Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #15
Deadmau5

Drives: 2015 procharged mustang gt
Mine works fine with no issues I've been over 160 in it

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Deadmau5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:00 PM   #16
SDMARO4482

Drives: 2017 NFG ZL1 M6
I haven't had any issues with denting in my 17 ZL1 either. You would need the right combination of the front canards and spoiler for down-force and be haulin ass to really create that kind of pressure.
SDMARO4482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:44 AM   #17
FoundNemo

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45LongColt View Post
I swapped my ZL1 with a GM Original 1le rear wing. A couple things worth noting.

The trunk holes align perfectly, but the base of the le1 wing support does not match the location of the original ZL1 spoiler. This is where it sits on the trunk deck. It is a much smaller base footprint and the two furthest supports are angled pointing outward over pointing straight ahead.

Getting the nuts off the old spoiler are pretty easy. Socket/driver for the two outside supports, but the middle support actually requires a open ended wrench due to the location and limited space. Word of caution, don't drop the nuts into the truck deck cavity.

Don't worry about the original spoiler falling off the trunk while taking off the nuts from underneith as the 3M adhesive between the spoiler base and trunk surface is ridiculously strong. Which brings me to my next bullet.

The 3M gorilla adhesive is insanely strong. So strong, doubt the bolts are actually holding anything in place. You can not just pull the old spoiler off the trunk deck. You have to separate the bond from the deck lid to have any hopes of getting it off. I highly recommend plastic trim tools and goo-gone. Need to use both to lift a little, spray goo-gone, lift a little more, more goo-gone... repeat again and again. Do not force it as I can see how you could easily dent or bend in your deck lid. This step was BY FAR the longest and most pain staking part of the process.

Couldn't find any instructions on the trunk latch cover removal, but after examining it for about 5 minutes found out it just pulls right off as it is just a snap on plastic cover.

Not sure about others, but my deck lid was actually scratched and dented under the 3M adhesive. Never could tell while the ZL1 spoiler was on as the bases are large and covered a big portion of the area. But with the 1le wing, the bases are much smaller and pointed in a different location so the scratches and dent are now visible with the new wing installed.

Tighten the furthest bolts, the ones closest to the rear window first. This is important as the 1le Wing bases are a little longer and pointier at that end and if you don't, it will stick up a bit off the trunk deck.

Do not over tighten the bolts. I tell you, the adhesive is so darn strong, I'm not sure the bolts are even needed... seriously... besides that, if you over tighten, you will certainly buckle in the deck lid in the base area.

I recommend scratch remover, polish and goo-gone to clean up the deck lid after removal as there will be some noticeable area from the old spoiler bases.

I took a trip to PA and back last week. Put over 650 miles on the car and for the most part, was highway driving at 80 mph with the occasional 100 mph dashed up the mountains. When I got back I checked the deck for issue as well as the wing for security and found zero problems. Did not cause any buckling or denting or anything else people seem to be claiming on here due to a non reinforced truck deck.

Would I do it again? Not sure. The cost of the OEM GM Wing is very steep, time to install was about an hour and a half... an hour just to remove the damn adhesive. The foot print not matching really ticked me off as well as finding a dent and scratches under the much larger support base.

Overall improvement in appearance.... priceless!!!

Did yours have the backup camera in the spoiler? Just wondering if thats a pita or not to get unhooked and remove with it.
FoundNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:22 AM   #18
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
MY19 is the first year to have the camera in the spoiler.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:24 AM   #19
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Kinda surprised the OP didn't say anything about the plastic clips that are located on the outboard sides of the ZL1 spoiler.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote