Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-17-2021, 04:15 PM   #365
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6Ted View Post
One of the major drawbacks on PI with a turbo imo. I heard about the MSD's blowing out and I'm wondering if a Holley Hi Ram (budget) would kill my low end and midrange torque with twins since I have room for it?
That's a good question that I can't answer, I'd ask GPi or someone who knows more than I do. I already had the intake from when I had a Procharger so it was a no brainer to just keep it and use it, seems to work pretty well.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:45 AM   #366
Choda

Drives: Turbo 6.2
If I could find a used procharger intake, id snatch it up in a heart beat. They look great, fit OEM accessories and make power. But then I would probably fall into doing a direct port meth kit and be another 3k into it.

So last night was fun. I decided I was spending way to much time on this vac block and just made it work with the random fittings I had in the box because I ordered a 3/8 -6an fitting instead of a 1/4 -6an and couldnt do it the way I wanted. I think everything is set up right and should work nicely. I def see the benefit of push lock after messing with these barbs and vac hose.

Then I decided to finally bolt down my intake. Tossed it on and it wouldn't seal. hmmm made sure all the wires and clips and whatever was out from under it. Still wouldn't sit flush. WTF. Pulled my fuel tubes and feed tube off. Still wobbling. WTF. Tossed it on my mock up motor, perfect. WTF. Put it back on the car and doesn't seal. I was trying to look around and see what was going on then I finally found it. The stupid dowel indicator on the bottom of the intake was hitting the LT4 heads. Duh, I told Katech not to drill any dowel holes in my heads because they would go over the needed thread holes. 30 seconds later w the sanding disk and were good. Reinstalled the middle fuel tube and feed tube ( which would suck for the people that dont re use them ). Start running the bolts down and notice two bolts tighten but aren't snugging the manifold down. Oh yeah, the corner holes that Katech machined in are not OEM. So manifold comes back off and I check the depth. They are about 1/4 shorter than the others. I popped those bolts out of the manifold, tossed some washers between the top shoulder and the manifold and bam. Finally. All the manifold bolts are torques to 89 lb in. What a cluster.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2021, 07:55 AM   #367
Choda

One thing I decided to do was put each object on its own port. I also used 5mm hose because I had like 15 foot in the shop. Its just a tad smaller than 1/4 hose. Do you guys think it'll be an issue?

Boost/vac source - Left side 1/4 port from intake manifold.
WG side port
EBC solenoid -> WG top port
EBC line into the cabin
BOV
Meth map sensor

I also have a spare barb as the exhaust fitting on the mac valve until the real thing shows up from china.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:11 PM   #368
ZO6Ted
Old badass

Drives: 14GMC 2.9 16GMC Turbos 2020Silv.6.2
So Choda I saw Jim mentioned port meth as well before. Is that in lieu of E85 to help with less fuel volume needed or some other reason? And yeah I would probably snatch up a used PC intake I believe as well. Just unsure of a Hi Ram.
ZO6Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:27 AM   #369
Choda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6Ted View Post
So Choda I saw Jim mentioned port meth as well before. Is that in lieu of E85 to help with less fuel volume needed or some other reason? And yeah I would probably snatch up a used PC intake I believe as well. Just unsure of a Hi Ram.
Good question. Heres my unprofessional personal answer.

e85 is not at most pumps up here in buffalo ny. So my friends that use it have to either store gals or drive way outta the way to fill up. I understand the greatness of flex fuel and being able to switch on the fly but I personally am not properly set up fuel wise to use e85 so im looking for consistency. I really don't need the additional power using e offers either. My car makes power on 93 fuel and straight M1. If e becomes more popular up here, I could look to upgrade my fuel system to take advantage of it and probably turn down the meth.

Meth is there to cool air charge and help a little on the fuel side. I have a triple nozzle. I think that's a lot of meth going into the throttle blade. Having a direct port meth system would ensure all that meth is equally distributed into each cyl. I'm guessing the oem manifold I have, isn't doing the best job of that. Esp when I pulled the heads, the front runner on the driver side was SPOTLESS. the other 7 runners had the usual dirty look. Something to think about there.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:33 AM   #370
Choda

I keep seeing GM lS7 lifter issues.... I re used the ls7s that came in the vengeance racing lt4. Really hope I don't run into any issues. Sounds like majority of people are switching to Johnsons.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:31 PM   #371
ZO6Ted
Old badass

Drives: 14GMC 2.9 16GMC Turbos 2020Silv.6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choda View Post
Good question. Heres my unprofessional personal answer.

e85 is not at most pumps up here in buffalo ny. So my friends that use it have to either store gals or drive way outta the way to fill up. I understand the greatness of flex fuel and being able to switch on the fly but I personally am not properly set up fuel wise to use e85 so im looking for consistency. I really don't need the additional power using e offers either. My car makes power on 93 fuel and straight M1. If e becomes more popular up here, I could look to upgrade my fuel system to take advantage of it and probably turn down the meth.

Meth is there to cool air charge and help a little on the fuel side. I have a triple nozzle. I think that's a lot of meth going into the throttle blade. Having a direct port meth system would ensure all that meth is equally distributed into each cyl. I'm guessing the oem manifold I have, isn't doing the best job of that. Esp when I pulled the heads, the front runner on the driver side was SPOTLESS. the other 7 runners had the usual dirty look. Something to think about there.
Totally makes sense hadn't considered distribution. Thanks!
ZO6Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:46 PM   #372
Choda

Fired it up. So far so good. Couple things I still need to finish up but I’m pretty happy.

My oil drain fitting is leaking. Kinda weird but I’ll take it apart and back together.

Throttle body codes. It sounds as though it opens and closes quickly before the car starts. I revved it up and it threw the tb codes and went into engine reduced power mode. W the key on, the blade doesn’t open all the way using the pedal. I’m not sure if there is a relearn or something.

02 extension harness was bad causing bank 1 to get all crazy. New one is coming.

Need to wire and install ebc. I’ll probably swap wide bands so I can integrate with my ebc. My current wb is ballenger 500v2 and does not have a native connection.

Check trans fluid level.

Install new snky game changer that should be here in 2 weeks

https://youtu.be/tR_olKeVyTo
Attached Images

Last edited by Choda; 03-28-2021 at 06:06 PM.
Choda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:04 AM   #373
wolfdog

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Nice to see you're getting back in action.

Ofcourse im here for the drain again...I'm wondering if removing the check ball was good/bad/indifferent...the ball was there to keep stuff from going back up the tube into the factory clean side vent can (only camaro LTs have this i believe) which was exposed to positive case pressure otherwise.

blowing through the line...i could hear air escaping the pcv obviously. I checked because im considering routing a line and pump to the catch can for my return. this raised the question...is the check ball vacuum actuated shut since a factory line from the stock intake is hooked up to the catch can? with no vacuum or boost the ball should remain open from the feed side and prevent opposing "splash" which may have stopped your leak from occuring.

this is all speculation though and i am in no way educated enough to say 100%...just a long winded thought.
wolfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:16 PM   #374
Choda

My drain leak is from the 90* angle where the bend meets the nut on the actual fitting. that what it appears to be so far. I'm going to take the hose end off and re seat it. Hopefully that will solve the leak.

I made a video of the check ball and the oem fittings/tubes. I'm not sure how the ball worked in OEM style catch can setup. I would think it was heavy enough that if the oil rose up to the ball, that it wouldnt pick the ball up. Keep in mind I previously had my gravity drain going into the same part of the pan using the oem tube and check ball. I removed the ball and tube to open restriction and use AN fittings instead of hose clamps.

I agree blowing into that will cause positive crankcase pressure. Mine is a gravity drain, so its not pushing any air into the pan or crank case. If I used the pump, I could see it adding air into the system. I also have a very free flowing engine with valley cover and valve cover breathers.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:22 PM   #375
Choda

Oh I also pulled the oil drain hose and let the car run to make sure my new oil feed setup was working. I was amazed how little oil drains out using the tiny restrictor in the feed. Its like a hair thickness. Very very small opening.

I pulled the feed line off the turbo for a quick check. The home made fitting into the valley cover and -3 flows like hell LOL. I ran the car for about 2 seconds and it put a decent amount of oil in my little can.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:36 PM   #376
wolfdog

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choda View Post
Oh I also pulled the oil drain hose and let the car run to make sure my new oil feed setup was working. I was amazed how little oil drains out using the tiny restrictor in the feed. Its like a hair thickness. Very very small opening.

I pulled the feed line off the turbo for a quick check. The home made fitting into the valley cover and -3 flows like hell LOL. I ran the car for about 2 seconds and it put a decent amount of oil in my little can.
nice...thats reassuring...i guess the dod delete routes oil to more important things now.

btw...did you delete the stock driver side water to oil cooler?
wolfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:28 PM   #377
Choda

No I did not. I thought about it but decided I changed enough already.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:57 AM   #378
Choda

Finishing up the last couple things before I can drive it around.

Temporarily wired up my Gofastbits electronic boost controller. I'm going to change the break in oil out for Mobil 1.