Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-15-2018, 08:23 AM   #5237
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Fen whats the deal with the ATS? Are they really that bad or did the few people that had problems complain everywhere? I'm looking at buying a used Sedan in the 18,000$ range and the ATS was high on my list till I did some looking. Looks like I should stick with the 3.6L?(Which is what I wanted to begin with) I drove a 14 V6 yesterday and it seemed pretty nice. The price just seems pathetically low which is a win for me, but my Camaro is holding value better which surprises me... I'm looking at 14'-15' ATS's with only 20,000 miles on the odometer. Whoever bought these didn't drive them much.

I'd love to have a Chevy SS, but they haven't creeped down in price enough. And I need a vehicle now. :(
I know you asked Fen, so I hope you and he do not mind me taking a swing at this. What’s the deal with the ATS? Nothing. Some customers complain about the rear seat accommodation, but considering it is targeted to compete directly with BMW 3-Series, which also has its share of rear seat complaints....

What is happening with ATS is it is being replaced by an evolutionary product that will not carry the same name. To some of the press, particularly the broader press that is NOT car-centric, “Cadillac is dropping the ATS”. To those pressers who dig just a little deeper...”Cadillac is discontinuing the ATS that is built on the Alpha architecture. Its replacement will be a new vehicle, following the new Cadillac naming convention. This replacement is expected to be built off of the improved Alpha 2 architecture”
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:31 AM   #5238
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Fen whats the deal with the ATS? Are they really that bad or did the few people that had problems complain everywhere? I'm looking at buying a used Sedan in the 18,000$ range and the ATS was high on my list till I did some looking. Looks like I should stick with the 3.6L?(Which is what I wanted to begin with) I drove a 14 V6 yesterday and it seemed pretty nice. The price just seems pathetically low which is a win for me, but my Camaro is holding value better which surprises me... I'm looking at 14'-15' ATS's with only 20,000 miles on the odometer. Whoever bought these didn't drive them much.

I'd love to have a Chevy SS, but they haven't creeped down in price enough. And I need a vehicle now. :(

Nothing's wrong with it really. It's just a luxury car and luxury cars depreciate like hell to begin with, plus ATS has found its way into rental fleets which never helps resale value.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:45 AM   #5239
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Nothing's wrong with it really. It's just a luxury car and luxury cars depreciate like hell to begin with, plus ATS has found its way into rental fleets which never helps resale value.
And Fen answers the REAL question while I go get another cup of coffee and work on my reading comprehension skills.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:58 AM   #5240
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Thanks for the comments guys. I guess I just expected a Caddy to hold it's value a little better than that. Saw a lot of complaints on the 2.0T, something about piston failure, and the Cue/touchscreen was garbage. I just noticed the CTS's are in the same price range as well for used. Looks like I'm gonna drive one of those today as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
The SS is not going to creep down in price anytime soon in my opinion. Its like a rare jewel now...like a Pontiac G8 GXP. Look at the prices on those things. The SS is going to remain a highly valuable car.

A part of me wishes I'd have found a good slightly used model, or gotten one of those killer red tag deals on a new SS instead of my Camaro SS back when I got it....if it had the LT1 instead of the LS3, and/or slightly more aggressive or unique styling I'd really be kicking my own butt right now.
This is the cheapest SS I've found. Honestly tempting, but I know I won't drive this during the winter. And I'd be stuck with the same problem. I need a sporty 4 door that I just won't care about melting slowly over time with salt. Just trying to get the newest thing I can without spending a fortune because I know what cars look like after a few winters. :( My old winter beater has rusted apart. Luckily I work with a good company and they are letting me use the company truck till I get a vehicle figured out.

Any other suggestions are welcomed in my price range. Prefer something with all wheel drive.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:54 AM   #5241

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Thanks for the comments guys. I guess I just expected a Caddy to hold it's value a little better than that. Saw a lot of complaints on the 2.0T, something about piston failure, and the Cue/touchscreen was garbage. I just noticed the CTS's are in the same price range as well for used. Looks like I'm gonna drive one of those today as well.

This is the cheapest SS I've found. Honestly tempting, but I know I won't drive this during the winter. And I'd be stuck with the same problem. I need a sporty 4 door that I just won't care about melting slowly over time with salt. Just trying to get the newest thing I can without spending a fortune because I know what cars look like after a few winters. :( My old winter beater has rusted apart. Luckily I work with a good company and they are letting me use the company truck till I get a vehicle figured out.

Any other suggestions are welcomed in my price range. Prefer something with all wheel drive.
Go Impala...lol...Good reviews, FWD, 6cyl, plenty of room and probably plenty cheap for newer used ones! Good luck...

Name:  impala2.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  91.9 KB

Sorry, can't pass up a chance to post one of my Impala pics....lol....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:36 AM   #5242
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Forgot about Impalas, I'll take a look.

EDIT: That's got to be one of the ugliest steering wheels in the business.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:39 AM   #5243
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
And Fen answers the REAL question while I go get another cup of coffee and work on my reading comprehension skills.
:v...
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:40 PM   #5244
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Go Impala...lol...Good reviews, FWD, 6cyl, plenty of room and probably plenty cheap for newer used ones! Good luck...

Attachment 935844

Sorry, can't pass up a chance to post one of my Impala pics....lol....
I agree, Impala’s are beautiful cars, well equipped and very comfortable. You can find them fairly cheap right now too. I had a 2014 LTZ. Only reason we got rid of it was after my mother in law passed away we no longer needed it. Sometimes I regret it though.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #5245
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
I was exploring ATS as well I guess great minds think a like..
Old 05-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #5246
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:

XTS? Everyone likes to dump on it because it's supposedly reminiscent of the "old GM's Cadillac" just because it's FWD based, but it's an excellent car.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #5247
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
I'm looking at buying a used Sedan in the 18,000$ range

I was going to buy an SS once upon a time, I just couldn't justify the cost... then I started looking at G8 GXP's, almost pulled the trigger on one for about the same cost as that cheapest SS you found... So I guess that tells you the GXP and maybe the SS also, will hold its value decently in theory.

I finally settled on an 08 G8 GT... It wasn't a manual transmission like the GXP or SS i wanted, but the cost was justifiable. I paid 16,650 private party for my first G8 GT about 3 years ago with 72k miles on it. I sold it a month ago for 14k with just under 100k miles on it. Paid the loan off on the car, and had about 8k left in my pocket. I just picked up another 08 G8 GT last week for $6500 w/ 132k on it, but only 30k on a brand new engine. drives like a dream, its a total cream puff too

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is if you like the SS, consider a G8 GT, you can get one of the lower mileage ones for your price range, buddy of mine just paid 18k for a 09 with 60k miles on it. With the money you'll save on the G8 GT vs the GXP or SS, you can spend some cash on mods and make it just as fast, or faster if you're into that kind of thing. That's how I was able to justify it lol
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:08 PM   #5248
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs2lt View Post
I was exploring ATS as well I guess great minds think a like..
For sure I test drove the heck out of a 15' yesterday with only 23,000 miles. Only wanted 17k for it. Seemed like a good car. I'm just trying to weed out the lemons and increase my chances of getting one that lasts. Also eyeing CTS's now since they are going for around the same. But I like something a little smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
XTS? Everyone likes to dump on it because it's supposedly reminiscent of the "old GM's Cadillac" just because it's FWD based, but it's an excellent car.
I'll look at some XTS's. FWD won't be bad for winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
I was going to buy an SS once upon a time, I just couldn't justify the cost... then I started looking at G8 GXP's, almost pulled the trigger on one for about the same cost as that cheapest SS you found... So I guess that tells you the GXP and maybe the SS also, will hold its value decently in theory.

I finally settled on an 08 G8 GT... It wasn't a manual transmission like the GXP or SS i wanted, but the cost was justifiable. I paid 16,650 private party for my first G8 GT about 3 years ago with 72k miles on it. I sold it a month ago for 14k with just under 100k miles on it. Paid the loan off on the car, and had about 8k left in my pocket. I just picked up another 08 G8 GT last week for $6500 w/ 132k on it, but only 30k on a brand new engine. drives like a dream, its a total cream puff too

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is if you like the SS, consider a G8 GT, you can get one of the lower mileage ones for your price range, buddy of mine just paid 18k for a 09 with 60k miles on it. With the money you'll save on the G8 GT vs the GXP or SS, you can spend some cash on mods and make it just as fast, or faster if you're into that kind of thing. That's how I was able to justify it lol
I didn't like the G8's as much as the SS. The SS just felt more refined to me. Especially the interior. But everybody thinks the G8 and the SS are the exact same thing, so they will hold value just as well.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:35 PM   #5249
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Appreciate the info will expand to CTS ..
Old 05-15-2018, 08:29 PM   #5250

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
XTS and Impala are basically identical in dimensions, cabin and trunk space, etc....Same platform and drivetrain, I believe...Cadillac offers more luxury appointments of course, but pretty sure they are almost identical otherwise....

XTS offers FWD and an AWD version, though...V-6 Impala does not have start-stop or cylinder de-activation...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions