Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-30-2022, 10:35 PM   #1
JimGnitecki

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT1
How hard to raise the driver's seat 1 inch or more?

How hard is it to raise the driver's seat 1 inch or more in the Camaro?

I am asking because I'm not very tall, and would be more comfortable with my visibility looking outside the car if I could raise the seat an inch or more above the current maximum height that the electric adjustor gets me to.

Can its mount points simply be shimmed and longer bolts installed to accept the shimming, or is this a lot more complicated?

And, is a DIY project or is it better to take it to a pro who can probably do it minutes?

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 06:41 AM   #2
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
Hello Jim,

IIRC you only recently picked up your new ride so congrats! I seem to recall a thread about this topic, but I think we've all heard that the "Search" function is not always as robust as one might hope, so maybe it is hard to find the info.

I, too, would be interested in raising the seat height by about the same amount. I'm 5'10" so outward sight isn't terrible -- once one has become used to it -- but I'd like to be higher.

Odd part, for me anyway, is that with neither the seat positioning nor the steering wheel being adjusted (AFAICT) to any "extreme", still I find that the top portion of the gauge cluster is blocked by the upper rim of the wheel, so I can't always tell if my blinkers or high beams are still on. If I was sitting higher I'd imagine this could be even worse!

Maybe swing by your dealership and try to go off-line with one of the mechanics -- not necessarily the $ervice de$k -- for some quick tips? Might be just as simple as you've wondered about. Post here with results of that convo!
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:05 AM   #3
JimGnitecki

I now have a downloaded copy of the 2016-2018 GM Camaro service manual, and I have looked through the section on the seats. From what I ca see there, raising the height is NOT going to be easy.

The front seats are held in place by 2 bolts at the rear and 2 "hooks" at the front.

The diagrams are very dense in complexity, so I cannot see how easy or how hard it would be to replace the 2 rear bolts with longer ones plus shim spacers to raise the seat. Might be possible.

But the hooks look to be integral to the frame of the seat, so a solution for the front end of the seat is not easy to imagine.

A typical GM dealership service technician is unlikely to have had any experience on the seats other than at most (and still unlikely) simple removal and replacement. He/she MIGHT be able to provide SOME helpful guidance.

I think a visit to a custom car shop might be more fruitful, as those guys sometimes (or even often) have to figure out hoe to install seats that weren't even OEM for the vehicle they are working on.

I'll try to find a local shop, or at least one reasonably nearby, to visit.

Unless someone here on the forum can chime in with some "hey, I've done that . . . " experience!

Jim G
Old 10-02-2022, 08:11 AM   #4
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Maybe https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Fit-Ch...78&sr=8-9&th=1?

Not the most elegant solution, but only $30 (US) to try.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:28 AM   #5
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
Maybe https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Fit-Ch...78&sr=8-9&th=1?

Not the most elegant solution, but only $30 (US) to try.
I just had Alea custom lipstick red leather seat covers installed, front and back seats, to liven up the car's interior, that exactly match the GM Redline trim package my car came with, so I really don't want to add anything that detracts from them! (see photo attached).

BUT, you raise a potentially viable idea if raising the seat frame height proves to be either impossible, impractical, or too costly. As a last resort, I could maybe have the same local upholstery shop as installed the Alea seat covers make me a cushion similar to the ad you referenced, that could perfectly match my seats with the same leather and white stitiching.

Some obvious potential problems with the separate cushion approach:

1. The separate cushion might make tight fast cornering a little less secure than being properly seated in the fixed-in-position seat

2. The separate cushion could promote abrasive wear of the Alea leather, which I absolutely would not want to do. Just getting in and out of the car would promote such wear.

Jim G
Attached Images

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 10-02-2022 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:32 AM   #6
JimGnitecki

Another POSSIBILTY might be to have the local upholstery shop add more foam under the Alea leather. However, I suspect it might not be possible to add much height without replacing the entire leather seat cushion with leather that has higher side height. Also, the driver seat would then look different than the passenger seat, requiring doing BOTH the driver seat and passenger seat. It could get very expensive.

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 10-02-2022 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:26 PM   #7
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
I just had Alea custom lipstick red leather seat covers installed, front and back seats, to liven up the car's interior, that exactly match the GM Redline trim package my car came with, so I really don't want to add anything that detracts from them! (see photo attached).

BUT, you raise a potentially viable idea if raising the seat frame height proves to be either impossible, impractical, or too costly. As a last resort, I could maybe have the same local upholstery shop as installed the Alea seat covers make me a cushion similar to the ad you referenced, that could perfectly match my seats with the same leather and white stitiching.

Some obvious potential problems with the separate cushion approach:

1. The separate cushion might make tight fast cornering a little less secure than being properly seated in the fixed-in-position seat

2. The separate cushion could promote abrasive wear of the Alea leather, which I absolutely would not want to do. Just getting in and out of the car would promote such wear.

Jim G
That interior pops! Did the console cover come stock as Red? Or did Alea supply that too? Everything looks really good…
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:30 AM   #8
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
How hard is it to raise the driver's seat 1 inch or more in the Camaro?

I am asking because I'm not very tall, and would be more comfortable with my visibility looking outside the car if I could raise the seat an inch or more above the current maximum height that the electric adjustor gets me to.

Can its mount points simply be shimmed and longer bolts installed to accept the shimming, or is this a lot more complicated?

And, is a DIY project or is it better to take it to a pro who can probably do it minutes?

Jim G
Sorry but I don't think this is possible. As someone pointed out, the seats are held in by slotting into a recess in the front and two bolts in the back, so not possible to shim it higher. And I don't think there would be a way to raise the cushion part either.

Not sure if your seats are different than mine as I have a 2SS, but it took me a while to find a seat adjustment that was just right.

I am 5'7" and I have all the seat adjustment I need.

I think part of what you may be experiencing is just the way the high belt-line and low roof of the car throws off your perception looking out of the car. It does take some getting used to.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:18 AM   #9
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
Sorry but I don't think this is possible. As someone pointed out, the seats are held in by slotting into a recess in the front and two bolts in the back, so not possible to shim it higher. And I don't think there would be a way to raise the cushion part either.

Not sure if your seats are different than mine as I have a 2SS, but it took me a while to find a seat adjustment that was just right.

I am 5'7" and I have all the seat adjustment I need.

I think part of what you may be experiencing is just the way the high belt-line and low roof of the car throws off your perception looking out of the car. It does take some getting used to.
I too am 5'7" in height. I agree that the high beltline and "chopped" roof are a perception issue. But i'd just feel more comfortable seated just a it higher. I DID find though that raising the rear part of the bottom cushion using the title control helps, but is limited in its help as I stat to then feel the front is a bit low for under-knee support.

I guess I just need to adapt to the limitation.

Jim G
Old 10-03-2022, 10:39 AM   #10
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
That interior pops! Did the console cover come stock as Red? Or did Alea supply that too? Everything looks really good…
Never mind, figured it out for myself… EBay
Old 10-03-2022, 10:47 AM   #11
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Never mind, figured it out for myself… EBay
Sorry, I had thought i had posted the awnser. Must have been on the other thread where someone asked that.

Alea provided the red console cover as part of the seat kit. The oEM console cover was charcoal liek the rest of the interior, except for the Redline accents on the knee braces and door panels.

Jim G
Old 10-03-2022, 12:45 PM   #12
Chutzpah

Quote:
Sorry, I had thought i had posted the awnser. Must have been on the other thread where someone asked that.

Alea provided the red console cover as part of the seat kit. The oEM console cover was charcoal liek the rest of the interior, except for the Redline accents on the knee braces and door panels.

Jim G
Ahhh, I see. Well, like I said, it looks great.

If my love of cloth wanes, I’ll definitely be looking at those covers (not a terrible price either). Way better looking than stock.