Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-12-2018, 10:56 PM   #15
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I learned about "axle-back" exhausts when I had my WRX. I'm not into cosmetic stuff for the most part. The NPP sounds really good for a stock car and any more and it would just be annoying as a daily driver. I'm not into trying to have the loudest car, I'm over that kind of stuff. It's great that it sounds good when I start it, get on the gas, downshift, etc., and that's fine. Most people do not think the person roaring down the street with the loudest exhaust is totally-awesome-supercool, they usually think they're an a-hole for having such an obnoxious exhaust. Sometimes it's a diesel truck, sometimes it's a sports-car, etc.

Headers/pipes and the entire system? That's where you "upgrade" with aftermarket exhaust.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:23 PM   #16
internationlriders

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I feel like all the after market exhaust does aside from sounding great is draw unwanted attention. When I go fast I don't want to be heard for blocks away alerting any cop on the side streets. Stealth mode all the way, go faster not louder..
internationlriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:51 PM   #17
Hyper RS

Drives: '19 Corvette Stingray Convertible
If I had the NPP optional exhaust on my SS Convertible...I would have left things alone and been satisfied. However, I had the standard exhaust and although it sounded very good on cold startups.....it was way too quiet afterwards. I went with a Borla ATAK axleback and now the car sounds great without sounding obnoxious. No drone at cruising and very aggressive sounding when you step on it. Especially like it when downshifting with rev match (6M).
Old 03-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #18
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post
You guys saying the NPP is loud enough are completely missing my point here...you THINK it's loud enough, but then you get a new exhaust and you realize how quiet it truly was. Maybe you can't understand until you make the switch.
I think you need to understand a couple of things as well. Try.

Not everybody else is going to hold the same judgment of what is loud enough or too quiet that you do. Basically, what you think is too quiet (for yourself) is loud enough for others. Maybe even too loud. It's exactly the same thing as why some of your neighbors may not mind any given person's car having a louder-than-stock exhaust and others will hate them for it.

This isn't the 1960's, when you couldn't get a more free-flowing exhaust without ending up with a much louder one (unless, perhaps, you knew about the Corvair turbo mufflers). Power gains from axle-backs these days are not what they used to be, so really all you're getting out of it is a big helping of "LOOK AT ME, I THINK I've got a race car".

Norm
Old 03-13-2018, 09:52 AM   #19
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
I love my OEM NPP.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #20
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I know what loud is and the NPP with fuse pulled sounds perfect. I have a heads/cam LS6 4th gen with a full Kooks exhaust that has bullet race mufflers and no cats. If I want LOUD then I get that car out.

Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #21
MrRuss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
I know what loud is and the NPP with fuse pulled sounds perfect. I have a heads/cam LS6 4th gen with a full Kooks exhaust that has bullet race mufflers and no cats. If I want LOUD then I get that car out.
My car also has the NPP. What is the "fuse pulled" thing? Sorry for the noob question...

Tim "the tool man" Taylor is my hero

My Garage:
'16 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS, Summit White, Adrenaline Red
-- Rotofab CAI, Soler TB, 1 7/8 coated LT's, Full 3" mids, 3" Stainless Works NPP mufflers, Flex Fuel, E85/91 tuned
'20 Honda Oddysey Elite 25th Anniversary Edition
--wifes car, she said "No more SUV's" after the 2 CX-9's totaled
MrRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #22
Navigator

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRuss View Post
My car also has the NPP. What is the "fuse pulled" thing? Sorry for the noob question...
Pull fuse 51 and it deactivates the exhaust valves so your exhaust is fully open all the time. Very similar to track mode, but with more drone at cruising speeds on the highway. I didn't notice any benefit on acceleration/deceleration with the fuse pulled, so I put it back in. I enjoy having it quieter when I'm cruising at 80 on the highway.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:55 PM   #23
bdavies11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx9rmal View Post
I dunno. I get a nice cruising drone with the NPP in track mode.
Must be something wrong with your NPP. The valves close when cruising, even in track mode, unless you pull the fuse. You should have no drone with the valves closed.
bdavies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:18 PM   #24
retmil

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry SS
I pulled the fuse on my '17SS w/NPP and no drone at highway speeds.
retmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #25
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
I’m good for now. Unless you want to buy one for me?
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:48 PM   #26
MrRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
Pull fuse 51 and it deactivates the exhaust valves so your exhaust is fully open all the time. Very similar to track mode, but with more drone at cruising speeds on the highway. I didn't notice any benefit on acceleration/deceleration with the fuse pulled, so I put it back in. I enjoy having it quieter when I'm cruising at 80 on the highway.
I might try it. I rarely drive the highway and am only 6 miles from work on suburban streets.

- How about deactivating the cylinder deactivation?
- Seat memory buttons "one touch" instead of "press and hold".

Tim "the tool man" Taylor is my hero

My Garage:
'16 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS, Summit White, Adrenaline Red
-- Rotofab CAI, Soler TB, 1 7/8 coated LT's, Full 3" mids, 3" Stainless Works NPP mufflers, Flex Fuel, E85/91 tuned
'20 Honda Oddysey Elite 25th Anniversary Edition
--wifes car, she said "No more SUV's" after the 2 CX-9's totaled
MrRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:07 PM   #27
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
I recently put on a stainless works axleback that's npp compatible. The sound is a little louder, but not by leaps and bounds like everyone says. It has alot more bass to it now. I kept the secondary cats for obvious reasons. Honestly, getting rid of your cats is what makes any car super loud. A muffler alone won't make a car loud, imo.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:27 PM   #28
Oldfart

Drives: Silverado, V-70 R
Quote:
Originally Posted by internationlriders View Post
When I go fast I don't want to be heard for blocks away alerting any cop on the side streets. Stealth mode all the way, go faster not louder..
This^ I live in a very rural area so there aren't too many roads. I am friends with many of the local cops (most are motorheads and gun nuts like me) and they've already been in my driveway talking and we are laughing at the fact that you could tell from the sound what gear someone is in and get a pretty good guess as to how fast they are going from a mile or more away. I think the sport bikes carry the farthest. If they wanted to be pricks it would be very easy to radio another car to pull someone over. You don't have to be a genius to know someone is seriously speeding when you hear them wind out 3 gears where the speed limit is 45.
Oldfart is offline   Reply With Quote