Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-26-2019, 11:38 PM   #1
Oak78

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Should I buy a ZL1 1LE

I’m getting ready to purchase a 2018 ZL1 1LE manual. After doing some reading I keep hearing about it bogging when trying to accelerate hard. This has me second guessing getting the car. I really want to get it but want to know if it can be fixed. Even if I have to get a tune I’m fine with that. I just don’t want to get something with such a glaring fault. I’ve been reading the forums and get conflicting information. Some say that the Soler TB will fix others say no. Some say it can be tuned out but I cannot find a conclusive answer. I most likely won’t get the car tuned until the warranty is up but I just want to know that the problem can be remedied. I also read that GM can reflash the computer for better drag racing performance. Does anyone have answers to any of these questions. I apologize if this has already been asked but I just want to make a mistake in buying this car.
Oak78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:31 AM   #2
UFDUB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
The bog exists. It happens when you try to launch hard (moderate rpm, rolling into the torque aggressively, with rapid clutch uptake indicating a hard start). It does not occur in daily driving. If you’re rolling and hammer down, it takes off (or lights up the tires depending on available traction). The bog tries to protect against shock loading.

I’ve heard it can be tuned out. The throttle body change is a temporary bandaid. That said, it only occurs under limited circumstances and isn’t much of an issue. Some experience it when starting out, but I’ve only had it happen once or twice ever.

The ZLE is a lot of fun. And if you can track it, it is truly worth it and the bog will never be noticed. I love mine every time I drive it!
UFDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:59 AM   #3
LT4

Drives: all sold, getting another soon..
Agree with the above. Guy on here actually traded his in car for an A10 because of the bog, but the vast majority are fine leaving their M6 as is, since most don't drag race the manuals. On a track with a good driver, the A10 and M6 give near identical lap times.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:23 AM   #4
Oddspyke

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1 convertible
I'd also add that the only way the bog really matters is if you are planning to do lots of drag racing, and if you are doing lots of drag racing, the 1LE package is wasted money. It's for road courses not the drag strip; doesn't make the car any lighter, stiffens the suspension (bad for weight transfer) and has more drag from the aero kit. That all helps in the turns, but it's bad for straight line racing.
Oddspyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:40 AM   #5
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
I don’t drag race nor stop light race. No bog issues to report on my M6.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:26 AM   #6
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Oak78, buy what you want to buy! You will be happier in the long run! The bog is there as is in my ZL1 but you learn how to cope with it. Sure the A10 is faster but if you prefer to row thru the gears then a M6 is the way to go. All of us on here have our opinions and experiences but in the grand scheme of things get what will make you happy and enjoy the drive. The ZL1 and ZL1 1LEs are a blast to own and drive!
Old 11-27-2019, 07:04 AM   #7
keystonemedical

Drives: 2019 ZL1 / LE , 2014 CTS V
I bought my 2019 ZL1 / LE in the Fall of this year. I came from a 2013 GT500 which I loved and I already miss. However, it was time for a change for me. I read about the " bog " and did alot of research on it in general. I had a 2012 SS a few years ago and had a bunch of money in it so I was sort of familiar with the platform. I have zero regrets with this car so far. I havent experienced the "bog " yet. I havent had a chance to drive it all that much yet since I do park my cars in the Winter. The LE is a much better overall car than my Shelby was. The GT500 was a very unrefined and violent car. The rear axle set up made it very unpredictable when hammering on it in a turn ect. It shined the most on a interstate or a stretch of highway. The LE is totally opposite, it shines in the twistys and lets you drive it faster in that environment then you probably should be unless your on a track of course. Its a bouncy suspension but gets better the faster you go. Its a great car, so I wouldnt sweat the "bog" unless your intentions are to take it to the strip.
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:10 AM   #8
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
What is this "bog" you speak of?
Old 11-27-2019, 08:50 AM   #9
Junkyardspecial

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Has never happened to me, and I drive my car hard constantly. Just get the car, not like anything else on the market matches it for the dollar anyway. If youre trying to drag race just get the base zl1 also. ZLE isnt made for that.

Will buy your GoodYear Supercar 3R Take offs!
Junkyardspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:48 AM   #10
LT4Greg

You never had the bog with yours Steve V? I do when I back out of my driveway onto the street since I live on a slight hill that goes down but not all the time I have it!
Old 11-27-2019, 09:56 AM   #11
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I made 25 passes on the drag strip last Sunday and bogged like crazy using launch control and race mode.
Soon as I went all off no bog at all and had some wheel hop to deal with.

Also increased trap times by 3 mph soon as I turned everything off.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:31 AM   #12
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
I make the "what bog" joke because you can train yourself to avoid it, or work around it. You'll note the smiley face after my statement.

I fell victim to it maybe 3 times after I had just purchased the car back in April of 2018.

But, it hasn't bitten me in over a year. Also, if you push the traction control button twice in sport mode to put it in competitive mode, the throttle is more responsive.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:34 AM   #13
LT4Greg

Yeah Steve V, I noticed that too after learning how to cope with it!!��
Old 11-27-2019, 01:29 PM   #14
CharlieRomeo

Drives: 2020 White ZLE A10
I keep going back and forth between selling my ZL1 for a 1LE. If I did, I would probably never take it to a track. I'm just one of those people who likes to have the top model of things. Sometimes I wish I just would have bought the 1LE initially but I daily drove my ZL1 when I first bought it. I didn't want to deal with that rough suspension every day but I just love the way the 1LE looks. Looks like a damn fighter jet to me, but I decided to get the regular Z at the time.

Now, I no longer drive the ZL1 as a daily so I'm really considering trading it for a 1LE.
CharlieRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote