#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-09-2022, 05:46 PM   #1
pcelenta33

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Strange Roaring/Whining from the rear end

Hello Friends,

I recently got a 2020 ZLE M6 and it's currently at the Chevy local dealer.

I brought the car in for a strange noise coming from the rear end of the car. Here are the details...

-Roaring/Whining noise in the rear, honestly have never heard anything like it.
-Noise occurs ONLY under deceleration, no throttle, no brakes
-Occurs at all speeds and gets quieter as you decelerate
-It did not seem to impair any driving ability, all gears were working, no grinding in the midsection or upfront.

The car has been there 6 weeks now and this is what the dealer has done to my knowledge...
-Replaced the Diff
-Replaced one of the control arms and respective bushings, not sure why, this would not have been my first guess.

Now they are talking about getting it to a transmission tech, but I really don't understand how it could be that. I'm going to be heading to the dealer tomorrow to get some more answers, I haven't seen the car since I dropped it off so I am getting antsy as you could probably imagine haha

Any thoughts?
pcelenta33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 06:01 PM   #2
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I would go back and get the car and drive it until something happens or breaks. Your warranty should cover any repairs needed if and when something does happen to your ZLE!
Old 09-09-2022, 06:20 PM   #3
pcelenta33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
I would go back and get the car and drive it until something happens or breaks. Your warranty should cover any repairs needed if and when something does happen to your ZLE!
Honestly you have the right idea... it's been there 6 weeks now and I just think it's getting a little out of hand. I appreciate the input.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:39 PM   #4
taylorforschool@gmail.com
PKG4U

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcelenta33 View Post
Honestly you have the right idea... it's been there 6 weeks now and I just think it's getting a little out of hand. I appreciate the input.
I’m running on 3 weeks here, for the 2nd time. I was just informed today that my car was driven and issue confirmed. Since this is the 2nd time in so recently for a similar issue, I was told I am getting a full transmission rebuild this time, as opposed to a few solenoids, valve body, fluids, and gaskets. If I’ve learned anything,I’m not too sure these local dealerships ( I live in the largest city in my state) always know everything they are supposed to. I’m not sure if paid dealership work is expedited any quicker in these times but the wait times and games service departments play these days… are really the only problem I have with a Chevy..

Mods after Warranty “Imma keep it stock”
taylorforschool@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 10:29 PM   #5
ZLRob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
That's either a bad ring and pinion which has a incorrectly set/ poor contact pattern or a bearing on the diff itself.

I had an old 05 GTO where the thread in style bearing on the IRS diff backed out and continued to back out until it let go. I had no idea what happened because everything appeared intact until the diff was finally removed and on the ground. It had a roaring/ whining issue only at decel as well if I remember correctly. Though it may have been at accel. It happened so long ago that I can't remember anymore. I'm not saying it could be that, but I would be careful with your driving, especially given the sound you are hearing.
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

ZLRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 08:11 AM   #6
cjperformance

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLRob View Post
That's either a bad ring and pinion which has a incorrectly set/ poor contact pattern or a bearing on the diff itself.

I had an old 05 GTO where the thread in style bearing on the IRS diff backed out and continued to back out until it let go. I had no idea what happened because everything appeared intact until the diff was finally removed and on the ground. It had a roaring/ whining issue only at decel as well if I remember correctly. Though it may have been at accel. It happened so long ago that I can't remember anymore. I'm not saying it could be that, but I would be careful with your driving, especially given the sound you are hearing.
I would agree but he said they replaced the diff. What about halfshafts and wheel bearings? Or even something rubbing the driveshaft, or the DS itself?
CircleD 3K Stall | QA1 CF Driveshaft
Forgestar F14 Drag 17x10 NT555R2 305/45/17 Rear
Forgestar F14 18x8 NT555G2 235/50/18 Front
10.84@131 w/4.13" pulley
??.??@??? w/3.7" pulley (installed & tuning)
cjperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 11:52 AM   #7
ZLRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjperformance View Post
I would agree but he said they replaced the diff. What about halfshafts and wheel bearings? Or even something rubbing the driveshaft, or the DS itself?
Halfshafts do not fail in that fashion and since they are incapable of turning in the rear, the only duty they ever see in the rear is torque distribution to the wheels. They are in essence dummie units. Wheel bearings, possibly, but you indicated the noise was specifically coming from the rear end, so my first thought is something in or attached to the rear end.

