Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #57
427Carl
427CARL

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6speed
Send a message via Yahoo to 427Carl
I forgot

i forgot to mention, that my wife owns most of the car...
Old 01-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #58
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
haven't drove an manuel in many moons and can't say I miss it, and if the wild urge hits me I can always use tap shift so in my book I have the best of both worlds!!
I respect yopur view and have already stated I'm a snob about this issue but I must say that "tap shift" in a torque converter auto tranny is mostly a gimmick. You really don't get the most out of the car using it. The computer does better without your input other than your right foot.. Yes the auto tranny is much easier to launch and in a 1/4 mile race it is all won or lost with the launch but that is what makes the manual even better - it's about he challenge and control for me. If you get the manaul launched and shifted it right its golden - if you don't you've learned something - satisfying either way.

By the way look at the stock 1/4 mile fast list the first 9 listed are m6 cars. It's a challenge yes but the manual gives you the most out of this car. It is not until you start you start throwing money at it with power mods. that the A6 steps up its game.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #59
GeorgeM

Drives: 2016 2SS, Yellowjacket, A8
I bought the M6 because of the additional power and I wanted the Vette engine. Plus, it was $1,200 cheaper than the auto.

Also, to carry weight in social circles you need the manual. There is a certain stigma attached to the manual that is absent with the auto. Auto owners just can't be taken seriously.

GeorgeM
Old 01-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #60
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeM View Post
Also, to carry weight in social circles you need the manual. There is a certain stigma attached to the manual that is absent with the auto. Auto owners just can't be taken seriously.

GeorgeM
I was wondering when someone would bring this up.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #61
427Carl
427CARL

Big fight!!

Ok GeorgeM I'll show you serious

Bring that 6 speed to my track, and Me and my "auto" will put you in the Loser parking lot.... just funin
Old 01-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #62
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
Yes my friend you should have, nothing like running through those gears the old school way, its better than you know what
Old 01-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #63
427Carl
427CARL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgraves View Post
Yes my friend you should have, nothing like running through those gears the old school way, its better than you know what
We are still having, so much, of that "you know what" (sex) I don't have energy to change gears..
Old 01-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #64
mcarney

Drives: SSRS CGM LS3
I traded my auto in after 26 days for a LS3. I didn't get my Camaro to sit in traffic, I got it to have fun. The fun of the tap shift didn't last very long.

When you're really good in a past life, you come back as yourself

Old 01-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #65
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
Well, if you had to sit in traffic for hours you would be saying something different. Thats why I wanted a A6. After this week it will be ECS tuned.
If I had to sit in traffic for hours I'd rather not have to put my foot on the brake the whole time. At least with a manual you can roll along in neutral.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #66
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
Quote:
I bought the M6 because of the additional power and I wanted the Vette engine. Plus, it was $1,200 cheaper than the auto.

GeorgeM
Guess what brother, maybe to the gearheads they might not take it seriously, but everyone else still gathers around my A6 when its out and about. So I'll still keep enjoying my auto. You can keep abusing your clutch... (just kiddin' I'm sure you are a very good stick driver)

In a drag race I still think the manual users have a better standing cause they need the skill of being able to shift correctly in order to get the performance of the car where the automatics don't have that challenge. So wether one is faster than the other is really up to how good the driver of the manual is at shifting- the battle being a totally stock auto vs. totally stock manual

Last edited by SILVERHAWK; 01-23-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #67
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarney View Post
I traded my auto in after 26 days for a LS3. I didn't get my Camaro to sit in traffic, I got it to have fun. The fun of the tap shift didn't last very long.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #68
Cristoff

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS in Red Jewel
Quote:

GeorgeM
If that type of garbage matters to you. Personally if another car owner doesn't take me seriously, I lose no sleep over it.

I have the Auto for the commute and anyone running down I580 towards the bay area in the morning knows this pain. If you bought a M6 just to have "street credit" with the in crowd, I feel nothing but pity for you.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #69
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:

GeorgeM
people always ask if its a manual... when they see somebody got a manual they know that person didn't get the car to drive it like a normal car.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #70
mhood
Orange Camaros Rule!

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3 RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERHAWK View Post
GIn a drag race I still think the manual users have a better standing cause they need the skill of being able to shift correctly in order to get the performance of the car where the automatics don't have that challenge. So wether one is faster than the other is really up to how good the driver of the manual is at shifting- the battle being a total stock auto vs. totally stock manual
Trust me...the LS3's tranny/clutch isn't one that you want to drag race with.

Closed Thread