Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #1275
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Folks the refresh is here to stay, and won't change until the 7th Generation Camaro arrives in a few years.

They had this refresh started back in 2015, and the GM design studios, GM management, Camaro program management, etc..signed off on it.

It's not changing..at this point you have four options:

Buy a new 2016-2018 while you can

Buy a used Gen 5 or Gen 6

Buy something else

Learn to like the 2019 Camaro and buy one of those.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:56 PM   #1276
T_B

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
The good news for GM is that Ford *really* messed up their Mustang refresh. But thats a small consolation and an oportunity lost.
Mustang refresh looks like heaven compared to what Chevy did here.

and at the above "learn to like" comment ...

I was hoping to jump back into a Camaro after my C7 lease was up, but all this did was guarantee that i will not be touching anything with a Chevy badge on it in the foreseeable future. They basically took one of the best modern looking pony cars and turned it into an abomination with this "refresh". Ugh.
T_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:28 PM   #1277
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by AN0NYM0US View Post
Can Chevy actually change the design? Or is it too late, the car won’t be available till fall 2018.
There is no reason to change the design , Camaros have always been this way as far as people loving or hating the changes . If someone don't like it thats just too bad . I can remember when the 3rd Generation first shown up and it didn't go over well at all , i myself still have trouble looking at them . But they sold well and performed good. If GM caved in to all the people crying on the internet over the refresh they would end up second guessing themselves on every move they make from here out , and that won't lead to anything good. Only time will tell how well this refresh goes . I can't wait for what the 7th GEN brings , i think people have a hard time relalising that the Camaro is not a muscle car anymore and is in very much an process of evolution .I am glad its moving further away from the retro looks of the 5th GEN and i hope they never have to go that way with another Camaro .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:59 PM   #1278
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by AN0NYM0US View Post
Can Chevy actually change the design? Or is it too late, the car won’t be available till fall 2018.
For the content in the refresh, head lamps, tail lamps, front and rear fascias, it would take at least a year. First you would have re-develop the Class A surfaces. Assuming you did nothing to impact cooling you would still need to re validate all the new parts. Tooling lead times alone for a head lamp are very long. Then you have to test. Get to PPAP. Long haul.

Plus, as mentioned, GM may (or may not have) done clinics on the car. I recall that the Gen5 only went to a few of the select group of Camaro fans and wasn't in the typical clinics. So they would not have spent the millions they did on this refresh without a high level of confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Good question. I believe this would only happen if their design studio published the current look to "test" market response. Or if the mgmt thought the feedback thus far spells trouble sales wise. If they think they did the right thing and the market will warm up to it as it did with the prior gens then there is no hope in hell. And based in Al's feedback i think it is the latter. If SS actual sales tank they may tweak it for 2020. GM did it with the last Silverado. But Camaro is a niche car so who knows...
The good news for GM is that Ford *really* messed up their Mustang refresh. But thats a small consolation and an oportunity lost.
There won't be time to tweak anything for 2020. Even if the new model is as late as 2022, there is little likelihood of changing anything. By the time they discover sales tank (or don't) it will be well into the 2019 model production. You could change a color and print a new owners manual at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post
There is no hope in hell. The new sheet metal tooling cost millions and they are not going to scrap it.
I thought he was referring to the refresh content, not the entire car.

The stamping tools for the new hood alone was millions, and lead time for stamping tools can be a year. And that's after you know what it looks like. And then you test.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #1279
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
There is no reason to change the design , Camaros have always been this way as far as people loving or hating the changes . If someone don't like it thats just too bad . I can remember when the 3rd Generation first shown up and it didn't go over well at all , i myself still have trouble looking at them . But they sold well and performed good. If GM caved in to all the people crying on the internet over the refresh they would end up second guessing themselves on every move they make from here out , and that won't lead to anything good. Only time will tell how well this refresh goes . I can't wait for what the 7th GEN brings , i think people have a hard time relalising that the Camaro is not a muscle car anymore and is in very much an process of evolution .I am glad its moving further away from the retro looks of the 5th GEN and i hope they never have to go that way with another Camaro .
And the 4th gen got uglier and then Camaro was cancelled........
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:10 PM   #1280
Michael2000

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Yeah...airflow wise, no difference, no big deal...Looks wise, a whole different story....a horrible damaged look spokes that look worse going in different directions from each other....

Maybe that's part of the "meh, why bother, the customer won't notice" mentality....Just go with the junk-yard salvage look of the bent-spoke wheels...lol...

This is funny. Too bad it's pretty much true.
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:28 PM   #1281
dr damon

Drives: 2011 MANTIS Camaro SS
Just curious if these refreshes really need to happen so often? A challenger looks like a challenger. a 911 looks more or less the same through the years, A range rover looks like a range rover. A corvette like a corvette... you could go on and on. If the camaro continues to keep the inspired look of a 1st gen (5th gen) would that really be a problem?
Old 04-16-2018, 07:59 PM   #1282
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
After seeing some of the other vehicles in the Chevy lineup, the SS looks more like a “corporate front end”.
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:09 PM   #1283
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr damon View Post
Just curious if these refreshes really need to happen so often? A challenger looks like a challenger. a 911 looks more or less the same through the years, A range rover looks like a range rover. A corvette like a corvette... you could go on and on. If the camaro continues to keep the inspired look of a 1st gen (5th gen) would that really be a problem?
I think it's mostly a competitive thing with Camaro vs Mustang, they have to make more changes to stay fresh . Corvette and Porsche have more internal changes then over all external because those drivers want a Corvette or Porsche to look like a Corvette or Porsche. Challengers don't really matter ,they sell because they are cheap and have stuck with the muscle car look ,which has worked , for now. I myself would much rather have a 2nd Gen inspired Camaro then a 1st Gen but i don't think it would work , the 1st Gen is easier to copy .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:17 PM   #1284
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr damon View Post
911, Range Rover, Corvette, Camaro, Mustang, and Wrangler are ironic nameplates that span multiple decades. Challenger is not in that same elite class. The reason it’s current platform lives on is because FCA has decided to throw their limited resources at trucks/SUV. They have quietly killed off Chrysler; as the 300 is the only car left in their lineup.

It seems that Camaro is following in Corvette’s footsteps. The C5 Vette was a big success (as was C5 Camaro). The next gen C6 Vette was a evolutionary in styling, but a big step up in performance. (much like C6 Camaro).

However C6 was often criticized for being a “C5.5”, before C7 Corvette came and brought in a revolutionary new design.

Retro design is not popular like it was a decade ago. Combined with Chevy turning the Camaro from muscle car to spots coupe; it will not work for Gen 7. Chevrolet needs to do to Camaro what they’ve done with Corvete and bring in a sweeping new design.
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:00 PM   #1285
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
And the 4th gen got uglier and then Camaro was cancelled........
Maybe, but definitely not cause and effect. Camaro was cancelled for a ton of reasons, not necessarily designed or sales related.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:09 PM   #1286
Childs Play
Pizza & Wings Only $12.99

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_B View Post
Mustang refresh looks like heaven compared to what Chevy did here.

and at the above "learn to like" comment ...

I was hoping to jump back into a Camaro after my C7 lease was up, but all this did was guarantee that i will not be touching anything with a Chevy badge on it in the foreseeable future. They basically took one of the best modern looking pony cars and turned it into an abomination with this "refresh". Ugh.
The only way the Mustang looks better is if you like catfish...

Stick with the Corvette. It fits your personality better. :P
Attached Images

Past Rides:
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
2012 Camaro ZL1 A6
2017 Camaro 2SS M6
Childs Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:16 PM   #1287
rap47

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childs Play View Post

Stick with the Corvette. It fits your personality better.
Yep, every time I see one coming at me, that is pretty much what it looks like!!!! I would take the 2019 Camaro SS any day over that nasty looking thing!!
rap47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #1288
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childs Play View Post

Stick with the Corvette. It fits your personality better. :P
It might look like a catfish, but it's a better looking catfish than whatever this is supposed to be...

Just saying.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2019 camaro refresh, 2020 camrao, becky, beckyd, camaro refresh, camarodestroyed, new camaro, ugly camaro, wtf?!?!