Driveshaft, possibly, the center carrier bearing is also capable of causing that noise. If you can just lay down behind the car and take a look at things and see if anything looks amiss or out of the ordinary.

The only other thing you can do is take it and have another shop inspect it. Too many possibilities.
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

Old 09-10-2022, 01:30 PM   #8
pcelenta33

Quote:
Halfshafts do not fail in that fashion and since they are incapable of turning in the rear, the only duty they ever see in the rear is torque distribution to the wheels. They are in essence dummie units. Wheel bearings, possibly, but you indicated the noise was specifically coming from the rear end, so my first thought is something in or attached to the rear end.

Driveshaft, possibly, the center carrier bearing is also capable of causing that noise. If you can just lay down behind the car and take a look at things and see if anything looks amiss or out of the ordinary.

The only other thing you can do is take it and have another shop inspect it. Too many possibilities.

I appreciate the Input guys. I spoke to the dealer today and they had it hooked up to chassis ears, but they will be removing them and I am picking the car up on Monday. I will probably be taking it to another shop to get a a second pair of eyes on it.

They did mention they changed the wheel bearings as well so that's another item off the list.

Apparently they escalated the issue to chevy engineers and even with their trouble shooting they could not get it figured out. At the same time they also were very confident that this was not a safety issue although it still is a little concerning. I took it to a popular dealer in the Twin Cities area and they have not experienced anything like it to their knowledge, great....

I'll fill yall in when I get the car back.
Old 09-10-2022, 03:03 PM   #9
ZLRob

Quote:
I appreciate the Input guys. I spoke to the dealer today and they had it hooked up to chassis ears, but they will be removing them and I am picking the car up on Monday. I will probably be taking it to another shop to get a a second pair of eyes on it.

They did mention they changed the wheel bearings as well so that's another item off the list.

Apparently they escalated the issue to chevy engineers and even with their trouble shooting they could not get it figured out. At the same time they also were very confident that this was not a safety issue although it still is a little concerning. I took it to a popular dealer in the Twin Cities area and they have not experienced anything like it to their knowledge, great....

I'll fill yall in when I get the car back.
If they have not deemed it a safety issue then you need to get that in writing, as any issue which may rear it's ugly head while the car is under your possession after the fact will hinge solely on that invoice they gave you and will or will not be covered or taken care of if you have that or don't. Drive safely and be careful out there if you do take it out.
737 HP/ 779 TQ

Old 09-10-2022, 08:24 PM   #10
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
I vaguely recall seeing a thread on here that said howling could be caused by improper oil in the eDiff.

You might want to get it back from that dealer and take it somewhere else and have them pump out the old eDiff fluid and watch them put the ACDelco stuff in there yourself. I recently did this on my car.
NG329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 08:44 PM   #11
pcelenta33

Quote:
If they have not deemed it a safety issue then you need to get that in writing, as any issue which may rear it's ugly head while the car is under your possession after the fact will hinge solely on that invoice they gave you and will or will not be covered or taken care of if you have that or don't. Drive safely and be careful out there if you do take it out.
Good looks, I will be sure to get something formal from them before I get it back.
Old 09-10-2022, 08:48 PM   #12
pcelenta33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post
I vaguely recall seeing a thread on here that said howling could be caused by improper oil in the eDiff.

You might want to get it back from that dealer and take it somewhere else and have them pump out the old eDiff fluid and watch them put the ACDelco stuff in there yourself. I recently did this on my car.
If you happen to see that thread let me know. I've been searching and can't find anything.

I'll give that fluid change a shot, they told me they changed the diff but honestly who knows I'll try anything at this point.
Old 09-10-2022, 09:32 PM   #13
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
If you happen to see that thread let me know. I've been searching and can't find anything.

I'll give that fluid change a shot, they told me they changed the diff but honestly who knows I'll try anything at this point.

Here's one I came across. A few guys mentioned that the groaning stopped after the fluid change. There's a specific procedure to ensure the correct amount of fluid is in the diff housing. Also, the correct ACDelco fluid has an additive in it.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535411
NG329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 06:52 AM   #14
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post
This is correct. If the incorrect oil is added without the friction modifier, it can cause a slip-stick groan in the clutches: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...37572-9999.pdf

Also found a TSB for an incorrectly machined surface of the carrier bearing bore (prior to 2020 MY but you never know): https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...72810-9999.pdf

Good luck!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote