Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
ScottyB911

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
Maybe someone here can shed some light on this...

So here's the situation...

Right now I have a 2010 2LT RS with just under 15K. (Bought new last spring)

Last week I was at the dealership and they had just gotten in a 2011 2SS/RS with auto and sunroof and 1100 miles on it. (guy bought it last fall...traded it in on a Vette)

The used car manager said he thought they would be pricing it at around $35K...and of course asked if I wanted to trade up. I ran some numbers quick and told him in order for the deal to actually work I would need a minimum of $25K for my car, and an interest rate no higher than 5%...and a few of the add ons would not be included in the trade. Long story short the deal didnt happen, he was only willing to give me $23K trade for mine (leaving a LOT of negative equity) and he would only offer me that much if I traded the car as it was...without removing anything.

So today, out of the blue my salesman called me and said they had found some "new numbers" and were certain they could make the deal happen now under the terms I had laid out. (Including me keeping some of the accessories) While he didnt have exact numbers he basically said that suddenly they were able to add a few thousand dollars into the deal in my favor which would (as he put it) drastically reduce the payment and would almost certainly guarantee me a low interest rate.

Beyond that all he mentioned was that month end was coming up and they were having a big Memorial Day sale and they wanted my car on the lot when it started.

I flat out asked if they were offering about 2 grand more on my trade and he said he thought it would actually be even more than that... I just want to be sure something didnt happen with the 2011 SS that caused the value to drop way down...

I know salesmen can be slick so when I initially went in, I went with documentation on trade values, pricing on the new 2011s (including a guaranteed discounted price through USAA on a brand new SS), and interest rates/payment amounts etc and I was very clear that all of the pieces needed to be there for me to pull the trigger...

So...anyone in the car business have any idea what the hell would cause them to suddenly turn things around so drastically like this?

Scotty B
ScottyB911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
They may just need to move some cars.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
ScottyB911

I should add that Im not the kind of customer who goes in and thinks if he makes enough noise he'll get everything he wants. But I do like to let them know that Im very "informed" with regard to values, and that I understand how financing so I buy based on the interest rate and number of years on the loan rather the monthly payment they can get me.

Scotty B
Old 05-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
scottyvegas
X SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRSM6 1988 Sportside
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
They may just need to move some cars.
this!
MODS: PEDDERS XA COIL OVERS, STAGE 3 CAM, McLEOD CLUTCH, SKIP SHIFT, , HURST SHORT THROW, CAI INTAKE, SCOOP, WASHER RELO KIT, KOOKS HEADERS, KOOKS HI FLOW CATS, CUSTOM TUNE, QTP CUT OUTS, PAINTED STRIPES, PAINTED SS EMBLEMS, PAINTED FIN, PAINTED REAR TAIL LAMP BEZELS, HERITAGE GRILLE, DUCTS, AAC STUFF, BAER ROTORS, HAWK PADS, FUZZY DICE, LASER BEAMS, DISCO BALL, SYBIAN & 3 CHROME VALVE STEM CAPS................
scottyvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
scottyvegas
X SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRSM6 1988 Sportside
End of the month is coming, gotta close the month out strong, get rid of inventory......Lucky You .
MODS: PEDDERS XA COIL OVERS, STAGE 3 CAM, McLEOD CLUTCH, SKIP SHIFT, , HURST SHORT THROW, CAI INTAKE, SCOOP, WASHER RELO KIT, KOOKS HEADERS, KOOKS HI FLOW CATS, CUSTOM TUNE, QTP CUT OUTS, PAINTED STRIPES, PAINTED SS EMBLEMS, PAINTED FIN, PAINTED REAR TAIL LAMP BEZELS, HERITAGE GRILLE, DUCTS, AAC STUFF, BAER ROTORS, HAWK PADS, FUZZY DICE, LASER BEAMS, DISCO BALL, SYBIAN & 3 CHROME VALVE STEM CAPS................
scottyvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
You need someone else to go to the dealer and see what they'll sell the SS straight out for. Be my guess they got someone already interested in your car.
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
Rogey89
ZL 1 3 7

Drives: '23 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam#7 View Post
You need someone else to go to the dealer and see what they'll sell the SS straight out for. Be my guess they got someone already interested in your car.
Yeah send in a friend who talks them down to lowest price they will go on the SS. Get a history report, make sure it wasn't in an accident.

Then if all is good, get that SS if it's in the cards for you!
Old 05-24-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
ScottyB911

I had kind of wondered about someone being interested in my car. (maybe not mine specifically but someone wanting a used RS)

There has been a couple of occasions where people inquired about my car when I was at the dealership and asking if it was for sale.

Based on the original terms and what I was told today etc... It sounds like I would be looking at financing $40K after tax/title and the negative equity from mine is added back in. (4.9% interest) Which is about what someone would pay for a brand new one with nothing down...so Im thinking it might not be a bad thing

Scotty B
Old 05-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
numbers don't lie.

As long as the SS checks out, under warranty, and you like it, I'd at least walk down the path of getting it...see where it goes

yes, car salemen can be slick, but when it comes time to sign on the dotted line, those numbers aren't changing...and if you agree with them and are happy, then its a win for you.

Just make sure you will be happier and can hold the extra payment and enjoy!
Old 05-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #10
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Rarety?

Here in the Province of Quebec there are almost no 2LT-RS used for sale, but lots of SS. Might be the same in your area?

2LT-RS sold is better that an SS not sold......
Old 05-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #11
mcarney

Drives: SSRS CGM LS3
Don't go in unless they give you a number... They are just trying to drag you in to BS you more.

When you're really good in a past life, you come back as yourself

mcarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #12
ScottyB911

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarney View Post
Don't go in unless they give you a number... They are just trying to drag you in to BS you more.
Well like I said I put down a specific dollar amount for my trade and told them where the interest rate and number of payments needed to be for this to work so they really dont have any wiggle room from me. ...and the salesmen did say they were certain they could meet the terms I specified.

Scotty B
Old 05-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #13
cleanwhiteSS
2011 White Camaro RS/2SS

Drives: 2011 White Camaro RS/2SS
There is all types of ways to change the numbers. What you have to ask yourself is how much do I want to spend each month? Then get to that number. I am not a fan of putting negative equity on another loan. So you are paying more for that SS then anyone else would because of the amount you owe on your other car. You do what makes you happy but think about it.

2SS/RS M6, GFX, Borla Atak cat back,Blacked out tail lights, Heritage Grill, 20% tint, 5% on back, Hurst Short Thrower, Black Gills, SLP Shift Skip
cleanwhiteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #14
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
All the did was reduce the price on the SS and move it to your trade in and move your payment out to 72 months. If I was in your situation I would do deal as longas you can afford the $500-$550 a month car payment you will have.

Sean