:47 PM   #9
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
So here is what not to do. This pic is the drivers side front sensor car harness side connector. I removed the sensor to examine and try to check with a multi meter and didn't notice this was hanging down too close to the headers. I've also include a pic with the connector part number visible for future reference.

My current plan to repair is to try and get the connector sourced and just pull the pink locking tab out, pull the pins and insert into new connector pack without splicing if possible. I think this connector may be used by GM on other vehicles in different applications and might be available. Fingers crossed.
Pics of corvette harness. I apologize to corvette fans of I get the wrong rpo codes for carbon rotors. I believe it’s ZR1 or Z06 with C07(carbon ceramic brakes).
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2021, 11:49 PM   #10
RaycinSS

Quote:
If your harnesses check out(continuity check) then they are more valuable than the corvette harness. I’ll explain;
The corvette harness has the incorrect connector to plug into our Z28 body harness. And, it’s much shorter with the plastic tabs located in the incorrect positions along the harness. So it’s best to find your problem sensor harness via continuity check or visual check and simply solder the broken wire back together. Sounds simple but never seems to end up that way.
I'm in the process of trying to find the harness problem, however as you mentioned sounds simple haha. All but the drivers side front are a real pain to get to. I think the weak link is going to be the sensors on the ends of the harness and we will all eventually need to change those ends due to heat and getting brittle. I'm also looking into some sensors that are showing available for the rears on Rock Auto and when you go to the manufacturers web site they show to have an application for the front but I don't know if they really work. Hoping someone here can confirm.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:51 PM   #11
RaycinSS

Does anyone know if any of the diagnostic scan tools will report which sensor position is setting off the dash message? Would save me a lot of time chasing down the bad wire/sensor.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:53 PM   #12
RaycinSS

Quote:
Pics of corvette harness. I apologize to corvette fans of I get the wrong rpo codes for carbon rotors. I believe it’s ZR1 or Z06 with C07(carbon ceramic brakes).
Great stuff for the thread. Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-22-2021, 11:53 PM   #13
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
I'm in the process of trying to find the harness problem, however as you mentioned sounds simple haha. All but the drivers side front are a real pain to get to. I think the weak link is going to be the sensors on the ends of the harness and we will all eventually need to change those ends due to heat and getting brittle. I'm also looking into some sensors that are showing available for the rears on Rock Auto and when you go to the manufacturers web site they show to have an application for the front but I don't know if they really work. Hoping someone here can confirm.
I found the rears can be had but had issues finding genuine fronts. Maybe that’s changed now. But I do know GM or ACdelco does not offer either sensor harness separate.
I hate how they call it a sensor. It’s just a puck that wire loops through that when opens by getting worn from rotor, opens the circuit and turns dash light on.

Edit: just looked at front harness on rock auto. Those are worth a shot for ~$30. Good on them.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:59 PM   #14
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Does anyone know if any of the diagnostic scan tools will report which sensor position is setting off the dash message? Would save me a lot of time chasing down the bad wire/sensor.
Nope, unless a higher end does. But that means trip to the dealer and they’ll F something else up and charge you $100+ to tell you it’s 1 of your brake sensors. Then try to sell you a set of front pads for $1k when they can get some in next year.
Almost makes one look at the electric F-150, that would only be to replace my Silverado. Not getting rid of the Z28.

I’ve got some great dealer stories