Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 12-22-2016, 08:43 AM   #1
63falcondude

Drives: 16 Camaro, 11 Stryker, 00 Explorer
Rough shifting into 2nd when cold

To all of the M6 owners out there:

I am not sure if this is normal or the beginning of a problem. When leaving for work in the morning (around freezing and car has been sitting outside), it is rough getting into 2nd gear. I don't hear any grinding but it feels like it clunks into 2nd. Selecting gears is smooth while standing still idling.

This happens every morning when it is cold out and only with 2nd gear. Yesterday the same thing happened but for the first time it didn't fully go into 2nd.

This only happens after the car has been sitting in the cold overnight and goes away after about 10 minutes of driving.

Any thoughts?

1100 12/14/2015
3000 1/8/2016 (TPW 2/1)
3800 2/1/2016
5000 3/5/2016
63falcondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:54 AM   #2
Doyal_Mcneff
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 2ss
When it's cold the fluid is thicker and not as lubticating. This is normal given the stock fluid. Once the trans warms up it goes away right? I have the same thing, and it was a hell of a lot worse in my 2014 mustang.
Doyal_Mcneff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:15 AM   #3
danman_s

Drives: 2009 Silverado 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63falcondude View Post

I am not sure if this is normal or the beginning of a problem. When leaving for work in the morning (around freezing and car has been sitting outside), it is rough getting into 2nd gear. I don't hear any grinding but it feels like it clunks into 2nd. Selecting gears is smooth while standing still idling.

This happens every morning when it is cold out and only with 2nd gear. Yesterday the same thing happened but for the first time it didn't fully go into 2nd.

This only happens after the car has been sitting in the cold overnight and goes away after about 10 minutes of driving.

Any thoughts?
Tremec T56's have been doing this since I had my first Z06 back in 2003, haha. It's one of those signature quirks of the transmission as every following car that I've owned or driven is the exactly same way (across GM, Ford and Dodge).
danman_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:33 AM   #4
63falcondude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyal_Mcneff View Post
When it's cold the fluid is thicker and not as lubticating. This is normal given the stock fluid. Once the trans warms up it goes away right? I have the same thing, and it was a hell of a lot worse in my 2014 mustang.
That's correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman_s View Post
Tremec T56's have been doing this since I had my first Z06 back in 2003, haha. It's one of those signature quirks of the transmission as every following car that I've owned or driven is the exactly same way (across GM, Ford and Dodge).
I'm glad to know that it isn't the beginning of an issue. Thanks guys.

1100 12/14/2015
3000 1/8/2016 (TPW 2/1)
3800 2/1/2016
5000 3/5/2016
Old 12-22-2016, 09:36 AM   #5
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Sounds normal. Before I put my car away, a few weeks ago, I did drive it in 20-30F temperatures and my transmission had increased resistance to getting into 2nd. Really, there was increased resistance into most of the gears, but 2nd is used the most. Going to an aftermarket fluid, like RedLine D4 or D6, could alleviate most of the effort; however, I will say that it is not really needed. I've had various manual cars in the past, most RWD based, and the amount of increased effort is similar, if not a little better.

I think you are fine. Just don't expect too much and force the shift. Let the transmission fluid warm up. This is part of having a manual transmission. Cold, the transmission fluid is more viscous (more resistant to flowing) and, thus, thicker. This makes it harder for the synchros to...sychronize, or speed-match to the various gears. Think of it as the difference between walking through mud and water-saturated mud/muck. In the cold, the synchro is trying to walk through mud. Once warm, or in the warm weather, the synchro is walking through water-saturated mud/muck. Remember, synchros are like clutches - they have to move/cut through fluid and provide a certain amount of friction onto the gears to slow them or speed them up for speed matching.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:55 AM   #6
63falcondude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Sounds normal. Before I put my car away, a few weeks ago, I did drive it in 20-30F temperatures and my transmission had increased resistance to getting into 2nd. Really, there was increased resistance into most of the gears, but 2nd is used the most. Going to an aftermarket fluid, like RedLine D4 or D6, could alleviate most of the effort; however, I will say that it is not really needed. I've had various manual cars in the past, most RWD based, and the amount of increased effort is similar, if not a little better.

I think you are fine. Just don't expect too much and force the shift. Let the transmission fluid warm up. This is part of having a manual transmission. Cold, the transmission fluid is more viscous (more resistant to flowing) and, thus, thicker. This makes it harder for the synchros to...sychronize, or speed-match to the various gears. Think of it as the difference between walking through mud and water-saturated mud/muck. In the cold, the synchro is trying to walk through mud. Once warm, or in the warm weather, the synchro is walking through water-saturated mud/muck. Remember, synchros are like clutches - they have to move/cut through fluid and provide a certain amount of friction onto the gears to slow them or speed them up for speed matching.
Makes sense. This is my first manual car so it's all new to me. Thanks for the response.

1100 12/14/2015
3000 1/8/2016 (TPW 2/1)
3800 2/1/2016
5000 3/5/2016
Old 12-22-2016, 07:21 PM   #7
1fujifilm

Drives: 2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Quote:

Any thoughts?
I agree, very sickening but normal. It is better in my 16 1SS than in the 13 Mustang Gt I came from. The GT was so bad I took it to the Dealer and he said the gears need to wear in a bit too. I sold it with 14k on it and it was as bad at 14k as when new. I bought another stick though, nothing like holding RPM's through the six round-abouts I go through to work each way everyday; booyah!

Bear

Bear
1fujifilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:49 PM   #8
Camaroky

Drives: 2016 camaro 1SS
Mine does the same thing. After a couple miles or so it's back to normal
Camaroky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:28 PM   #9
1BlueSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Sometimes I end up shifting 1-3 when the car is cold. For some reason every GM car/truck I've driven, 2nd gear was hateful when it was cold. Few miles down the road and it's fine. Don't need to scratch that gear, especially when 1-3 won't hurt anything. When it was warmer temps here, this wasn't an issue. Only noticed it when temp was around 50* and below.

1BlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:54 PM   #10
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Completely normal.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:

Any thoughts?
Hello 63falcondude,

It’s great to see that our fellow forum members have been able to provide you with some clarification on this matter! If you do come across any other questions or concerns in the future, please feel free to reach out. We're always glad to be of assistance!

Have a great day,

Angela O.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 12-28-2016, 02:19 PM   #12
2K16SummitSS
Resident Land Surveyor

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS - Summit White M6
Happened in my 4th gen SS T-56, happens now in my 6th gen SS TR-6060

I made it to 232k in the 4th gen before I sold it with exactly 0 transmission issues (that weren't slave/master cylinder related...), so I'm not too worried.
2001 NBM Trans Am WS6, Wifey's Grocery Getter - Torquer V2 cam, Racetronix Fuel Pump, Yank 3000 Stall, Transgo 1-2 kit, TSP LTs, Magnaflow, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTIIs, Ed Wright tuned
2K16SummitSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:07 PM   #13
JonnyH9

Drives: ‘17 2LT RS Garnet Red
I have the same annoying problem. Estimating the right shift point into 2nd is way harder than it should be. I think it has to do with the wide set gear ratios. 1st is 4.40 while 2nd is 2.59. That's a 41% drop! So the higher you are in the power band, the more revs you have to let it drop to sync. That's why I've been shifting early, before 2rpm so the 41% drop is not nearly as dramatic (800revs). At 3rpm, it would be more like 1,200revs. Of course when you need to get off the line quick, this is just a pain in the rear because you need to haul ass in 1st and there's no quick (or smooth) way into 2nd.
JonnyH9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:17 AM   #14
stigmacher

Drives: 1LT 1LE
1le here. It's completely normal when cold. Same for all my manual cars, even brand new Honda's that I've owned. I support previous post wrt redline mtf. I used it on all my previous new cars after break-in w/ factory fluid - it's good & makes a huge difference in all temps. Not sure what they recommend for this trans yet but will be switching to it sometime next year.
stigmacher is offline   Reply With Quote