Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 04-20-2017, 05:28 PM   #1
randypipe

Drives: Muscle
Michelin Pilot 4S on 1ss 1le Anyone?

Has anyone replaced their Goodyear's with these?
randypipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:30 PM   #2
FoCoCamaro

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE (Krypton Green)
I'm curious as well. I've been eyeing the Pilot 4S and ExtremeContact Sport to put on the new set of wheels I have ordered and then keep or sell the stock 1LE wheels and tires.

I think I'll just reuse the stock Goodyears and box up the stockers and plan for there eventual replacement. Since they are so new there isn't a ton of direct feedback yet but give it a few more months there should be a lot of people running them with real world reviews.
FoCoCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:40 PM   #3
NBR IPD

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoCoCamaro View Post
I'm curious as well. I've been eyeing the Pilot 4S and ExtremeContact Sport to put on the new set of wheels I have ordered and then keep or sell the stock 1LE wheels and tires.

I think I'll just reuse the stock Goodyears and box up the stockers and plan for there eventual replacement. Since they are so new there isn't a ton of direct feedback yet but give it a few more months there should be a lot of people running them with real world reviews.
And remember to watch which version of the Pilot 4S is being reviewed. The replacement market ones are a lot different than the OE specific ones to various cars. Footprint shape, compounds, construction, tread depth, etc. can all be different among P4S's in the same size.

2017 SS 1LE Hyper Blue - PDR - VBHF63
NBR IPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:06 AM   #4
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Since ZL1 tires are same size I figured this wouldn't hurt to post....checkout post # 19. C6 member with a ZL1 from Georgia got Pilot Sport 4s tires.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...t=pilot&page=2
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:57 PM   #5
cpnslow

Drives: 2017 ATS-V, 2017 SS 1LE (Sold)
My Pilot Sport 4S arrived today! Although I'm not planning to install them until June, a few weeks before my first track day with this car. Will definitely post impressions afterwards.

My Goodyears are already down to 3/32nds on all four corners after 7000 road miles, no track days... not impressed, hence the switch!

cpnslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:52 AM   #6
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
The MP4S is a great tire but you need to be aware that it's not the same class of tire as the OEM Goodyears. The MP4S will have more tread life and the OEM GY Supercar 3's will have more grip PERIOD!!! The Michelin Pilot Super Sports have earned iconic status among sports car owners and rightfully so, but you need to know these are slightly more conservative/all around tires. The GY Supercar 3's are somewhere in between Super Sports and Sport Cup 2's.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:01 AM   #7
Casalino

Drives: 17' 1LE BLK
My view on this. Like he said, the 4S tires are perfect for high performance summer road use. They have a better tread wear than the OEM. The Goodyear's are better for track conditions but not purpose built in my opinion. The tread wear on good track tires should be somewhere between 75-100 if i'm right. The Goodyear's seem to fall right between summer road tires and track tires.

The Goodyears are the best option if you wanted one set of tires to do it all. But they aren't great for the track or great for the road. When these are toast, i plan on running the 4S for the road (or a different tire with a better tread wear), and getting a dedicated track tire/wheel. That's how it should be done
Casalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #8
cpnslow

Drives: 2017 ATS-V, 2017 SS 1LE (Sold)
Yep, my car is 95% daily driver duties, and 5% track, so I felt the slight trade off in grip over longevity would be well worth it. I've tracked two previous cars on PSS tires and they were great, so expecting the same with the PS4S. I know we're comparing apples to oranges, but my 328i saw 3 track days and 25k road miles on a single set of PSS. For someone that's a little more hardcore, pushing the car to 10/10ths at the track regularly, I'd definitely stick with the Goodyears or switch to Michelin cups.
cpnslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:56 AM   #9
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casalino View Post

The Goodyears are the best option if you wanted one set of tires to do it all. But they aren't great for the track or great for the road. When these are toast, i plan on running the 4S for the road (or a different tire with a better tread wear), and getting a dedicated track tire/wheel. That's how it should be done
While I too am going to run a separate track wheel/tire set-up, it is a complete falsehood to say that the G3's suck on track. They are an amazing tire that surpassed any expectations I had and will be perfect as a track tire for 99% of owners.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:20 PM   #10
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casalino View Post
...The tread wear on good track tires should be somewhere between 75-100 if i'm right....That's how it should be done
You mean a treadwear of 40, right?

The OEM G3's are proving to be a fantastic "arrive & drive" tire for occasional track days.

For the guys that have a trailer or a pit crew to bring their Hoosiers, the Pilot 4S's would make for a good DD tire.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:28 PM   #11
Casalino

agreed. I get my advice from a friend's dad. He raced a 1995 porsche turbo for many years. Belonged to various clubs and racing groups. He checked over my car when i got it and loved it! he was telling me about my tires that he didn't like the tread wear if these are considered track tires. He also told me that they aren't good for the road either. They are somewhere in the middle. He told me he used 75-100 tread wear. But maybe he was also driving to the track with them. I dont know maybe 40 is the right number like you said.

But yeah i would like the 4S to run on the street and get a second set of dedicated track tires. These tires don't seem to fit either category completely. Tread wear wise
Old 05-04-2017, 12:36 PM   #12
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Hoosier R7 is a treadwear of 40. That's the typical track day tire.

I used to run R888's as a rain tire [they're not good in the rain, BTW]. Their treadwear rating is 100. They're best as a street tire, IMO. Other "R-compound" tires in the 100 treadwear range are the Toyo RA1, Nitto NT01, and Maxxis RC-1. They have just enough tread to not be a good idea to run on the street, though they're perfectly legal.

The current trend for extreme summer tires is to fake a UTQG of 200-ish to sneak into street tire auto-x classification. Tires like the RE71R and Rival S 1.5 fall into that category, as their real life on-track treadwear is much less than their "200" implies.

Just looking at the Goodyear S3's 220 treadwear and making a blanket assumption just isn't logical these days within the context of current "cheater" auto-x tires. Not to discount your friend's dad, but things do change quickly in the tire world.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:39 PM   #13
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post

I used to run R888's as a rain tire [they're not good in the rain, BTW]. Their treadwear rating is 100. They're best as a street tire, IMO. Other "R-compound" tires in the 100 treadwear range are the Toyo RA1, Nitto NT01, and Maxxis RC-1. They have just enough tread to not be a good idea to run on the street, though they're perfectly legal.

The current trend for extreme summer tires is to fake a UTQG of 200-ish to sneak into street tire auto-x classification. Tires like the RE71R and Rival S 1.5 fall into that category, as their real life on-track treadwear is much less than their "200" implies.

Just looking at the Goodyear S3's 220 treadwear and making a blanket assumption just isn't logical these days within the context of current "cheater" auto-x tires. Not to discount your friend's dad, but things do change quickly in the tire world.
I wish an R7 was my typical track day tire
Old 05-04-2017, 01:12 PM   #14
Casalino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post

Thanks for your comment. This is all a learning experience for me so the more info the better. In my head, the lower tread wear rating means gummier tires yeah? if a tire has a higher tread wear, it is going to be "harder" so to speak. to provide a longer life no?

And your right about my friend's dad. This was 5-10 years ago. So maybe his experience with tires and tread wear can be different to what we do today.

His biggest piece of advice to me was this. Before you go out on that track, you better have the blue racing brake fluid. I've read the threads on it so i'm aware of which fluid to use. But he said that is most important. You don't want to approach a turn and have no brakes. It will happen. There goes everything.

He said to enjoy the car and take it on the track as much as you can. It takes years and years and years to get decent at this. Every good driver thinks he will be able to go on a track. But when you're on it, every bit of road experience goes right out the window. It is like starting over again. And even though he took all the lessons he can and practiced as much as he could, he could never beat his brother. When you race a guy that could care less about totaling his car or his own bodily harm, you better back off. You won't catch him. Or you'll end up into the sidewall